Practical electric bike?

Bender

With under 90 miles range and a price over £10k it is an expensive bike.

You can get better machines with longer range.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advice/best/electric-motorbikes/

The issue is still the charging time of several hours to be practical.

Good for short commute and if you live in Scotland you can get 0% interest loan :thumb:

I'm not entirely against electric power . All of my RC planes are electric now . I hasten to add that mine are all at the other end of the scale to this thing .

plex_wp_edited_image.thumb.jpg.90cd4feb7242705d2b600bdcc11cd5c3.jpg

I'm not entirely against electric power . All of my RC planes are electric now . I hasten to add that mine are all at the other end of the scale to this thing .

I used to fly my electrics on a field at the bottom of our road. There was a footpath some distance away which I avoided but sometimes people would wander over and watch. If they got too close or just began to annoy me I just did a low pass at full throttle and they decided they'd seen enough.

I must confess I do enjoy the more gentle kind of models more, they are more of an aeroplane and less of a guided missile.

This one is leaner legal :thumb:

Which is quite scary, I have taken the opinion that its not top speed causes accidents its how quick you get there...

A new rider could easily find themselves going to quick to easy on a bike like that... I looked at electric bikes both "pedal assist" and "motor", I could deal with the range on one of my bikes. How ever it was still cheaper to run a motorbike for many years than an electric bike..

They will come and have no issues with that but they have to work and be affordable or how it may end up the only choice....

I still believe that electricity is for vacuum cleaners, blenders, hair dryers etc.

As long they don’t get same or better range with same speeds as petrol vehicles, 5 min charging time, at least same price as petrol counterparts,

And still they will be ghostly quiet, half of the trill is the exhaust music.

Hope governments will not prohibit petrol bikes at least next 15 years, after that who cares. :thumb:

It's not so much about top speed with electric but more about the torque available at the throttle, 0-60 in the blink of an eye, once these machines become more obtainable there will also be an increase in used spares as so many will get binned within a short time of ownership :thumb:

I used to fly my electrics on a field at the bottom of our road. There was a footpath some distance away which I avoided but sometimes people would wander over and watch. If they got too close or just began to annoy me I just did a low pass at full throttle and they decided they'd seen enough.

I must confess I do enjoy the more gentle kind of models more, they are more of an aeroplane and less of a guided missile.

I enjoy the gentle kind of models too . Most of mine are scaled up Keil Kraft rubber powered designs built from plans with micro RC and outrunner motors . Not something that could be done when I first started building 50 years ago .

I still believe that electricity is for vacuum cleaners, blenders, hair dryers etc.

As long they don’t get same or better range with same speeds as petrol vehicles, 5 min charging time, at least same price as petrol counterparts,

Hope governments will not prohibit petrol bikes at least next 15 years, after that who cares. :thumb:

When was the last time you had a drive where you had to refuel halfway the trip?

Newer EV's have a range of 200 to 350 miles. Do you drive that far every day?

When was the last time you had a drive where you had to refuel halfway the trip?

Unfortunately I don’t drive every day, I don’t commute, but when I have a time and chance to drive yes I doo much more than that. And despite the range, it takes me just few minutes to refill 60 litres tank or les for motorcycle 23 litres.

As I wrote I don’t commute and all my drives/rides are for pleasure only

I think it's the charge time. 6 hours for 140km is nuts. 20 mins, fine. I often ride more than 140km in a day. Yes you'd have a charging point at home so it would be good to go every morning, but 6 hours... Not ready yet.