1970s education revival

MarkW

I made some comments on here a while ago about a national education system that avoids 'intimidating' children with red ink or frank criticism being little more than a production line for a steady stream of socially incompetent and emotionally retarded limp-dicks who are completely incapable of coping with the realities of life. I may even have suggested - slightly tongue-in-cheek - that far from wrapping kids in cotton wool at school what was really needed was a return to the good old days of 1970s education where teachers routinely bullied, humiliated and assaulted kids just for the fun of it.

Spin forward to today, and I see in the news that campaigners are claiming victory in their battle against 'intimidating' and thuggish' debt letters:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54433621

The example they give of the sort of thing they are complaining about is this:

"IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE ACTION REQUIRED BY THIS NOTICE BEFORE THE DATE SHOWN THEN THE FURTHER ACTION SET OUT BELOW MAY BE TAKEN AGAINST YOU."

I wouldn't class that as remotely intimidating or thuggish - merely a straightforward statement of fact printed in a way that you're not likely to miss. But apparently the combination of capital letters and bold type face is just too much for these spineless jellies to cope with, and so the Treasury has stepped in and decided that they need to be mollycoddled even more.

:roll:

Every month for the past 18 or so years i have had one of these pop through my letterbox.. or a variation of. this is this months...

im not offended.. i just drop it in the bin. but open it up and its full of threats.

P1000067.thumb.JPG.176b28eff487fbc7cf8c2939470d1c6d.JPG

the 1970s were a simpler time.

Edited by Gerontious

I still blame the banks and credit card companies for giving loans and high credit values on cards to people who being on low income can't afford it.

This is a risk that it should be imposed to the finance institutions and not the consumers.

The issue is not the aggressivity of the bailiffs and debt collectors but those who give money away without any consideration if the recipients can pay it back.

One of the many unpleasant surprises my old man left for us when he topped himself was a mountain of debt, courtesy of the worst sort of loan sharks you can imagine. For months afterwards I'd be home alone as a 15 year old boy, the front door bell would ring and there would be one or two of their collection 'agents' on the doorstep (and for 'agents' read mentally retarded subhuman criminal thugs). But I dealt with it and survived, although it has left me rather less inclined to indulge some delicate little flower who's whining on about how their mental health has been adversely affected by the contents of a letter.

:wink:

Every month for the past 18 or so years i have had one of these pop through my letterbox.. or a variation of. this is this months...

im not offended.. i just drop it in the bin. but open it up and its full of threats.

P1000067.JPG

the 1970s were a simpler time.

TV detector vans were complete phonies, there was nothing in them. They were just old vans with some aerials stuck to the roof.