Strange police behaviour

Davidtav

I’m fairly new back to biking after 20 years … so anyway sunny day today so took my Z650 out. As I was exiting a roundabout. Very safely. On to an A road there was a police car approaching. No other traffic. I just had a feeling that the police vehicle was going to go round the roundabout and follow me. Indeed he did. And for a few minutes seemed to hang right back. I made sure my speed was below 60. The police car then caught up with me and pulled completely out in to the opposing lane. Thought he was going to overtake and I slacked off the speed to 55. However police didn’t overtake. Just stayed in the opposing lane. Just off my right shoulder actually. I found it a bit strange. Stayed there for what seemed like ages. Until a vehicle came from opposite direction actually. Then pulled in right behind me. Still followed me for a couple of miles. I just kept speed at 55ish. I wondered if I should pull over. But there were no sirens or blue lights. Eventually police car overtook … I found the whole thing bizarre. Especially the driving on the wrong side of the road. I don’t get this sort of thing when I’m driving the car.

So if you're bike had been nicked and you had just given a description of the bike and possibly the theif to the Police , wouldn't you expect the Police to make some effort to recover it that might include having a good look at any bikes being ridden in the area ? Whatever they were doing , they probably had a good reason to be doing it . Best to let it go .

If your bike is nicked, they put the number plate on the national database and it's checked by every ANPR camera in the country. My guess is they don't ask the local coppers to drive on the wrong side of the road and follow any bikes they come across.

Nearly new, was the bike? Deffo they were just admiring it.

David

Never pull over over unless they put the blues n two's on.

1) they could deem it suspicious behavior ( yes, really!)

2) on another occasion they may not be police, I've heard of thieves dressing a car up to look like a police car in order to steal someone's vehicle (usually high end cars, but it could happen to a biker)

Agreed, it was strange behaviour - possibly they thought you were dodgy and trying to freak you out into racing off.

But you did exactly the right thing - relax, stay legal, carry on 👍

Could have been doing the blue light driver training, pulling out and maintaining a position of safety without actually overtaking. Allows them to see further down the road but be able to move back in behind the near side vehicle if a car comes in the opposite direction .... failing that, as said, they were admiring your bike :D

I had something similar a few years back. Except I was on a push bike coming up to a speed camera and I was determined to set it off. The coppers spotted what I was up to and were killing themselves laughing when I managed to trigger it.

Could have been doing the blue light driver training, pulling out and maintaining a position of safety without actually overtaking. Allows them to see further down the road but be able to move back in behind the near side vehicle if a car comes in the opposite direction .... failing that, as said, they were admiring your bike :D

Stands a chance the instructors like you to look for the overtakes and follows and demonstrate it. Or as previously said running the vehicle through but most forces use mobiles now for checks.

I had something similar a few years back. Except I was on a push bike coming up to a speed camera and I was determined to set it off. The coppers spotted what I was up to and were killing themselves laughing when I managed to trigger it.

You can hear it now... "The only time I saw anyone trigger one of those cameras for real, it was a vicar on a bicycle!"

As an ex cop, the most likely explanation is that something triggered interest in the bike, such as it roughly matched a description of a stolen bike or bike used in a crime and then there was a delay conducting checks.

You can't ne done for speeding

You could have been charged with cycling furiously to which camera evidence and police witnesses could have attested too, it only carries a maximum 2years sentence 😁

You could have been charged with cycling furiously to which camera evidence and police witnesses could have attested too, it only carries a maximum 2years sentence 😁

I know you can't be done for speeding on a push bike, nor can you be done for being drunk. A mate was stopped by the police whilst riding home from the pub and they used the Victorian law of riding furiously on the public highway. Unless you are a clergyman and then you can quote the offences against the person act 1861 which states that is an offence to obstruct a clergyman in the performance of their duties...even if they are drunk in charge of a bicycle and going too fast.

I know you can't be done for speeding on a push bike, nor can you be done for being drunk. A mate was stopped by the police whilst riding home from the pub and they used the Victorian law of riding furiously on the public highway. Unless you are a clergyman and then you can quote the offences against the person act 1861 which states that is an offence to obstruct a clergyman in the performance of their duties...even if they are drunk in charge of a bicycle and going too fast.

Will remember that one, never know when it will come in handy lol

Push bikes can still be done for careless and dangerous riding, they can also ride on payments if they are afraid of the traffic

My first thought was is the bike new to you?

Was the last owner known to the police for his antics?

or similar bike in area with owner known for his antics?

Or as [mention]Six30[/mention] says they might just of been checking you out? where they WPC's?

I’ve owned the bike from new. It’s just over a year old. … there has been some very good advice to me on this thread. And I appreciate that … I’m certainly not going to dwell on it. … I think the most likely explanation is that I matched a description and they were checking me out … little realising it was an old codger playing with his toy!

I’ve owned the bike from new. It’s just over a year old. … there has been some very good advice to me on this thread. And I appreciate that … I’m certainly not going to dwell on it. … I think the most likely explanation is that I matched a description and they were checking me out … little realising it was an old codger playing with his todger !

Ha, that’ll be why then 🤣🤣