Scratched Shad Top Box

Nothing that some plastic filler, 3 coats of spray primer for plastic.

5 to 7 coats of spray paint and it will be as good as new.

You can apply 3 to 5 coats of clear to protect from scratches a wee bit more but it will give a metallic glossy finish.

Is such a small area that you can do the whole job with spray cans at a low cost. :cheers:

My old Versys, before and after I repainted the lower silver fairings using Halfords plastic primer and black plastic bumper paint;

8900078366_fdd2246caa_c.jpg

14721188308_ddd446a52e_c.jpg

Scratches and wear from ribbing off my boot showed up badly on the silver. The black was fine.

OK......figured the way forward to get it looking better.....but I've found another obstacle! I can't get the bloody box off!

It's weird cos there's a Shad plate mounted where it should be......but the box isn't even mounted on it.

It seems more like the plate is part of the box and it's mounted on four legs!

Surely it can't be that you have to dismantle the whole thing to release the box?

20201009_144421-min.thumb.jpg.d2598d9ab991b3fa34038774c8c145a8.jpg

+1 no stickers, do it properly :cheers:

You haven't seen the sight of my top box! It works hard for a living.

Start with filler dedicated for plastic )ABS) for the large scratches.

Plenty of sanding and redoing the filler until you're happy with surface. (and I mean HAPPY)

This can take 3 or 4 layers depending on your ability and how perfect you want it. But if you think you should do more don't be shy.

3 coats of primer should be 3 to 4mm which gives you enough sanding thickness for small marks.

VERY IMPORTANT: More time in preparation will give you a better finish so don't save on elbow grease and spend as much time as you need!!

5 to 7 coats of spray paint should be around 1 to 2mm the stuff is very thin and won't cover enough if less than 5 coats.

3 to 5 coats of clear for protection (optional but highly recommended)

You will end up with a shiny perfect finish top box that will make everybody jealous ;) :thumb:

As I said before, unless you have a spray gun spray cans work as good as the gun although more expensive but cheaper than getting a compressor and the gun.

I'll fill it and spray it though in case I ever need to use it.

I couldn't take the one off the Strom because they'd wired it in to the brake lights.

This is what it looks like now......it's starting to come together!

0910-min.thumb.jpg.6cee1ef3ee9215140f29efdc27eb5015.jpg

0911-min.thumb.jpg.4bad6d0b7aa29d7f3b44da1316117a36.jpg

Spare parts ?

Thing is, I don't really use a box now.......it was essential for the Albox tea bag runs, but now we go in the car.

So it would only be used very infrequently......not worth replacing parts on it.