ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN... ANYBODY GOT ONE / ARE THEY ANY GOOD??

detainer

Any one got a Himalayan?

Questions...... are they any good?..... Would you buy another?...... What sort of speed can they maintain comfortably?

What problems have any owners had?....... etc

Thinking of one for a 3 month tour around Scotland and Some of the islands in the spring / early summer of 2021.

Any useful thoughts much appreciated

Many thanks.

( You..YES , you...sat at the back....stop sniggering )

Top class kit .... throughly recommended ... life long two and 4 stroke high performance rider .. and lots of MZ's ... :D https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73644#p1151978

Himma is a breath of fresh air , reliable and comfortable ... although at 6' 2" i could do with a higher seat so i strap a swimming float on ... works fine ...

Designed for owner servicing ... Bought mine with 400 miles on the clock for less than £4K ....

Why would anyone be sniggering ?????? :twisted:

20200917_152215.thumb.jpg.0f866266f5a1547bc2e00ff5faea1329.jpg

And today ... with the bar guards and screen refitted for the winter .....

fullsizeoutput_370.thumb.jpeg.44b6cf7ee6db3a2ed2b848ab7b10b743.jpeg

A 4k bike that's been on market for 2 years yet cannot be easily found for under 3k second hand...

Even battered and used days to me people like them..

Most new vehicles loose 1/4 of there value in 2 years even beaten and battered...

I had one for 18 months and put 9k miles on it. In general great bike even for 2 up touring, changed a few things like the pads for sintered ones which were an improvement. And added hand guards and Oxford grips.

I had issues of misting clocks, corrosion on the pannier rails and gear selector sensor issues. I kept on top of the maintainance but met a brick wall with the dealership, eventually getting the stuff sorted. I'm sure if I had another dealer it wouldn't have been the issue it we as I know cooperb are great dealers. I chopped mine in for a tracer 900gt as the wife and I do a lot more touring now.

I think royal Enfield would have been better spending another 500 to a grand on better quality on some parts and it would have been spot on. For what you want it will tour just fine it can go up to 80 but cruises nicely at 60-65

My dealers, Manhattan Motorcycles of Sheffield are superb ... brilliant support, sorted a couple of minor warranty issues ... sorted a recall for rear brake calliper sticking by replacing front and rear callipers and master cylinder !!.... and got all their money back from RE .... .... Faultless ....

20200916_144706.thumb.jpg.6402225e4bfd83f05ca658fb73d46882.jpg

That's great news and the way it should be I had to sort caliper issues myself under warranty. Clearly QB motorcycles in the west mids did not want my business I know a few vespa owners that say the same. It's so important to have a good dealer I'm lucky now DMC motorcycles have been great with my current bike. Royal Enfield needs to open up their dealer network more to give more choice and competition there are no other dealers local to me which was a shame. Seems the new 650s are in a other league in terms of reliability etc but the first product if the new bruntingthorpe setup I suppose.

If i understand what my dealer tells me the engine of the Himalayan is a product of the Coventry / Bruntingthorpe design house set up ... the new 650 are lovely bits of kit ... but no longer part of my biking world ... The Himma and my MZ 300 will do for me ...

The Himalayan took Itchy Boots from India to Holland and through much of S. America before the pandemic put a stop to her gallop. I was impressed. Look for her series on YouTube.

As a Interceptor owner, I think the new generation REs are a class apart and shouldn't be judged on the poor record of the Bullets.

Post by Gerontious » 10 Oct 2020 14:11

no. and probably just about adequate. if you're a masochist.

So good to get a detailed, in depth, considered and totally unbiased reply.

I really cant thank you enough..... lol

BUT I do, sincerely, thank you all for your replies both long and short.

Having read more and done further research I may have to put a Himalayan

aside for now and have a rethink as I have just over 300 miles to go to get

anywhere near to where I want to start off from and at 50 -60 mph thats a pretty long

trip. Could do with something a bit quicker probably........ On the other hand......whats the rush??

Just wait until he falls off his Africa Twin and can't pick it up ...lol

Although if a recent AT ... he will be spending more time playing on the onboard computer than actually riding it ... :lol:

anywhere near to where I want to start off from and at 50 -60 mph thats a pretty long

trip. Could do with something a bit quicker probably........ On the other hand......whats the rush??

you're welcome.. and your answer above really sums up why its not a bike i would consider. Back at the start of september i did a smidge under 3,600 miles over 14 days. and that involved a 500 mile ride to get to where i wanted to 'start from'. 220+ miles from here to the tunnel.. and then another 280 miles through the Covid ravaged Wastelands.. to somewhere i could actually stop for a coffee. the idea of doing that on a RE. hence my use of the word: Masochism.

I never snigger at peoples choices. if an RE suits you (or anyone) then thats just fine by me. :thumb:

I guess the name of the bike is appropriate though... theres little need for motorway speeds in the Himalayas. Does the KKH have a speed limit?

you're welcome.. and your answer above really sums up why its not a bike i would consider. Back at the start of september i did a smidge under 3,600 miles over 14 days. and that involved a 500 mile ride to get to where i wanted to 'start from'. 220+ miles from here to the tunnel.. and then another 280 miles through the Covid ravaged Wastelands.. to somewhere i could actually stop for a coffee. the idea of doing that on a RE. hence my use of the word: Masochism.

I never snigger at peoples choices. if an RE suits you (or anyone) then thats just fine by me. :thumb:

I guess the name of the bike is appropriate though... theres little need for motorway speeds in the Himalayas. Does the KKH have a speed limit?

backpedaling34.jpg.6c576729969067f3850b33daa991b028.jpg

Because Honda Africa Twin riders have off road adventures ...... ????

Or is it just us " just about adequate " guys and girls on Himma's ...

fullsizeoutput_374.thumb.jpeg.a30ee100359fffa6f5a2bfa13bdb568b.jpeg

I'm off to Salisbury to test a train on Wednesday ... just a 400 mile ride out.... on my " just about adequate " motorbike ....

• 2 weeks later...

I was COVID lockdown level bored which is the only excuse I have for posting back here! Plus cos this one kinda struck a chord.

It’s a massively underestimated bike.

If you’re intending to do the majority of your riding over 65mph then this is not the bike for you.

However if you like most peeps aren’t gonna be on the motorway the majority of the ride it will service you well.

It’s slow n chuggy but somehow that aids the beautiful views not being stolen by going too fast and yet suddenly there you are cruising atop a reliable steed with the bike simply taking you where ever your mind wanders.

I’ve tried this bike out in a variety of settings and it’s not let me down. Not even in the Welsh valleys second inline to a road racing crazy face did it let me down. Not even in the deepest awful mud and water did it fail.

ps to anyone I’ve not seen for the last yearish or so Hi, glad you’re still alive.

It’s slow n chuggy

Hi good to see you back.

I had been eyeing these up as an alternative to my TDM. Which is a great bike but I am not keen on the speed chuggyness of that.

That's the first review that's made me think again...

It comes into its own off road. It gets some negative commentary from the mud pluggers cos of its weight and ground clearance but it couldnt be easier to handle.

The weights very low and its well balanced, the seat height suits most people (even shorties). Chris Scott and Nathan Millward who are both respected overlanders own and rate the bike well.

It goes where you point it regardless of the surface so people who actually own them love them warts n all. The warts are the brakes, pathetic ABS, dodgy side stand thats too tall and a headlight that could do with being a bit brighter.

They dont hide that its only 24.5bhp so youre gonna get just that which if youre used to more power is a bit of a surprise but once you adjust your mindset its a bike full of smiles.

I went to sell mine (didnt want to but part ex seemed sensible at the time) left it at a dealers in Swindon and within a week found myself rushing back to get it because I knew it was a mistake. A lot of capability for very little money. All steel so if you have an oops it all simply bends back rather than breaking or snapping parts like most bikes. Plus its a bike that wears it bashes well. There are strong rumours the new Himalayan will have a touch more power but this is unconfirmed. It will have better brakes, better ABS, better side stand though which would be a bonus.

If you’re getting one then Id consider forking out for a days off roading. There are off road centres that use only Himalayans (so you mash up their bikes while youre learning) based in Ledbury and another in Dorset that are worth a go. There are probably some based further up the country too but being a softy southerner I wudna know! Itll give the opportunity to really get to know the bike before committing.

Im going on a one this Friday, should be a laugh!

Any one got a Himalayan?

Questions...... are they any good?..... Would you buy another?...... What sort of speed can they maintain comfortably?

What problems have any owners had?....... etc

Thinking of one for a 3 month tour around Scotland and Some of the islands in the spring / early summer of 2021.

Any useful thoughts much appreciated

Many thanks.

( You..YES , you...sat at the back....stop sniggering )

A good choice for a tour of Northwest Scotland . Speed and power count for nothing once you get into the single track roads . I've been touring Scotland for years on all kinds of bikes but without a doubt the best riding I've done was on an ER5 .

wp_ss_20181104_0002.thumb.png.bdf7af293fa9a40933a74a51da553b7c.png