Winter gloves

It's getting to that time of year again where it's cold and dark most days.

I used a pair of five gloves last winter and they were great for keeping me dry and not frozen but not warm.

I'd like something waterproof, armoured and warm. Five gloves have palm sliders which I think is important.

Are Knox zero 3 mk 2 any good? Or should I spend twice that on heated gloves?

I can't vouch for Zero 3 but I do own a pair of Zero 2 and they are my go to pair of gloves when I ride in the winter,I can say they provide decent protection and warmth for my commute to work.

I also swap them around from time to time with my Richa Cold protect gore-tex gloves but they don't provide as good protection as the Zero 2.

I'm seriously thinking of heated gloves this year. But it's worth repeating something I've said before, a pair of good quality washing up gloves under your leathers works really well at insulation and keeping your hands dry. I always carry a pair in the top box.

I'm seriously thinking of heated gloves this year. But it's worth repeating something I've said before, a pair of good quality washing up gloves under your leathers works really well at insulation and keeping your hands dry. I always carry a pair in the top box.

I don't know about the rest of you but whenever I wear rubber/vinyl/latex gloves my hands are soaking wet after a few minutes so defeats the object.

I don't know about the rest of you but whenever I wear rubber/vinyl/latex gloves my hands are soaking wet after a few minutes so defeats the object.

That was my reaction too . Sounds horrible .

If anything you want to wear thin cotton gloves under your bike gloves for extra warmth as long as your bike ones are waterproof :thumb:

J&S have some silk liners :thumb: https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/edz-silk-liner-glove-black/36479.htm

:thumb: to silk under gloves & they work in the summer to keep your hands cooler. Combined with RST heated gloves I've ridden for 6 hours in February & not had cold hands or fingers, but they're not waterproof & don't have palm sliders.

Have you thought installing about heated grips? I think they're an absolute godsend and they give you a bit more flexibility with regard to winter glove choices.

I have thought about heated grips. However a couple of things put me off. First, I plan on selling my bike in spring and moving up to something bigger so seems like a waste of money.

2nd is I commute in London so most of my journey is spent with my fingers hovering the levers meaning only a little strip of contact with the grips for any length of time. Would be different if I was on motorways or something.

I got some silk loners. They do help. Marigolds is a new suggestion to me.

Five do a battery heated glove but it's nearly £300

I can't vouch for Zero 3 but I do own a pair of Zero 2 and they are my go to pair of gloves when I ride in the winter,I can say they provide decent protection and warmth for my commute to work.

I also swap them around from time to time with my Richa Cold protect gore-tex gloves but they don't provide as good protection as the Zero 2.

This is good to hear. Reviews can't really tell how it feels and trying them on in a heated shop doesn't help either

Washing up gloves have a liner that is insulated so your hands stay dry rather than sweat. Try it, it works.

I have tried washing up gloves, it takes a bit longer but I still end up with wet hands.

Try decent quality gloves. Your pound shop bargains won't do the job.

Washing up gloves have a liner that is insulated so your hands stay dry rather than sweat. Try it, it works.

I have tried washing up gloves, it takes a bit longer but I still end up with wet hands.

Try decent quality gloves. Your pound shop bargains won't do the job.

My wife doesn't buy cheap stuff, Marigolds for us, I still sweat with whatever non breathable gloves I wear.

Non breathable rubber type gloves really do not work for me. Silk liner gloves are good and for very cold weather a blend of silk and merino wool works very well. That said I tend not to ride if the temperature is below 2 C.

I am not certain what your bike is but, both my bikes have grips like these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373224971086

Yes they are cheap but they work and the control is placed on handlebars. Easy to adjust and no ugly control box's. They are 5 and 3 years old, the only problem I had was when Triumph did not plug them in properly :?

Edit to add: they do not get as hot as Oxford grips, when I first got them I thought this would be problem. Conversely my hands never got hot enough to sweat, so stayed warmer..

I added these over the top for comfort as I like a bigger grip.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164373891472

If your commuting you could consider hassle bar muffs to keep the warmth in. I have never found a need for these but one bike has handle bar guards.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/14468376882241732061?q=ryde+handlebar+muffs&biw=360&bih=544&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&sxsrf=ALeKk00b_ktvMisTaSXlCCywXo2nkxV16g:1601656364738&prds=epd:17145889307026124893,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

I have found without heated grips no glove is good enough, you keep hands dry but not warm.

For dry hands I have found Gortex is best. I also like and inner and outer cuffs. Other wise water goes up sleave or rind into glove when stopped.. although they are a PITA To put on.

Edited by onesea

I put a pair of cheap bar muffs on my commuter in winter (£20) just like the ones in the link. They have been cut to go around the mirrors but work well keeping the cold off, but I do have heated grips too.

Anybody use/tried any portable battery rechargeable heated gloves. I wonder how good thsy are? :scratch:

I bought some from Maplins. They caught fire.

At least your hands were warm. :seeya:

The wife bought these as a Christmas present for me last year, I rode the bike through the winter on the daily commute, admittedly its only a 34 mile round trip, but can happily say, with confidence, that they did keep my hands dry in the rain, I had heated grips on the bike, the only part of my hands that suffered was the tips of my fingers, I also wore glove liners. The gloves felt a little stiff and awkward at first, presumably due to the armour, once I'd worn them a few times they were great. Winters on its way back again and these will be my glove of choice for the forthcoming bad weather.

rukka_glove_argosaurus_black.jpg.23110e1db5405a40b7249ea0b4f9cfab.jpg

I also bought some silk motorcycle gloove liners for use under my winter glooves, hsvdnt tried them yet but heard they mske a difference.