CBT - Experiences of other Members

• 2 weeks later...

My cbt was awesome. First one was on a rev and rip. Rode it 20mins the night before. The guy was totally smazing. Second one ive done was on a geared bike and again no experience to speak of but the instructor could not have been more oatient and helpful. Just doing DAS with the same chap. Nothing is too much trouble with this guy. We have since sent 3 people to him.

So i'm heading for my CBT on Sat .. and am feeling nervous - as it gets nearer (I did a taster a couple of weeks ago so should be fine.. but can't help with the nerves)

Good luck good to be a bit nervous rather than super confident.....it's going to be dry so a good start

I found the CBT - a really really long day. My poor brain had so many things to get my head around. I was far better at slow control - than during the taster 2 weeks ago - I managed the figure 8.. and the U turn .

Road wise was again a bit more overwhelming - corners are a bit scary - and so is looking at a parked car - and remembering to look ahead.. rather than at the car!

I was not that confident in 'rush hour' traffic, it was busy there were 2 police cars and an ambulance then a lot of 'slow' traffic (I'm guessing an accident up ahead) .

The guy with me had done a lot of time on a twist and turn and was super road confident... he also knew the area!

I got through it - and have a CBT.. but I feel a bit like I need to automate a lot of processes.. and gain 'road skills' .. I think the instructor was debating whether I was ready - which didn't give me much confidence either (BUT.. my OH will go out with me to practice.. so fingers crossed that will be ok).

Well done. After my CBT I waited two weeks for my bike and felt like I might as well have not done I CBT. I could not remember it.

I stated small. Around the block for a bit, extended the nick. Rode to easy practice areas I knew. I did that every evening for 300 miles and was soon confident to rely on my bike for transport. :-)

• Like 1

I loved my CBT. I was very nervous about it as I hadn't ridden a geared bike since my early twenties. It all came back pretty soon. I've been driving cars for 15 years and do a lot of cycling, so my road awareness was already pretty good. I'm now worried about how it all translates over to the bigger bike when I do my DAS in a couple of weeks. Keep at it though, it all soon falls into place 8-)

• 7 months later...

So this is not my CBT experience but one of my mates who just recently did his. I'm not familiar with the school he went with as it's not one of the ones I've heard of when I did mine; he just went with this school as they had availability sooner (will probably explains why after reading this) but had good reviews.

My mate paid full price for his CBT and was told about 10mins into his CBT that he was not getting it and was told to come back at a later date for a "taster session", the thing that my mate was not able to do was regulate the throttle steadily on first gear and the instructor thought he was going to end off riding the bike into the fence; he was also told to not have left hand on clutch at all and just control the bike with the throttle. The instructor never gave him enough time to get familiar with the bike, he never even dropped the bike one.

I was shocked when he told me his CBT training was cancelled after that. What does everyone else think? That’s not right, right? I told him in my CBT, my instructor told me to get the biting point on the clutch and then no matter what revs I was doing on the throttle the bike was controlled, and if the bike did go too fast to gently tap the rear bike. 

I told him to go with another school but it's difficult as everyone is trying to get their CBT just now.

Edited by JackieOWheels

In our CBT at the stage you're talking about we were told to pull the clutch in if we got a bit overly enthusiastic (although once we got the hang of those very basics and started doing figure of 8s etc we were of course told not to pull it in mid lean) and yes use the clutch to smooth the snatchiness out. I'm sure he rode around hammering the throttle to prove his point

From memory I'm also pretty sure our instructor was keen to impress on us too that once we got into second gear things would be a lot less snatchy.

Not to refute what your friend says as I wasn't there, was it definitely 10 mins? I've known people who if the instructor is worried about their overall safety, and also not to hold up the other participants, will tell them to come back another day.

17 minutes ago, SometimesSansEngine said:

In our CBT at the stage you're talking about we were told to pull the clutch in if we got a bit overly enthusiastic (although once we got the hang of those very basics and started doing figure of 8s etc we were of course told not to pull it in mid lean) and yes use the clutch to smooth the snatchiness out. I'm sure he rode around hammering the throttle to prove his point

From memory I'm also pretty sure our instructor was keen to impress on us too that once we got into second gear things would be a lot less snatchy.

Not to refute what your friend says as I wasn't there, was it definitely 10 mins? I've known people who if the instructor is worried about their overall safety, and also not to hold up the other participants, will tell them to come back another day.

Yeah, he said he didn't feel like he was on the bike for more than 10mins as they just started the exercise with going round in a circle and then told shortly after to stop. There was only one other rider with him but that rider already knew how to ride so didn't need to practice much, my mate said the other rider was already moving on to the 2nd gear and was slow controlling the bike. I thought it was crap how he was told so quickly to come back next time when the instructor should have spent more time with my mate as the other rider was more experienced so less time was needed to "train" the other rider.

6 hours ago, Blackholesun said:

Some of these schools are so quick to dump you off a 125 onto a scooter they have zero patience

The daft part is that you can do your CBT on an auto scooter then trot off on a geared bike.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

First post here.  Did my CBT the other week with a school in Morecambe (bit of a trek from mine, but weekend availability so..)

Very good experience, those of us who had ridden before did most of it on 650cc bikes which made the day a bit more interesting. Good bunch of lads, would have liked to go back for the mod1/2, but will be doing those locally.

MOD1 on Wednesday...

• Like 3

On 18/09/2021 at 19:11, Fiddlesticks said:

Hi all,

First post here.  Did my CBT the other week with a school in Morecambe (bit of a trek from mine, but weekend availability so..)

Very good experience, those of us who had ridden before did most of it on 650cc bikes which made the day a bit more interesting. Good bunch of lads, would have liked to go back for the mod1/2, but will be doing those locally.

MOD1 on Wednesday...

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

I'm confused . You're saying that people turn up for a CBT with zero motorcycle riding experience and literally expect to be taught how to ride ? Surely it would be an idea to get at least a few hours practice in first . How are you going to develop the necessary balance and coordination ? 

3 hours ago, fastbob said:

I'm confused . You're saying that people turn up for a CBT with zero motorcycle riding experience and literally expect to be taught how to ride ? Surely it would be an idea to get at least a few hours practice in first . How are you going to develop the necessary balance and coordination ? 

Hey Bob!

without a CBT you can't ride anything on the roads so can't get any practise! The point of the CBT is to teach you from zero experience 😀 

2 hours ago, Hoggs said:

Hey Bob!

without a CBT you can't ride anything on the roads so can't get any practise! The point of the CBT is to teach you from zero experience 😀 

Well back in my day you still went to some industrial estate or deserted road on the the back of your mate's bike and then he hopped off while you had a ride around . I let an ex girlfriend ride my GS850 all  around a big carpark in Wales before she did her CBT . And she passed . Not exactly legal but no kittens were harmed . 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2021 at 18:50, fastbob said:

Some motorcycle schools will do lessons before the CBT or taster sessions. So you don't go in completely unready. My 14 year old daughter had a hour lesson on Sunday just because she wanted to see what it's like to ride a motorcycle. 

Edited by Spongefinger
  • Like 1

On 20/09/2021 at 18:50, fastbob said:

Have you been asleep all these years. This forum has had 100s of members (mostly come and gone) who have asked about the CBT and then gone on to do it with zero experience, They are commonly told to do a taster lesson first, but mostly they've not, due to availability. they have turned up for the CBT having never ridden a bike before, not even a bicycle. Some have never even driven a car.

Edited by Gerontious

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Have you been asleep all these years. This forum has had 100s of members (mostly come and gone) who have asked about the CBT and then gone on to do it with zero experience, They are commonly told to do a taster lesson first, but mostly they've not, due to availability. they have turned up for the CBT having never ridden a bike before, not even a bicycle. Some have never even driven a car.

No , I haven't been asleep and I am well aware of the numerous posts from people who struggle with CBT but have never ridden a bicycle . In fact it's me that usually asks them whether they have done exactly that . I think the way that I pitched my latest response i.e from a position of mock incredulity , might have confused you a little . 

• Like 1