Tips for winter riding 2020

Hi guys,

silly questions, do you use any product to make the helmet visor kind of waterproof, so the water doesn't stay on it during rainy days or you just wipe it off with your gloves?

Thank you :)

Most good quality gloves will have a rubber squeege strip on the thumb so you can wipe the visor :thumb:

I ride all winter but these days draw the line when there's black ice around.

Multiple layers of clothing keeps you warmer than fewer thick layers. I don't spend a fortune on kit, mid range works well enough. Take care to get things on right so there are no draughts or leaks.

You need to increase maintenance and checks in bad weather.

Reading the road conditions is key, anticipate where hazards like wet leaves, water run off or mud are likely to be.

Be aware that drivers in warm cars can lack awareness of the road conditions and often aren't concentrating so discretion is the better part of valour.

I'm only 3 years on 2 wheels but a very long time driving. My tips are.

1. Wear layers. Once you're moving on the bike it's a lot colder that it is walking around.

2. Make sure you're in waterproof kit. I have a textile suit and full boots to keep me warm. But I also wear an over jacket and trousers in bad rain. I use rst textiles and armr brand overs. No point spending a fortune on stuff. The over stuff keeps your main kit dry so after work you're not putting on water soaked protection.

3. BE REALLY CAREFUL FILTERING OR OVERTAKING. In the dark and the rain you are very hard to be seen. Oncoming traffic might not see you filtering and you could have a head on collision or get clipped.

4. Kind of related but leave extra time for your journey bad weather.

5. Make sure your bike is safe, tyres are ok etc. Keep it clean and get the salt off it to stop it causing damage.

Hi guys,

silly questions, do you use any product to make the helmet visor kind of waterproof, so the water doesn't stay on it during rainy days or you just wipe it off with your gloves?

I use a yogurt pot velcro'd on to the bars with a sponge & washing up liquid solution. A quick wipe at traffic lights 👍

Also there are water repellant products to treat your visor

Hi guys,

I gave up on sprays and potions and just wipe it...

Hi guys,

I use this. Water beads and is blown off in the slipstream by moving your head side to side.

0AC14126-4419-4290-8C02-B05F7325D5E5.png.7c99d3843b9b1d7c79e0cad02f6a7e68.png

One more tip for riding in winter: when the road is damp or wet (i.e. most of the time) keep everything very smooth; expect less grip from the tyres, especially on roundabouts (this is most people's place of choice for spilling their diesel).

Heated anything is king!

Last November I bought a Microwire jacket from Gerbing and it was the best thing I have bought for motorcycling. I removed all the bulky liners, forgot about "layering up" and just wore a normal t-shirt with that on top then my gore-tex textile jacket over that. I only ever found I needed 25% or 50% as 75% or 100% were just bonkers hot and made me sweat and got quite painful! This was on a naked bike as well so my chest was taking the full blast of the cold wind.

I prefer to be mobile on a bike rather than all bulky as I find it restricts and hinders movement which isn't great for looking around etc. My jacket was a full gerbing pro jacket and the elements ran front/ back/ arms and neck which meant warm blood was always reaching my fingertips. It's a little bit of a faff to remember to plug yourself in and to be honest I only do if my ride is over 30 mins as the jacket is pretty warm on its own.

If its a bit too expensive then the Sparda chill factor 2 gear is pretty damn amazing for the money and I found better than most thermal liners supplied with jackets and with a light thermal top/ long johns underneath.

Heated grips and bash guards/ muffs will keep the worst off but generally this only works for about an hour.

Sealskin socks are fantastic and still keep your feet warm and dry if your boots/ trousers fail in heavy rain.

If you have serious disposable then the Klim Hardanger is also really good as there are no joints so no areas for the wind to get in. Laminate Gore-tex so no weight when it gets wet and with a heated jacket on underneath it heats up the whole suit, armour included which you can upgrade. You can then wear normal clothing underneath and just zip in and zip out when you get to where you are going. I sold all my Rukka gear and bought one of these and its perfect for autum to Spring as it has loads of vents for those warmer days! You look a right k*ob in it but I'd rather be dry and warm than cold and wet and when we get to the coffee shop I'm in normal comfy clothes sat at the table rather than sweating in thermals and bulky textiles.

Ultimately if you get cold then find somewhere to stop and warm up, don't be a hero, I always plan in extra coffee stops for anything over an hour of riding. Take it easy on the roads, never rush and always use a car when possible! :lol:

• Like 1

Would an adventure style helmet be of use commuting on rainy days.

When I'm stopped at lights I'll often need to open my visor. Then rain gets in sometime and on my glasses.

Would the peak on an adventure lid help to stop this?

Would it work only when stopped or help on the move to up to town/city speeds

Thanks all for sharing all your experiences and tips!!!

:thumb:

When I'm stopped at lights I'll often need to open my visor. Then rain gets in sometime and on my glasses.

I have a post going related to glasses and visors

Yes it does help a little but it depends on what angle the rain is coming in at and how hard its hammering down.

The best thing about a peak in the shorter days is using it to block out the sun when it is low in the sky, combine that with a pinlock protec tint to remove glare and its perfect.

I use the protec tint inserts in all my helmets (yes double the price) but it is the best compromise and as I wear glasses it means I don't have to faff with sunglasses or worry about tunnels or staying out later than usual and having to rush home because I have a dark tint visor on.

Having not bothered, but then got a bike with the already installed...heated grips are wonderful. Wish I had had them on all my bikes.

Knox cold killers are very good for keeping the rest of me warm.

Yes it does help a little but it depends on what angle the rain is coming in at and how hard its hammering down.

The best thing about a peak in the shorter days is using it to block out the sun when it is low in the sky, combine that with a pinlock protec tint to remove glare and its perfect.

I use the protec tint inserts in all my helmets (yes double the price) but it is the best compromise and as I wear glasses it means I don't have to faff with sunglasses or worry about tunnels or staying out later than usual and having to rush home because I have a dark tint visor on.

Yeah it is probably hit and miss on the visor depending on the rain, wind, the type of bike and speed you're doing. I have an inbuilt visor on my current helmet that works a treat and a normal pinlock.

The peak on an adventure lid probably isn't worth the investment