On Friday 30th October I will be taking the forum offline at around 1.45pm as the forum is getting moved to a new server

Any questions then feel free to post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73786

Tips for winter riding 2020

Have a question about what clothing to buy, not sure what luggage or security would be best, looking for information on good deals available? Check out our Tried and Tested section of the forum....... still cant find an answer? Please post here!!
manxie49
Bike(s): Yamaha MT10 & Honda CRF250
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 462 times

Re: Tips for winter riding 2020

Post by manxie49 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:53 pm

xTReme’s solution is my favourite .... move to Spain :lol:
If you don't like Motorcycles, you won't like me .... And I'm OK with that!

Trooper74
Bike(s): Royal Enfield Himalayan
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by Trooper74 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:55 pm

I used to commute from Sheffield to Dereham in Norfolk 3 days a week .... 260 miles a day .... all year round ..on a variety of motorbikes, primarily a Kawasaki EN 500 and MZ 300's ...
I normally set off about 0430hrs...
In winter i would rock up at the Mess about 0700 - 0730hrs in the morning... often frozen to the bike seat ... I would stop outside the main door, a member of the Household staff would come out with a mug of coffee, helmet off, drink half of the coffee and pour the rest of the hot liquid over my crotch to free myself from the frozen seat ...
Stupid ... i know ...

But many of the mornings and evenings where a pleasure to ride ....

And they paid me £0.48p / mile

And I only had to work 3 days a week ..... :D

But it gave me an insight into riding in low tempratures ... and riding in poor weather .. which has stayed with me ...
The Road Goes On Forever.
If you ride a Motorbike and are frightened of Covid you don't really understand Risk Theory.

S-Westerly
Subscriber
Bike(s): Ducati Multistrada 950
Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 1122 times

Post by S-Westerly » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:39 pm

I ride for pleasure but very occasionally I have to be somewhere and the wife is using her car so I have to use the bike. That said I won't ride in snow or ice unless I get caught out which I haven't for years. The only bit of me which gets cold is the very tips of my fingers. After a couple of hours they can get quite painful. As to clothing quality layering works for me.
Back in the blue. No bikes.....

Trooper74
Bike(s): Royal Enfield Himalayan
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by Trooper74 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 pm

I didn't take my car licence until my very late 30's so the bike was my only means of transport .... I only did it because my employer paid for it ... :D

As for winter riding ... i picked up my Himma in late November from a dealer in Macclesfield ... I came over the Cat and Fiddle to Buxton in deep snow ... Just me ... the snow gates where closed ....
It's surreal when the only tyre tracks are behind you ...... yours .....
The Road Goes On Forever.
If you ride a Motorbike and are frightened of Covid you don't really understand Risk Theory.

bonio
Subscriber
Bike(s): MV Agusta TV 800, DR-Z400 SM, RV 125 VanVan
Challenge score: 390
Has liked: 1655 times
Been liked: 670 times

Post by bonio » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:55 pm

For the bike: ACF50 all over (except the brakes :shock:). Fender extender to protect the engine from the worst of the grit and salt. Rear hugger perhaps to protect the rear shock. Hand guards, or muffs (muffs are warmer, but I've always been too vain to use them. A screen large enough to keep the wind off your chest.
For you: I'd say buy the best (not necessarily the most expensive) you can afford that's designed to keep you warm and dry, Goretex if you can run to it. Rukka is excellent, but eye-wateringly expensive. Other good brands include Held, Klim, Knox. IXS (from J&S) is a great budget option, but still good quality. But tbh most brands you can find out there - for example at Sportsbikeshop - do good kit. You can often pick up good deals on secondhand stuff from ebay.
Two Soups

Tankbag
Subscriber
Bike(s): Hayabusa Gen1
Has liked: 1701 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by Tankbag » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 pm

When your fingers stop hurting after about an hour, that is the onset of frostbite !
What the others have said, kit is king. Heated stuff is the new silver bullet.
I ride all year with work, but the truth is, no one is handing out medals for your suffering & extra risk, there is no shame in wintering your bike & getting a cheap hack car. If that's not an option, the right kit is king & be super smooth, yes it makes you a better rider but feck its hard work.

In the Buff HERE = viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73218

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 2346 times
Been liked: 1336 times

Post by dynax » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:01 am

Only being a pleasure rider i will pick and choose which days to ride out over winter :lol: :thumb:
Last edited by dynax on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

learningtofly
Subscriber
Bike(s): 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 428 times

Post by learningtofly » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:10 am

There's winter riding, and there's winter riding. Once it gets cold enough for ice/black ice the bike stays where it is; otherwise there's plenty pof good gear to keep you warm, plus heated grips/gloves, etc.

One thing I'd recommend is giving your bike a good ACF-50 treatment, though. They do like rust, and if you don't protect them...

skyrider
Bike(s): yamaha 225 serow
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 800 times

Post by skyrider » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:29 pm

Tankbag wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 pm
When your fingers stop hurting after about an hour, that is the onset of frostbite !
What the others have said, kit is king. Heated stuff is the new silver bullet.
I ride all year with work, but the truth is, no one is handing out medals for your suffering & extra risk, there is no shame in wintering your bike & getting a cheap hack car. If that's not an option, the right kit is king & be super smooth, yes it makes you a better rider but feck its hard work.
and the fun is very short lived :|
the law in all it's majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges to beg in the street and to steal bread.
anatole france

GiorgioG
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by GiorgioG » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:57 pm

Hi guys,
silly questions, do you use any product to make the helmet visor kind of waterproof, so the water doesn't stay on it during rainy days or you just wipe it off with your gloves?

Thank you :)

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 2346 times
Been liked: 1336 times

Post by dynax » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:03 pm

GiorgioG wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:57 pm
Hi guys,
silly questions, do you use any product to make the helmet visor kind of waterproof, so the water doesn't stay on it during rainy days or you just wipe it off with your gloves?

Most good quality gloves will have a rubber squeege strip on the thumb so you can wipe the visor :thumb:
Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 2380 times

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:19 pm

I ride all winter but these days draw the line when there's black ice around.

Multiple layers of clothing keeps you warmer than fewer thick layers. I don't spend a fortune on kit, mid range works well enough. Take care to get things on right so there are no draughts or leaks.

You need to increase maintenance and checks in bad weather.

Reading the road conditions is key, anticipate where hazards like wet leaves, water run off or mud are likely to be.

Be aware that drivers in warm cars can lack awareness of the road conditions and often aren't concentrating so discretion is the better part of valour.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

daveinlim
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by daveinlim » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm only 3 years on 2 wheels but a very long time driving. My tips are.
1. Wear layers. Once you're moving on the bike it's a lot colder that it is walking around.
2. Make sure you're in waterproof kit. I have a textile suit and full boots to keep me warm. But I also wear an over jacket and trousers in bad rain. I use rst textiles and armr brand overs. No point spending a fortune on stuff. The over stuff keeps your main kit dry so after work you're not putting on water soaked protection.
3. BE REALLY CAREFUL FILTERING OR OVERTAKING. In the dark and the rain you are very hard to be seen. Oncoming traffic might not see you filtering and you could have a head on collision or get clipped.
4. Kind of related but leave extra time for your journey bad weather.
5. Make sure your bike is safe, tyres are ok etc. Keep it clean and get the salt off it to stop it causing damage.

Tankbag
Subscriber
Bike(s): Hayabusa Gen1
Has liked: 1701 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by Tankbag » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:36 pm

GiorgioG wrote:
Hi guys,

I use a yogurt pot velcro'd on to the bars with a sponge & washing up liquid solution. A quick wipe at traffic lights 👍
Also there are water repellant products to treat your visor

In the Buff HERE = viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73218

onesea
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by onesea » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:00 pm

GiorgioG wrote:
Hi guys,

I gave up on sprays and potions and just wipe it...
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

Return to “Clothing, Luggage, Accessories and Security”