Bike Sizing

matts

Hi I'm new here

sorry if this has been asked before but........

This is going to sound like a really odd question (and I apologise now LOL)

Anyway - I'm quite big.....6ft 4inches and not particularly light

what size bike do you think i should get? I'm looking around on all of these website and they all look so good.

I'm thinking a more upright bike would suit me. Am i limited to "Tourers" or something else

This would be my first bike so would appreciate any "affordable" bike suggestions please :-)

Hello and welcome, the simplest way is to go and sit on some at various dealers, and until you get to ride them you won't know for sure what is right for you, other things to consider are what type of riding will you be doing :thumb:

Hello and welcome, the simplest way is to go and sit on some at various dealers, and until you get to ride them you won't know for sure what is right for you, other things to consider are what type of riding will you be doing :thumb:

I want kind of an all rounder....but of commuting (40m round trips in nice weather only). Weekend riding.

Welcome. I'm 6"2 and fit most bikes fine - I don't know that 2 inches more would make that much difference (ohh err).

Naked bikes and tourers are quite upright so that's a good start - loads of options though. Did you do your test km an mt07 maybe? If so you'll have an idea of how much power it had and if that's what you want.

Define affordable. You also need to run insurance comparisons to see if you can afford the insurance.

Welcome. I'm 6"2 and fit most bikes fine - I don't know that 2 inches more would make that much difference (ohh err).

Naked bikes and tourers are quite upright so that's a good start - loads of options though. Did you do your test km an mt07 maybe? If so you'll have an idea of how much power it had and if that's what you want.

Define affordable. You also need to run insurance comparisons to see if you can afford the insurance.

Not done my test yet :(

Got a little cash behind me atm so was just looking at ideas and how much they would be

I’ll look at naked bikes too

Thanks

I'm also 6'2" currently ride an MT10 and a CRF250 on the green lanes. It all depends what you're looking for, you can get some pretty big tourers and also some very tall adventure bikes, as has already been said you need to go and sit on a few bikes, test ride them, see what you feel comfortable with. Whats right for one person won't necessarily be right for another. Shops will be OK with you sitting on the bikes and test riding them, I've just test ridden about six different bikes in the past two weeks, so get out there, have a look around and enjoy the shopping experience :thumb:

I do that thing where people recommend what they have.

I have a Zzr600 from 1990.

I think it is brilliant. I commute 20miles each way but have done 30 each way on it.

It can go bloomin quick, there are rumours of it not finding 140 difficult despite be thirty years old and of it always winning of the starting line if you want in traffic.

I might take it to a track one day. It manages all weathers and anything I need it too. I’m only 5’9 and a bit, I suspect it would be okay for the more vertically adept.

I saw it and loved the look. I sat on it and it fitted, I rode it and love doing that. I don’t have a lot of experience of many bikes, I found the Honda nc750s a bit dull really. I’m in my late thirties so the nineties bikes are what I fancy.

Nothing wrong with letting your heart speak when it comes to bikes, after all if you making the choice on sensible you would have a car for it :-)

I hadn't a clue what to get after I passed my test. In fact, I hadn't a clue about bikes. I didn't know one manufacturer from another and couldn't tell a sports bike from a supermoto. In the end a bloke at work wanted to sell his bike, so I bought it and rode it for a couple of years until I did know what I wanted.

I do that thing where people recommend what they have.

I have a Zzr600 from 1990.

I think it is brilliant. I commute 20miles each way but have done 30 each way on it.

It can go bloomin quick, there are rumours of it not finding 140 difficult despite be thirty years old and of it always winning of the starting line if you want in traffic.

I might take it to a track one day. It manages all weathers and anything I need it too. I’m only 5’9 and a bit, I suspect it would be okay for the more vertically adept.

I saw it and loved the look. I sat on it and it fitted, I rode it and love doing that. I don’t have a lot of experience of many bikes, I found the Honda nc750s a bit dull really. I’m in my late thirties so the nineties bikes are what I fancy.

Nothing wrong with letting your heart speak when it comes to bikes, after all if you making the choice on sensible you would have a car for it :-)

You still got a license then ?

Hi I'm new here

sorry if this has been asked before but........

This is going to sound like a really odd question (and I apologise now LOL)

Anyway - I'm quite big.....6ft 4inches and not particularly light

what size bike do you think i should get? I'm looking around on all of these website and they all look so good.

I'm thinking a more upright bike would suit me. Am i limited to "Tourers" or something else

This would be my first bike so would appreciate any "affordable" bike suggestions please :-)

Start with first principles.

what do you consider 'affordable"? what is your realistic budget... also bear in mind the cost of insurance.

secondly. what do you intend doing with the bike. what is its primary purpose going to be?

what do you consider 'affordable"? what is your realistic budget... also bear in mind the cost of insurance.

secondly. what do you intend doing with the bike. what is its primary purpose going to be?

Hi

I'd say 3-5k......as my first bike

I'd like a fun bike for the weekends but also I would be commuting in the summer months on it (around 40 mile round trip)

Hi

I'd say 3-5k......as my first bike

I'd like a fun bike for the weekends but also I would be commuting in the summer months on it (around 40 mile round trip)

V-Strom 650 will do all that and a whole lot more!

Plus it's physically big so would be a good fit for you.