Being a veggie/teetotaller annoyances

rob m

Just to start. I have no issues with people drinking alcohol and eating meat, at all.

There, that's done. No need to argue it.

Anyway, over the past 12 months I've had more than my fair share of physical health issues and as I would like to carry on living for a few more years rather than croaking early I've had to make some adjustments. I'm 51 so with that in mind I have made some adjustments to my lifestyle as well as taking lots of medication and attending hospital appointments along the way.

I've also made some positive steps already, lost nearly 4 stone in weight by maintaining a calorie deficit and walking 10k steps a day but I knew for me, my two hinderances were alcohol and my consumption of meat, both of which had an effect on my physical and mental health. Those who know me on this forum know I drank... a lot.

So, I decided to cut out both. My decision, nobody else's and it doesn't affect anybody else but me. I'm looking after me and want to enjoy many years of life, more bike trips and life in general. I'd like to see my only son grow up and get on with his life.

The annoyances.

As it is a totally personal decision to cut out meat and alcohol, it shouldn't be a problem. However, the amount of friends who have tried to convince me that my decision is wrong is staggering. It's almost like what I have decided to do offends them in such a profound way that they have to constantly find ways for me to return to my old habits, even saying that I'm boring and won't enjoy life anymore.

I can't see the issue myself. I've taken a decision to stop eating and drinking certain things. Putting things in my gob, that's it. It doesn't stop me doing my job, enjoying pastimes, riding my bike, getting on with life etc. In fact, it's actually helped improve my health. My BP and cholesterol levels have improved dramatically. My mental health is so much better. I can't see an issue myself but it seems that others struggle with it.

Has anybody else in the same position ever had this when changing lifestyles?

Interested to know.

I tried ditching meat altogether for 1 year, Normally my alcohol intake is very low, comparing to most Scots anyway. :P

I spent all this time on vegetables, fruits (including nuts) and fish.

This because of my arthritis and at the time gout.

Didn't notice any difference and having gone back to eat meat again I can't say it made much difference.

I have to mention that my diet is normally Mediterranean based, low amount of fried food and negligible amount of processed food.

Don't eat at McPlastics or the like.

Very low beer intake, less than 1 pint a week

Low intake of wine but mostly would be red when it happens.

Like you [mention]rob m[/mention] I have nothing against religious vegans and far from me to tell anyone what to eat or drink ;) :cheers:

Nope, I'm quite happily eating meat and drinking booze when I'm home. Can't when I'm away and to be honest I don't notice any difference. That said good on you for doing what you are. If it really does extend your life why not? Live and let live.

Didn't notice any difference and having gone back to eat meat again I can't say it made much difference.

That's interesting, I suffered from gout in the past and whenever I have I have switched to vegetarian it has always improved. For gout I always drink lots of water. Gout is very personal though, I can set off an attack just from eating beetroot!

When i used to meet up with my mates at the pub i often drove there so i would have an excuse not to drink, my friends were often bemused why i wouldn't drink and couldn't understand that i was quite happy with softdrinks, since i moved away though i have stopped smoking too, i eat my meat but i also eat veggie meals on a regular basis, and you can't go wrong with a pot noodle once or twice a week if your peckish, my biggest problem is eating snacks in bed while watching films or dvd's :lol: :thumb:

Nope, I'm quite happily eating meat and drinking booze when I'm home. Can't when I'm away and to be honest I don't notice any difference. That said good on you for doing what you are. If it really does extend your life why not? Live and let live.

Exactly, that's my philosophy. Once we're gone, we're gone. No second chances.

That's interesting, I suffered from gout in the past and whenever I have I have switched to vegetarian it has always improved. For gout I always drink lots of water. Gout is very personal though, I can set off an attack just from eating beetroot!

My gout virtually disappeared when I did acupuncture.

It comes back from time to time but not as labour pain as before.

To control it, yes 3lt of water daily is the key.

Adding to it.

I fill my 200mg capsules with celery seeds and have a couple once I feel the big toe tingling. Plus 1 a day for the following week to be on the safe side.

For arthritis I use devil's claw powder in the same size capsules on 1 per day normally or up to 3 on bad days.

As you say, water intake is one of the most important things for joint problems. :thumb:

When i used to meet up with my mates at the pub i often drove there so i would have an excuse not to drink, my friends were often bemused why i wouldn't drink and couldn't understand that i was quite happy with softdrinks, since i moved away though i have stopped smoking too, i eat my meat but i also eat veggie meals on a regular basis, and you can't go wrong with a pot noodle once or twice a week if your peckish, my biggest problem is eating snacks in bed while watching films or dvd's :lol: :thumb:

Good to hear mate. For you, balance is working.

How to tell if someone is a Vegan?............don't worry they'll let you know :mrgreen:

I really don't mind what anyone else does as long as I don't get preached at. I don't try to convince someone they have to eat chicken just because they have chosen not to and I expect the same in return. Same with religion, politics, cars, jobs, phone choice etc!! :)

I personally cannot stand vegetables. I got force fed them that much as a kid that they make me feel sick to try and eat now. I buy a powder called super greens which is basically powdered vegetables, it tastes absolutely minging but at least I get the veggie goodness somehow :lol:

Another major change i have made though is cut out a lot of caffeine, i only have one cup of coffee in the morning then the rest of the day i drink squash, sometimes might have a coffee in the afternoon or if i'm out but even then i often take some squash with me :thumb:

I don't drink! And no......it's not because I was an alcoholic!

It's because it's a migraine trigger and I can't risk it.

This didn't happen when I was a youngster because back then they actually served real beer.....that looked like beer should.

Now it's all this foreign stuff that's coloured to look golden to make it look more attractive to punters.......and I suspect that's what triggers it.

[mention]dynax[/mention] Same here. I only have one cup now in a morning and the rest of the day I'm on green tea.

Bonus being that now I'm not drinking 6/7 cups of coffee a day I can take my time and make a decent cafetiere of Lavazza rather than having instant Kenco :lol:

beer and a steak now and again wont hurt.... healthy balanced diet, no processed foods and be jolly :thumb:

I'd love a beer and steak Six, but when you're told that you have a serious cardiac condition you kinda take stock and adjust.

For me, I'd love both of them.

beer and a steak now and again wont hurt.... healthy balanced diet, no processed foods and be jolly :thumb:

I'd love a beer and steak Six, but when you're told that you have a serious cardiac condition you kinda take stock and adjust.

For me, I'd love both of them.

I still think that sirloin steak with a nice glass (or 2) of Portuguese red wine is the way to go ;)

A couple veg for colour, homemade mayonnaise to go with the french fries and that's as good as it gets :thumb:

A bonus for me is my Wife doesn't drink. No real reason she just isn't that bothered by it. So she does the driving when we go out for a meal etc :lol:

Also being a Midwife she is forever getting chocolates and bottles of Wine given to her by her Women as a thank you. I drink the red and pass on the white as gifts :mrgreen:

Good for you Rob, regardless of what your friends say or think doing what's best for you can never be the wrong move .... I personally believe in the old saying, everything in moderation, if you don't do the perceived "wrong" things to excess then there shouldn't be a problem. :thumb:

Just to start. I have no issues with people drinking alcohol and eating meat, at all.

There, that's done. No need to argue it.

Anyway, over the past 12 months I've had more than my fair share of physical health issues and as I would like to carry on living for a few more years rather than croaking early I've had to make some adjustments. I'm 51 so with that in mind I have made some adjustments to my lifestyle as well as taking lots of medication and attending hospital appointments along the way.

I've also made some positive steps already, lost nearly 4 stone in weight by maintaining a calorie deficit and walking 10k steps a day but I knew for me, my two hinderances were alcohol and my consumption of meat, both of which had an effect on my physical and mental health. Those who know me on this forum know I drank... a lot.

So, I decided to cut out both. My decision, nobody else's and it doesn't affect anybody else but me. I'm looking after me and want to enjoy many years of life, more bike trips and life in general. I'd like to see my only son grow up and get on with his life.

The annoyances.

As it is a totally personal decision to cut out meat and alcohol, it shouldn't be a problem. However, the amount of friends who have tried to convince me that my decision is wrong is staggering. It's almost like what I have decided to do offends them in such a profound way that they have to constantly find ways for me to return to my old habits, even saying that I'm boring and won't enjoy life anymore.

I can't see the issue myself. I've taken a decision to stop eating and drinking certain things. Putting things in my gob, that's it. It doesn't stop me doing my job, enjoying pastimes, riding my bike, getting on with life etc. In fact, it's actually helped improve my health. My BP and cholesterol levels have improved dramatically. My mental health is so much better. I can't see an issue myself but it seems that others struggle with it.

Has anybody else in the same position ever had this when changing lifestyles?

Interested to know.

They are projecting. It is sadly that simple. I have had it yes. I have also had friends put them self out hugely to support some changes I have made in the past. None of them batted an eyelid when I have undone my hard work, none of the judges me for trying. The ones who behaved the way you described are no longer friends. Not because I did not like them but because after a while having people who purport to like you undermine you gets tedious.

Myself and my good lady have cut down a lot on drinking and eat a lot less meat. We are fussy with quality of good and drinks and like good rum, which is expensive so we have a bottle a month now rather than a bottle a week. I feel a lot better for it, sleep better (other than work stress) and have lost a bit of weight.

If you are feeling better for it and it's doing you good, then ignore the naysayers and crack on 👍

[mention]rob m[/mention] hope the changes continue to improve your condition.

I have a mate who became a vegan out of necessity, his wife made him do it 😁 I used to love teasing him with bacon sandwiches simply because it wasn't something he wanted to do.

Daughter went veggie for a while, and she has a friend who is almost allergic to everything and is also is a celiac she's a joy to cater for lol.

I don't care what friends eat or don't it's an irrelevance.

[mention]rob m[/mention] hope the changes continue to improve your condition.

I have a mate who became a vegan out of necessity, his wife made him do it 😁 I used to love teasing him with bacon sandwiches simply because it wasn't something he wanted to do.

Daughter went veggie for a while, and she has a friend who is almost allergic to everything and is also is a celiac she's a joy to cater for lol.

I don't care what friends eat or don't it's an irrelevance.

Yes im vegan and teetotal. Work in a strongman gym where a plate of red meat and a box of doughnuts is considered clever and worthy of a fat fisted fist bump.

Im not preachy and after 4yrs its only just becoming known that im vegan.

I blocked my boss on facebook today and told one of the coaches to go f#ck himself if he could lift his gut flab up high enough to find his dick.

Its getting really tedious now and im starting to retaliate and also looking for another job.

Im more annoyed as i dont preach at anyone about their lifestyles, im not arsed what people do, eat or drink.

Im a bit hurt to be honest by their ganging up on me buuut more than capable of fighting my corner. Theres just no need.

Is it a threat??? I dunno.