Being a veggie/teetotaller annoyances

rob m

Sound like pricks to me [mention]gymwitch[/mention] :roll:

Workplace banter is one thing but there is a limit. We once had a vegetarian girl working at the fish shop. She didn't go on about it and I didn't wave a fillet in her face :lol:

I did take piss out of her height though as she was only 4'10 :twisted:

I stopped drinking on the 2nd January 2020 .... i had an alcohol induced fall in the bathroom that left me with serious head injuries from which I made a full recovery.

The wife and I have 4 young children in care and being unable to provide for Jules and the children made me revisit my use of alcohol.

I've had my drink ...

10 months later ... less mass, better sleep, less stress / anxiety, annoying cheerful what ever life throws at me ...

I love English Ale ..... but i've had lots and lots .. so no more :D

Honestly I can’t understand why someone would get hung up on another persons eating and drinking choices, if you’re vegan/veggie and that works for you then great, if you’re not that’s great too.

Personally I do eat meat although try and have chicken etc more than red meat when I do.

With drinking I can quite happily have a pint or a glass of wine if our socially and not have any more, I don’t really enjoy going out to pubs and getting drunk with friends anymore, haven’t in a good while, probably not the politically correct thing to say but gave up other mind altering substances at the same time as drinking and don’t regret that either, felt a lot better mentally and physically since then.

My grandson has a theory ... Chicken Causes Cancer .... It's the most widely eaten meat on the planet .... what if its the disease vector .... A level biology students ... dangerous mob ... :)

My grandson has a theory ... Chicken Causes Cancer .... It's the most widely eaten meat on the planet .... what if its the disease vector .... A level biology students ... dangerous mob ... :)

Yet there is scientific proof ( just ask Dr Hilary ) that chicken soup helps fight off colds and flu :lol:

Yet there is scientific proof ( just ask Dr Hilary ) that chicken soup helps fight off colds and flu :lol:

That is true. A study of jewish people who eat a lot of chicken soup/broth rarely get cancer of the digestive system, bowels etc... 🤷‍♀️

There is taking the piss which mates do but thats it just taking the piss and it has to be done as its the British way but

Telling you you're boring and stuff like that! are they really your mates?

I have mates that are vegan and t total and yes while we have a laugh and a joke about it we don't say they are boring its their choice at the end of the day and when/if we eat out we always look for a menu that accommodates them

I often get questioned as I don't drink often these days but I don't really care what they think!

That is true. A study of jewish people who eat a lot of chicken soup/broth rarely get cancer of the digestive system, bowels etc... 🤷‍♀️

don't have chicken soup as such but i do make some really tasty stews mainly chicken but do other meats occassionally, in fact i was thinking of one for this Sunday's dinner :thumb:

Just to start. I have no issues with people drinking alcohol and eating meat, at all.

There, that's done. No need to argue it.

Anyway, over the past 12 months I've had more than my fair share of physical health issues and as I would like to carry on living for a few more years rather than croaking early I've had to make some adjustments. I'm 51 so with that in mind I have made some adjustments to my lifestyle as well as taking lots of medication and attending hospital appointments along the way.

I've also made some positive steps already, lost nearly 4 stone in weight by maintaining a calorie deficit and walking 10k steps a day but I knew for me, my two hinderances were alcohol and my consumption of meat, both of which had an effect on my physical and mental health. Those who know me on this forum know I drank... a lot.

So, I decided to cut out both. My decision, nobody else's and it doesn't affect anybody else but me. I'm looking after me and want to enjoy many years of life, more bike trips and life in general. I'd like to see my only son grow up and get on with his life.

The annoyances.

As it is a totally personal decision to cut out meat and alcohol, it shouldn't be a problem. However, the amount of friends who have tried to convince me that my decision is wrong is staggering. It's almost like what I have decided to do offends them in such a profound way that they have to constantly find ways for me to return to my old habits, even saying that I'm boring and won't enjoy life anymore.

I can't see the issue myself. I've taken a decision to stop eating and drinking certain things. Putting things in my gob, that's it. It doesn't stop me doing my job, enjoying pastimes, riding my bike, getting on with life etc. In fact, it's actually helped improve my health. My BP and cholesterol levels have improved dramatically. My mental health is so much better. I can't see an issue myself but it seems that others struggle with it.

Has anybody else in the same position ever had this when changing lifestyles?

Interested to know.

Sometimes people don't want you to change because they're happy with the way things are. They see you changing as a challenge to the status quo so they fight against it to protect what they've got. Or they might be worried that if you change you will leave them so they try to pull you back into your old ways. Or they see you improving yourself when they can't so they take it as an insult, you think you're better than me type thing. There's a million reasons why people might not want you to better yourself. Don't let it get to you. If you're improving your health keep doing what you're doing. If they can't be happy for you chuck em.

I quit alcohol ten years and 29 days ago and cigarettes shortly after that . A year or two later I joined Slimming World and lost 9 stone by changing my diet . Unfortunately my mental health has taken a downward turn recently that has been exacerbated by the Covid pandemic . I've put all the weight back on now and I cannot summon the will to do anything about it . Some will be aware that I have Asperger's Syndrome which has not been an issue until recently but now every day seems to bring more confusion and more unpleasant surprises especially in the workplace . I think it would be a good idea to have a mental health section on this forum or maybe just an ongoing thread if anyone wants to sound off about how they are really feeling in these unprecedented times . Think I'll start a thread later on this evening .

@Tiggie 🤣🤣 im a bit vertically challenged myself but the guy who is still looking for his dick has just said hes beginning to regret poking the bear.

I reckon “poking the bear” is classed as inappropriate behaviour in the workplace 😁

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time @fastbob. This covid thing is just as damaging to mental health as it is to physical health. Sounds like you've fought back from adversity in the past so you know you can do it again. Good idea with the metal health thread. Getting things off your chest can be a great help.

I think it would be a good idea to have a mental health section on this forum

Likely to be the busiest section on the board!

You can lob @dynax in there for starters!

You are confusing eccentricity with mental health .

I think it would be a good idea to have a mental health section on this forum

Likely to be the busiest section on the board!

You can lob @dynax in there for starters!

giphyml.gif.b14e0c190a66a4ea0cee3707c9129e9b.gif

My favourite breakfast is Heinz Chicken soup, drunk out of a mug, next to the tent, above the snowline, cooked on a Primus or Trangia ..... as the dawn breaks across the snowfield ....... Ahhh happy days ..... :)

I quit alcohol ten years and 29 days ago and cigarettes shortly after that . A year or two later I joined Slimming World and lost 9 stone by changing my diet . Unfortunately my mental health has taken a downward turn recently that has been exacerbated by the Covid pandemic . I've put all the weight back on now and I cannot summon the will to do anything about it . Some will be aware that I have Asperger's Syndrome which has not been an issue until recently but now every day seems to bring more confusion and more unpleasant surprises especially in the workplace . I think it would be a good idea to have a mental health section on this forum or maybe just an ongoing thread if anyone wants to sound off about how they are really feeling in these unprecedented times . Think I'll start a thread later on this evening .

Excellent idea !!!

I am not the one who should be posting on here... Drinking a beer having just had my some what late birthday roast..

My partner was vegetarian before I met her, my recent work college (we work in pairs) was vegetarian, he wasn't at the end.

Both decided by there own choice, my partner tried a steak with me medium well done, I came home after a trip away with work and wanted her steak rare... My work college announced when passing a shop he was stopping for sausage rolls as they where good and cheap, I had refrained form asking SO many times as he was vegetarian (also stopped me eating rubbish)..

I don't care accept when people come round to eat, particularly when announced at the last minute and stern vegetarians/ vegans that start grumbling when you eat meat...

The worst are those like my partners step mum she chooses when she is not eating meat, you go to special effort to make sure its mainly vegetarian and no cross contamination in preparation/ cooking (roast potatoes in oil not fat etc). Then she starts chomping into the small ham that was bought with young fussy eaters in mind :scratch:

In todays world with lack of exercise and so much cheap nice but basically crap food around meat eater or not you have to watch your diet or become unhealthy.

Alcohol is another story we both drink and what can be to much and I agree [mention]XTreme[/mention] I don't know what's changed (I have the same thoughts as you) but alcohol has a different effect.

We have introduced a no alcohol on school nights thing which does work when we abide by it. Then I wonder how many pubs would survive if they became coffee shops more than pubs.

[mention]rob m[/mention] If you want/ plan to continue doing 10,000 steps a day get a medium to high energy dog.

Enough 1/2 drunk over fed mumblings :thumb:

It will get enough exercise and you cannot brake the routine or you get barked at when you stop to relax, cushions chewed up, your neatly stacked logs all over the garden and the wrapper for your re-chromed forks shredded and that was just today, after 7000 steps this morning.

So when you come home or finish the job your doing you do go for a walk.

My favourite breakfast is Heinz Chicken soup, drunk out of a mug, next to the tent, above the snowline, cooked on a Primus or Trangia ..... as the dawn breaks across the snowfield ....... Ahhh happy days ..... :)

I wasn't aware of permanent snow in yourkshire 😁

I must admit I feel right at home anywhere near or on any mountain.

I wasn't aware of permanent snow in yourkshire 😁

In the sea, surfing, or high on a mountain ridge ... my heart soars .....

Same here. I took a beat on the northern plains once, and found myself staring out at the Great Divide. As I was standing there, trying to decide which way to go - east or west - I saw a young hawk flying. My soul began to rise...

Same here. I took a beat on the northern plains once, and found myself staring out at the Great Divide. As I was standing there, trying to decide which way to go - east or west - I saw a young hawk flying. My soul began to rise...

Great song, one of my favourites.