AGHHH! JUST TELL ME THE F*CKING PRICE!

MarkW

Seriously, I'm getting really sick and tired of companies who make you jump through endless sodding hoops just to get a price for their bloody equipment. I've just requested a quote for a laser particle size analyzer for the lab, and when they did eventually get back to me it was to email me a list of damn stupid 'customer familiarization' questions. This is what I've just sent back to them:

What types of material do you wish to analyze?

Particles.

What parameters of the material are of interest?

Their size.

How do you currently measure these parameters?

By giving them to another lab that has a laser particle size analyzer.

What drives your interest in this instrument?

We need to analyze the size of particles. With a laser.

:roll:

I bet they are scratching the collective noggin trying to work out what it is you want.

I honestly don't know why these companies make it so hard to get their prices - it's not as if the inconvenience is going to deter any competitors from getting hold of them if they were to put their mind to it. All it does is piss me off and waste my time, and doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the transparency and honesty of their pricing policy: I just imagine them sitting there trying to decide whereabouts on the rip-off scale they're going to pitch their offer.

If any of my competitors were to phone me up and ask for a price I'd just give it to them. As they say: always tell anybody freely and openly anything they could easily find out by some other means. :wink:

Scientific equipment suppliers & manufacturers are pure piss takers...

[story]

I used to work for a large pharma company and we had a few bits of kit from a supplier (>£1m each). These instruments used bespoke consumables which were around £300 a pop - we used 30 a day. 30 a day.

Because we were a big company, published papers showcasing their equipment and spent an outrageous amount of money with them, they gave us a "special" price on the consumables, apparently 25% discount.

Now, when the site closed a few of us looked at buying the equipment from our employer and setting up a spin off. Over an "executive lunch" with their head honcho, the subject if consumable pricing came up as it would be out main expenditure. I asked if we could get the same price - he said he could do better no problem. He let slip that before they gave the 25% discount, they inflated the price by the same amount - simply because that's what they knew they could get away with.

[/story]

That my friend is why they are fuzzy about pricing.

He let slip that before they gave the 25% discount, they inflated the price by the same amount - simply because that's what they knew they could get away with.

Years ago I worked for a company that got taken over by its big local rival, I was the only one that got taken on. When the big companies purchasers came back proud of the new negotiated prices they had gone up - it had taken a long time to foster good relations.

:offtopic:

Funny when I got made redundant 6 months later, 0900 Monday morning here's your redundancy and 1 months wages - good by.

The week before I had mentioned to a couple of suppliers I might pop in on Monday. Having not seen me for 6 months, they asked how I new I would be in (they had not seen me for 6 months), my answer the cleaner told me a week earlier :mrgreen:

I got offered 3 jobs that day and the odd phone call from there customers for weeks after. Even though I explained I had already been accepted for a new job in totally different industry (I stuck in that one for 20 years). Now on career no 3 or 4 far from rich but would not change a thing...

I am noted for always being the most cynical person in the room, so I would deduce this company are a bunch of chancers, and they are trying to suss out prospective customers to see how rich and/or stupid they are.

So make them think you have an IQ over 300 but bugger all in the bank...... they'll sell you 3 for a tenner

😂

IT kit is the same, no one wants to tell you the price its all 'request a quote'. Mainly because 90% of these people hold ZERO stock of these items and they want to see what they can get if for first or they drop ship.

Made all the more frustrating by the fact it will also have a little bit of green text below the picture of the item saying available next day - usually this means 'we'll get it to you sometime this week - if you're lucky!'