Not bike related? Talk about it here!
Stu
Site Admin
Bike(s): FJR1300 & BMW F650ST
Has liked: 4040 times
Been liked: 3519 times

Re: Being a veggie/teetotaller annoyances

Post by Stu » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:29 pm

There is taking the piss which mates do but thats it just taking the piss and it has to be done as its the British way but

Telling you you're boring and stuff like that! are they really your mates?

I have mates that are vegan and t total and yes while we have a laugh and a joke about it we don't say they are boring its their choice at the end of the day and when/if we eat out we always look for a menu that accommodates them

I often get questioned as I don't drink often these days but I don't really care what they think!
Fines are taxes for doing bad, taxes are fines for doing good.

gymwitch
Bike(s): Honda cbr 125 & Honda CBR400 RR NC23
Has liked: 738 times
Been liked: 425 times

Post by gymwitch » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:31 pm

@Tiggie 🤣🤣 im a bit vertically challenged myself but the guy who is still looking for his dick has just said hes beginning to regret poking the bear.
I'm fat but identify as skinny...i'm trans-slender :D

dynax
Subscriber
Bike(s): Xena, Bridget, Florence (WIP)
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 1313 times

Post by dynax » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:32 pm

gymwitch wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:28 pm
dynax wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:26 pm
Trooper74 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:18 pm
My grandson has a theory ... Chicken Causes Cancer .... It's the most widely eaten meat on the planet .... what if its the disease vector .... A level biology students ... dangerous mob ... :)
Yet there is scientific proof ( just ask Dr Hilary ) that chicken soup helps fight off colds and flu :lol:
That is true. A study of jewish people who eat a lot of chicken soup/broth rarely get cancer of the digestive system, bowels etc... 🤷‍♀️

don't have chicken soup as such but i do make some really tasty stews mainly chicken but do other meats occassionally, in fact i was thinking of one for this Sunday's dinner :thumb:
Mike, just cruising around with Xena 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmihUc ... subscriber

WD-40
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by WD-40 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:34 pm

rob m wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:19 pm
Just to start. I have no issues with people drinking alcohol and eating meat, at all.

There, that's done. No need to argue it.

Anyway, over the past 12 months I've had more than my fair share of physical health issues and as I would like to carry on living for a few more years rather than croaking early I've had to make some adjustments. I'm 51 so with that in mind I have made some adjustments to my lifestyle as well as taking lots of medication and attending hospital appointments along the way.

I've also made some positive steps already, lost nearly 4 stone in weight by maintaining a calorie deficit and walking 10k steps a day but I knew for me, my two hinderances were alcohol and my consumption of meat, both of which had an effect on my physical and mental health. Those who know me on this forum know I drank... a lot.

So, I decided to cut out both. My decision, nobody else's and it doesn't affect anybody else but me. I'm looking after me and want to enjoy many years of life, more bike trips and life in general. I'd like to see my only son grow up and get on with his life.

The annoyances.

As it is a totally personal decision to cut out meat and alcohol, it shouldn't be a problem. However, the amount of friends who have tried to convince me that my decision is wrong is staggering. It's almost like what I have decided to do offends them in such a profound way that they have to constantly find ways for me to return to my old habits, even saying that I'm boring and won't enjoy life anymore.

I can't see the issue myself. I've taken a decision to stop eating and drinking certain things. Putting things in my gob, that's it. It doesn't stop me doing my job, enjoying pastimes, riding my bike, getting on with life etc. In fact, it's actually helped improve my health. My BP and cholesterol levels have improved dramatically. My mental health is so much better. I can't see an issue myself but it seems that others struggle with it.

Has anybody else in the same position ever had this when changing lifestyles?

Interested to know.
Sometimes people don't want you to change because they're happy with the way things are. They see you changing as a challenge to the status quo so they fight against it to protect what they've got. Or they might be worried that if you change you will leave them so they try to pull you back into your old ways. Or they see you improving yourself when they can't so they take it as an insult, you think you're better than me type thing. There's a million reasons why people might not want you to better yourself. Don't let it get to you. If you're improving your health keep doing what you're doing. If they can't be happy for you chuck em.

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and another ER5
Has liked: 3092 times
Been liked: 3823 times

Post by fastbob » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 pm

I quit alcohol ten years and 29 days ago and cigarettes shortly after that . A year or two later I joined Slimming World and lost 9 stone by changing my diet . Unfortunately my mental health has taken a downward turn recently that has been exacerbated by the Covid pandemic . I've put all the weight back on now and I cannot summon the will to do anything about it . Some will be aware that I have Asperger's Syndrome which has not been an issue until recently but now every day seems to bring more confusion and more unpleasant surprises especially in the workplace . I think it would be a good idea to have a mental health section on this forum or maybe just an ongoing thread if anyone wants to sound off about how they are really feeling in these unprecedented times . Think I'll start a thread later on this evening .

Mickly
Subscriber
Bike(s): 15my Speed Triple / 1994 1200 triumph Trophy
Challenge score: 410
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 699 times

Post by Mickly » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:00 pm

gymwitch wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:31 pm
@Tiggie 🤣🤣 im a bit vertically challenged myself but the guy who is still looking for his dick has just said hes beginning to regret poking the bear.
I reckon “poking the bear” is classed as inappropriate behaviour in the workplace 😁
2020 challenge points
3/10 Hoggs Bonus
5/12 South West
1/12 South East
9/12 Midlands
2/15 Bike Dealers
1/12 East Midlands
10/10 Churches
4/10 Pubs

WD-40
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by WD-40 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time @fastbob. This covid thing is just as damaging to mental health as it is to physical health. Sounds like you've fought back from adversity in the past so you know you can do it again. Good idea with the metal health thread. Getting things off your chest can be a great help.

XTreme
Useless campaign manager
Bike(s): BMW G650GS
Has liked: 2251 times
Been liked: 2946 times

Post by XTreme » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 pm

fastbob wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 pm
I think it would be a good idea to have a mental health section on this forum
Likely to be the busiest section on the board!

You can lob @dynax in there for starters!

fastbob
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster and another ER5
Has liked: 3092 times
Been liked: 3823 times

Post by fastbob » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:17 pm

XTreme wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 pm
fastbob wrote:

You are confusing eccentricity with mental health .

Six30
TOTY 2019
Bike(s): Suzuki GSX S 1000
Has liked: 2486 times
Been liked: 4079 times

Post by Six30 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:23 pm

XTreme wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:14 pm
fastbob wrote:

giphyml.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"People know me. I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."
The rule of Six.

Trooper74
Bike(s): Royal Enfield Himalayan
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Trooper74 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:26 pm

My favourite breakfast is Heinz Chicken soup, drunk out of a mug, next to the tent, above the snowline, cooked on a Primus or Trangia ..... as the dawn breaks across the snowfield ....... Ahhh happy days ..... :)
The Road Goes On Forever.
If you ride a Motorbike and are frightened of Covid you don't really understand Risk Theory.

gymwitch
Bike(s): Honda cbr 125 & Honda CBR400 RR NC23
Has liked: 738 times
Been liked: 425 times

Post by gymwitch » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:36 pm

fastbob wrote:
I quit alcohol ten years and 29 days ago and cigarettes shortly after that . A year or two later I joined Slimming World and lost 9 stone by changing my diet . Unfortunately my mental health has taken a downward turn recently that has been exacerbated by the Covid pandemic . I've put all the weight back on now and I cannot summon the will to do anything about it . Some will be aware that I have Asperger's Syndrome which has not been an issue until recently but now every day seems to bring more confusion and more unpleasant surprises especially in the workplace . I think it would be a good idea to have a mental health section on this forum or maybe just an ongoing thread if anyone wants to sound off about how they are really feeling in these unprecedented times . Think I'll start a thread later on this evening .
Excellent idea !!!
I'm fat but identify as skinny...i'm trans-slender :D

onesea
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Has liked: 371 times
Been liked: 508 times

Post by onesea » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 pm

I am not the one who should be posting on here... Drinking a beer having just had my some what late birthday roast..

My partner was vegetarian before I met her, my recent work college (we work in pairs) was vegetarian, he wasn't at the end.

Both decided by there own choice, my partner tried a steak with me medium well done, I came home after a trip away with work and wanted her steak rare... My work college announced when passing a shop he was stopping for sausage rolls as they where good and cheap, I had refrained form asking SO many times as he was vegetarian (also stopped me eating rubbish)..

I don't care accept when people come round to eat, particularly when announced at the last minute and stern vegetarians/ vegans that start grumbling when you eat meat...

The worst are those like my partners step mum she chooses when she is not eating meat, you go to special effort to make sure its mainly vegetarian and no cross contamination in preparation/ cooking (roast potatoes in oil not fat etc). Then she starts chomping into the small ham that was bought with young fussy eaters in mind :scratch:

In todays world with lack of exercise and so much cheap nice but basically crap food around meat eater or not you have to watch your diet or become unhealthy.

Alcohol is another story we both drink and what can be to much and I agree @XTreme I don't know what's changed (I have the same thoughts as you) but alcohol has a different effect.

We have introduced a no alcohol on school nights thing which does work when we abide by it. Then I wonder how many pubs would survive if they became coffee shops more than pubs.

@rob m If you want/ plan to continue doing 10,000 steps a day get a medium to high energy dog.

Enough 1/2 drunk over fed mumblings :thumb:

It will get enough exercise and you cannot brake the routine or you get barked at when you stop to relax, cushions chewed up, your neatly stacked logs all over the garden and the wrapper for your re-chromed forks shredded and that was just today, after 7000 steps this morning.

So when you come home or finish the job your doing you do go for a walk.
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

Bender
Has liked: 2147 times
Been liked: 2495 times

Post by Bender » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Trooper74 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:26 pm
My favourite breakfast is Heinz Chicken soup, drunk out of a mug, next to the tent, above the snowline, cooked on a Primus or Trangia ..... as the dawn breaks across the snowfield ....... Ahhh happy days ..... :)
I wasn't aware of permanent snow in yourkshire 😁

I must admit I feel right at home anywhere near or on any mountain.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

Trooper74
Bike(s): Royal Enfield Himalayan
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Trooper74 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Bender wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:24 pm
Trooper74 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:26 pm
I wasn't aware of permanent snow in yourkshire 😁

I must admit I feel right at home anywhere near or on any mountain.
In the sea, surfing, or high on a mountain ridge ... my heart soars .....
The Road Goes On Forever.
If you ride a Motorbike and are frightened of Covid you don't really understand Risk Theory.

Return to “General Chat”