Module 2 - members test experiences

Hi All,

New post and new member. I failed my Mod 2 recently (The shame) but getting off of your chest helps!

I did mine at Burgess Hill, examiner was the manager there, nice guy got off to a good chatty start, did show me tell me questions. I had, Horn, tyres and what would you tell a pillion who was new to riding to do when riding with you. All straight forward.

Left the test centre, had a pull over when ready within 1 min of leaving! Then roundabouts, NSL's and then onto the Dual Carriageway. It's here where i failed. It's a short slip road, up a hill. I accelerated up the hill, checked the inside lane spotted a car, shoulder checked, mirror checked, shoulder checked again and felt i could get on the gas and get on. 30 years of car driving obviously let me down as this was deemed a serious fault as i made the car move out, who in turn made another car move out... I genuinely think i would do it again (but not on a test!!)

After that was independent ride, few more roundabouts, then off around a residential area with school. (8.15 test) so the place was literally littered with cars, kids, cars parked on mini roundabouts, people in the road, cars coming the other way. Seemed to handle it OK, and made progress.

Then RH major to minor, and stop behind car. Angled start, bit wobbly but fine.

Then busiest roundabout in town, notorious as has lights on 2 exits so it gets congested, remembered to wait until exist was clear before going on, then back to the test centre. RH major to minor - Cheeky cyclist coming down the road so waited for him and in.

Examiner came over and told me he was absolutely gutted that he's going to have to fail me because of the Dual Carriageway entry, and apart from that it was a perfect ride. He wasn't half as gutted as me...

One thing, i've never felt quite so deflated and p**sed off as this, took a good 24-48 hours to get my head together.. but we'll go again.

Awaiting next available test as the only ones i can get are mid November and at a completely different test centre to where i've done all my training. (Thank you CoVid 19)

48 y.o. trying to do something i wanted to do when i was 20! Eye's on a Street Triple....

Over the moon to have passed mod2 today, on second attempt.

First attempt was at Exeter test center. I was due to pass but at the last minute failed.

Approaching a roundabout which I wasn't familiar with. Instruction was 'cross roundabout 2nd exit towards Marsh Barton'.

I was in left lane, quite happy until I saw a left only pointing arrow in my lane. I thought oh oh, best get into the right hand lane, which had a straight ahead arrow and right arrow. Manouver was done safely. I went straight ahead, second exit as asked.

I failed for failing to follow signposts, which I was a bit miffed at as it wasn't the independent ride bit. This test started off pretty stressful as instructor has offered to carry my papers, but left my driving license behind at his office. To be fair, the examiner did the show me tell me while instructor popped back to get license. He could have failed me there and then. I started off very stressed as you can imagine.

I'm a bit of a rural dweller and decided Exeter was just too built up with too many unfamiliar roads for me to learn.

So I switched to Launceston test center, which is much quieter and only runs tests one day every two weeks. I booked some more lessons with a new instructor who got me familiar with the roads. There's still dual carriageway, 20 mph zones, nsl roads etc, but less of them to familiarise with.

The gremlins were out to get me again today. Asked to show how to check rear light, I went to switch on ignition but the key wouldn't turn! After about a minute of jiggling, the lock turned, but my nerves were a bit frayed. We set off, and in five minutes we come to a roundabout. Instruction was 'straight ahead, first exit'. But bugger me, we get to the roundabout and straight ahead is second exit, not first. I decided to take first exit left, and instructor directed me back to intended path at another roundabout. He didn't say anything, but he clearly misspoke that instruction. Nerves just a little bit more frayed now! Rest of ride was ok, no more surprises. The one thing I do feel a bit apprehensive about is joining dual carriageways, you never really know what you'll meet, and you have to be looking behind and ahead and it's noisy and windy and you feel vulnerable as the slip road ends etc. But today it was fairly clear and got a decent speed up the short slip lane which seemed to help.

I did kind of expect Mod2 to be easier than Mod1, but I didn't find this. I suppose if you know the area really well then it would be a walk in the park. I have inadvertently let my sense of direction become eroded by driving car with sat nav for years, and it was quite a job to relearn about paying attention to signs, and working out the bigger picture of what road joins what.

Very relieved it's all over tbh! I'm 54, and feel a bit old for all this testing malarky.

[mention]JustinW[/mention] I learned in Exeter. It was awful. I remember the roundabout to Marsh Barton. And the impossibly complicated "left only" "ahead only" lanes at the junction. And the grim road that takes you right through a no entry sign, where the examiner expects you to be awake and take the last left hand turn before the sign. I didn't know the place well, and it was all too much for my poor old brain to process.

When I passed, it was in Cambridge. Hill starts were a doddle (not like Launceston!) Congratulations on your pass :cheers:

54? Definitely not too old. With a bit of time and some miles under your belt, it will all come naturally.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, sorry to hear how it turned out. Looking forwards to your pics of your street triple once you get it.

Re test today - Managed to find another school that could get me a test sooner. Back out in Burgess Hill this morning and got it!

It's almost as if they knew me as we spent 10 mins on the dual carriageway(Different slip entry this time!)

Thought i'd cocked it up right at the end, as Van coming towards me overtaking parked cars in an industrial estate. My last lesson was all about there's loads of room go for it, so i went for it, the examiner sat back and waited. Pulled me om it as the only minor.

Either way - taxed and insured the street triple and been out already - great feeling!!

Welcome, sorry to hear how it turned out. Looking forwards to your pics of your street triple once you get it.

Re test today - Managed to find another school that could get me a test sooner. Back out in Burgess Hill this morning and got it!

It's almost as if they knew me as we spent 10 mins on the dual carriageway(Different slip entry this time!)

Thought i'd cocked it up right at the end, as Van coming towards me overtaking parked cars in an industrial estate. My last lesson was all about there's loads of room go for it, so i went for it, the examiner sat back and waited. Pulled me om it as the only minor.

Either way - taxed and insured the street triple and been out already - great feeling!!

Well done :thumb:

Well done!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

So, finally passed my MOD2 this morning! So pleased and relieved after the delays due to lockdown. Weather was pretty grim, quite cold and very damp. Did my test our of Darwen up near Blackburn and the test route was a nice mix of town riding and country roads. Was a great relief riding back to the riding school with no ear piece in. I can really recommend RJH in Manchester for training. Great staff, very helpful, and they made it fun and relaxing.

Roll on spring time!!

• Like 8

Guest Swagman
12 minutes ago, mthinesy said:

So, finally passed my MOD2 this morning! So pleased and relieved after the delays due to lockdown. Weather was pretty grim, quite cold and very damp. Did my test our of Darwen up near Blackburn and the test route was a nice mix of town riding and country roads. Was a great relief riding back to the riding school with no ear piece in. I can really recommend RJH in Manchester for training. Great staff, very helpful, and they made it fun and relaxing.

Roll on spring time!!

Brill well done.👍👍

20 hours ago, mthinesy said:

Roll on spring time!!

Well done! Amazing feeling :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Its an amazing feeling. The examiner took his time to tell me, taking the mic off me saying "you'll not need this anymore" I didn't realise what he meant lol until my instructor said "you didn't hear him did you". It was a school run test time in the morning, in the rain..

On 22/12/2020 at 12:01, James in Brum said:

I had to keep my headphone in etc and l plates on on the way back to the centre after my pass.

I'm sure your not supposed to drive or ride with l plates if your not a Learner.

My instructor took them off and let me go off first 😁 

• 1 month later...

After failing Mod 1 i was somewhat nervous. Hubs went first and looking at his face as he came back i thought he had failed and if he had i think i would've gone to pieces but no worries there as he passed.

It was done in Southport last friday afternoon and people, cars, lorries and push bikes were throwing themselves infront of me. Its a damned good thing i can do a good emergency stop !!! Happened on my car test too 🤣 I had turned into a road and was scanning for speed repeaters, couldnt see any so kept at 30....just as i spotted a 40 repeater in the distance the examiner spoke and said its a 40 and also at that very same time a white van nearly side swiped me overtaking us. So thanks for that and may a 1000 fleas infest your armpits forever more. So that was a minor. 

Didnt indicate off a roundabout 2nd minor.

No second left life saver as i turned back into test centre road. 3rd minor. Passed mod 2 so I've no complaints. Examiner Rob was spot on. All my training was done by Wayne at Riverview Rder Training in Tarleton. Awesome experience but incredibly stressful and glad i never have to do it again !!!

Edited by gymwitch
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, gymwitch said:

After failing Mod 1 i was somewhat nervous. Hubs went first and looking at his face as he came back i thought he had failed and if he had i think i would've gone to pieces but no worries there as he passed.

It was done in Southport last friday afternoon and people, cars, lorries and push bikes were throwing themselves infront of me. Its a damned good thing i can do a good emergency stop !!! Happened on my car test too 🤣 I had turned into a road and was scanning for speed repeaters, couldnt see any so kept at 30....just as i spotted a 40 repeater in the distance the examiner spoke and said its a 40 and also at that very same time a white van nearly side swiped me overtaking us. So thanks for that and may a 1000 fleas infest your armpits forever more. So that was a minor. 

No second left life saver as i turned back into test centre road. 3rd minor. 

Ive no complaints. Examiner Rob was spot on. All my training was done by Wayne at Riverview Rder Training in Tarleton. Awesome experience but incredibly stressful and glad i never have to do it again !!!

you will be able to join the crowd at the carousel outside the chippy in southport now

• Like 1

Just now, skyrider said:

you will be able to join the crowd at the carousel outside the chippy in southport now

Already do on little Betty 😁 Andy on his vespa 🤣

1 minute ago, skyrider said:

i sometimes go in summer and then move on to ainsdale and birkdale 

Hubs hails from southport so he will know all those spots !!! We were there last night with the scooter crew. It was cold though !!!

1 hour ago, gymwitch said:

No second left life saver as i turned back into test centre road. 3rd minor. 

Ive no complaints. Examiner Rob was spot on. All my training was done by Wayne at Riverview Rder Training in Tarleton. Awesome experience but incredibly stressful and glad i never have to do it again !!!

Congrats on passing your test @gymwitch

Hopefully I read your post right as you never actually said YOU passed but your partner did.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JackieOWheels said:

Congrats on passing your test @gymwitch

Hopefully I read your post right as you never actually said YOU passed but your partner did.

Ooops ill edit that thanks !!

• Haha 1

YESSSSS! Finally after passing my Mod1 in October, managed to get booked in and actually take my Mod2 two days ago.
Not ridden a bike since the Mod1 pass, so was just straight in to the Mod2 with however many months of no bike.
Found the Mod 2 a lot harder than the Mod 1, think more through sheer nerves than anything else.

I guessed I had failed about 20 seconds in, as I thought i'd not done a lifesaver.

So I was pretty much deflated for the whole thing, I just completely ignored the fact I was being followed just listening to what

the examiner was telling me to do.

He had me do one pullover and stop within about a minute of riding. Seemed to go ok.

I was struggling with my turns in to junctions with or without lights, doing them wide for some reason. It is a habit I keep doing

but I was doing it all the time in this test. Annoyingly.
A pullover and stop on a hill, somehow forgot about getting the clutch biting first. So rolled a bit then slammed on the throttle

as I rolled back. 🙈

The last pullover and stop he did, was for angled start behind a car. I misheard him and thought he said "Pull up behind the Ford Ka"
He'd said the fourth car in purple, somehow missed the purple bit.
Anyway, I pulled up behind a car we carried on and he did it again a couple of minutes later.

I felt I was doing the wrong speed on some roads, constantly wondering what the speed limit was.
Whole time just thought, bah who cares i'm buggered and failed anyway. Gonna be another £100+ out my pocket to retake.

But, I passed... I was absolutely GOBSMACKED. 😂 With about 4 minors... basically all the things I thought i'd failed on.
Wide turns, speed, control on slow stops. Apparently I was very good with lifesavers/mirror checking knowing what was
around me etc. Just mop up on those bits and i'll do well.

Now I just need a house with a garage, so I can get a bike. Once i've chosen what damn bike I want that I can actually afford.
Then i'd like to do some of the advanced courses you can do. Would be good fun.

Edited by peatear
  • Like 4