On Friday 30th October I will be taking the forum offline at around 1.45pm as the forum is getting moved to a new server

Any questions then feel free to post on this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73786

Fecking Car Insurance

Not bike related? Talk about it here!
User avatar
Fish
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:25 pm
Location: London/Kent Borders
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 48 times

Fecking Car Insurance

Post by Fish » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:06 pm

So I get the renewal quote from my current insurer and thought I've got a spare hour, let's grab a couple of quick quotes from the non-search sites.

Over £100 saving! I thought the government had put something in place about insurance companies ripping off loyal customers. :cry:

Guess I'll be having a bit more of a proper search tonight when I'm bored again.

Fish
Little MT-125 for learning

User avatar
husoi
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:14 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda Pam European ST1300 (08);Honda VT700c Shadow
Location: Fife, Scotland
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by husoi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:14 pm

If the difference is only £100 maybe is worth to tell your current provider about it.
Isn't such a big difference that they can't match the price.

Although I would double check on a couple comparison sites to make sure.
All my food only eat vegetables. So, I'm an indirect vegetarian :cool:

All problems have a solution.
You just need to figure it out :)

User avatar
manxie49
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:49 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha MT10 & Honda CRF250
Location: Isle of Man
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 462 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by manxie49 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:36 pm

Similar with my wife's car insurance, £120 more expensive than the previous year .... So I went onto their online quote page, filled out all the details and it came in at £165 cheaper than the renewal they had just sent us! I thought WTF so rang them up and they eventually gave us the insurance at the online quote cost .... You have to watch them and challenge them when necessary. I seem to go through the same rigmarole with my bike insurance every year as well.
If you don't like Motorcycles, you won't like me .... And I'm OK with that!

User avatar
husoi
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:14 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda Pam European ST1300 (08);Honda VT700c Shadow
Location: Fife, Scotland
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by husoi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm

manxie49 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:36 pm
Similar with my wife's car insurance, £120 more expensive than the previous year .... So I went onto their online quote page, filled out all the details and it came in at £165 cheaper than the renewal they had just sent us! I thought WTF so rang them up and they eventually gave us the insurance at the online quote cost .... You have to watch them and challenge them when necessary. I seem to go through the same rigmarole with my bike insurance every year as well.
See what you did there?

I would have told them that for the trouble of doing their work I would want a better price than the online quote ;)
All my food only eat vegetables. So, I'm an indirect vegetarian :cool:

All problems have a solution.
You just need to figure it out :)

User avatar
manxie49
Posts: 891
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:49 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Yamaha MT10 & Honda CRF250
Location: Isle of Man
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 462 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by manxie49 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:21 pm

husoi wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm
manxie49 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:36 pm
Similar with my wife's car insurance, £120 more expensive than the previous year .... So I went onto their online quote page, filled out all the details and it came in at £165 cheaper than the renewal they had just sent us! I thought WTF so rang them up and they eventually gave us the insurance at the online quote cost .... You have to watch them and challenge them when necessary. I seem to go through the same rigmarole with my bike insurance every year as well.
See what you did there?

I would have told them that for the trouble of doing their work I would want a better price than the online quote ;)
Didn't think of that .... I was just relieved at the time that I'd saved £165. You're right though, I was doing someones work for them :thumb:
If you don't like Motorcycles, you won't like me .... And I'm OK with that!

User avatar
husoi
Posts: 1027
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:14 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda Pam European ST1300 (08);Honda VT700c Shadow
Location: Fife, Scotland
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 578 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by husoi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:00 pm

That's why I refuse to use self-checkout in supermarkets :thumb:

The last thing I want is one day having someone doing my job ;)
All my food only eat vegetables. So, I'm an indirect vegetarian :cool:

All problems have a solution.
You just need to figure it out :)

User avatar
onesea
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:08 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): TDM 900/ Triumph Trophy 1200
Location: New Forest/ Hampshire
Has liked: 386 times
Been liked: 519 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by onesea » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:23 pm

manxie49 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:36 pm
I seem to go through the same rigmarole with my bike insurance every year as well.
I have multi bike cover for 2 bikes I cannot think of a comparison tool that can deal with this... Oh and both have business insurance for work as I work out of multiple work places and occasionally travel on them in work time.

I choose 2 maybe 3 and have to phone them up to get a price... Or go through each online page.
A survey showed profiles with a location are 80% more likely to get a response :thumb:
To add location on phone or desktop browser:
1) Click your profile name (this brings up Popup), 2) Tap User control Panel, 3) Tap the Profile Tab Scroll down to: Location
Or click this link: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/ucp.php ... ofile_info

User avatar
Tiggie
Moderator
Posts: 4279
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:46 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Nothing :-(
Location: Bingley, West Yorkshire
Has liked: 1758 times
Been liked: 1789 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by Tiggie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:31 pm

I once got a renewal quote from Admiral that was over £300 more than what I was paying. did a quick gocompare and funnily enough Admiral were offering me a quote cheaper than I was currently paying!

I rang them up and was told they couldn't match that offer for a renewal and its only available for new customers :scratch:

So obviously I cancelled and signed up again with them :roll:
Get your official TMBF snood/buff here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73218

Play nice or I'll wake Rennie up. And nobody wants that!!

bonio
Subscriber
Posts: 2400
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:16 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): MV Agusta TV 800, DR-Z400 SM, RV 125 VanVan
Location: NE Suffolk
Challenge score: 390
Has liked: 1655 times
Been liked: 670 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by bonio » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 pm

I've now got into the habit of getting a new policy each time. I really dislike the whole performance of them writing with a quote that's way too high and I am meant to phone and be grateful they can find me something at the right price.
Two Soups

User avatar
Bender
Moderator
Posts: 5336
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Gender: Male
Has liked: 2178 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by Bender » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:51 pm

bonio wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 pm
I've now got into the habit of getting a new policy each time. I really dislike the whole performance of them writing with a quote that's way too high and I am meant to phone and be grateful they can find me something at the right price.
Van and car were both cheaper than last year, car went up a smidgen but the way land-rovers are stolen it's no wonder.
Bite my shiny metal ass..

User avatar
Mississippi Bullfrog
Subscriber
Posts: 3528
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:07 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Honda CBF500 ABS Triumph Bobber
Location: Near Oulton Park
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 2380 times

Re: Fecking Car Insurance

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:27 am

Fish wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:06 pm
So I get the renewal quote from my current insurer and thought I've got a spare hour, let's grab a couple of quick quotes from the non-search sites.

Over £100 saving! I thought the government had put something in place about insurance companies ripping off loyal customers. :cry:

Guess I'll be having a bit more of a proper search tonight when I'm bored again.

Fish
Thanks for posting this, I happened to spot it and it reminded me that ours is due up next month. Just saved myself over £100 on the two car policies by asking a few questions. That's a pretty huge percentage difference which makes you wonder how much the industry is getting out of people who don't check.
Honda CBF500 ABS
Triumph Bobber

Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], gogs01, Trendiction [Bot] and 13 guests