What should you do

Robik

What should you do in these situations (mod 2 test)?

1) 3 cars are indicating to turn left into the junction you are turning right out of? Do you trust the indicators a turn or waiting till all cars turn before oulling out?

2) Do you do lifesavers or shoulder checks in afditiin to mirror checks before pulling away when the lights go green at traffic lights?

3) You realise you are going 38mph in 30mph zone. Do you break to slow down or just roll off the throttle?

Thanks all.

Wait, yes, roll off (although I am so mightily skilled that I would never miss a speed zone 8-) )

My instructor says no need for shoulder checks when pulling away from lights. Then whats all the should checks in mod 1 for then? :scratch:

Wait, yes, roll off (although I am so mightily skilled that I would never miss a speed zone 8-) )

My instructor says no need for shoulder checks when pulling away from lights. Then whats all the should checks in mod 1 for then? :scratch:

Just do the checks, you can never be too safe. It is an opinion he has, which may differ to that of the examiner, so I'd err on the side of caution.

1) 3 cars are indicating to turn left into the junction you are turning right out of? Do you trust the indicators a turn or waiting till all cars turn before oulling out?

2) Do you do lifesavers or shoulder checks in afditiin to mirror checks before pulling away when the lights go green at traffic lights?

3) You realise you are going 38mph in 30mph zone. Do you break to slow down or just roll off the throttle?

Thanks all.

I'm not an instructor and it's a long time since I did my test but

1. Wait, don't trust indicators. Don't pull out in front of anyone.

2. Always do a lifesaver before you move off. Which to me means look over your shoulder.

3. Brake, you should never be coasting. Always on the throttle or brake.

1) Difficult to say as it depends on the junction, speeds etc.

2) My instructor says do the shoulder checks at lights .. unless you've only just stopped and then the lights change.

3) Roll off the throttle and relax as you realize you've probably failed mod2. ;)

1) Without seeing the junction, wait until first car is actually turning then pull out whilst is turning in.

It will probably slow traffic enough even if the others are going straight on.

2) Depends again are there cyclists or other motorbikes around? Have you positively acknowledge seen ever vehicle stop around you?

Certainly mirror checks if any concerns then yes life savers

3) Roll off with touch of brakelight to show vehicle behind your slowing. Slowing demonstrates you know your mistake, breaking is so vehicle behind is aware. If large change of speed.

Thanks all.

1 - no, I wait till the last one is definitely turning.

2 - no, quick mirror check only

3 - roll off as the engine braking is not bad on my bike and it looses speed quickly.

1. wait till all 3 have turned, been in that situation and the last deciding to change his mind and overtake the first 2 and go straight on.

2. I always check my mirrors while waitng, will do shoulder checks before setting off.

3. Roll off the throttle, most speedos aren't 100% accurate and an indicated speed of 38 would actually be about 34/35, still over the limit though.

Gratuitously copied from a schools site.

I suggest you do what ever it is your instructor advises

Having been through the process I can only reiterate what I was told, if your at a complete stop checks both sides before you set off.

Your unlikely to get a fault for being over safe, you most certainly will get them for not doing a life saver, clues in the name.

There are six occasions when it is appropriate to do an observation/lifesaver:

i). Moving or turning to the right - including moving round parked vehicles, turning into a side road or changing lane.

ii). Moving or turning to the left - including turning into a side road, moving back to the left having passed a large stationary vehicle, pulling into the side of the road or changing lanes.

iii). Speeding up - either by going into a higher speed limit or pulling away from a standstill.

iv). Slowing down - again entering a lower speed limit, approaching a junction/hazard/roundabout or slowing to stop.

v). Where there is the potential to slow down - approaching green traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, unexpected hazards (horses) or in the event you feel you may have to stop suddenly (children playing by the side of the road).

vi). Updates - keeping a reasonably regular update on what is going on behind you

There are six occasions when it is appropriate to do an observation/lifesaver:

i). Moving or turning to the right - including moving round parked vehicles, turning into a side road or changing lane.

ii). Moving or turning to the left - including turning into a side road, moving back to the left having passed a large stationary vehicle, pulling into the side of the road or changing lanes.

iii). Speeding up - either by going into a higher speed limit or pulling away from a standstill.

iv). Slowing down - again entering a lower speed limit, approaching a junction/hazard/roundabout or slowing to stop.

v). Where there is the potential to slow down - approaching green traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, unexpected hazards (horses) or in the event you feel you may have to stop suddenly (children playing by the side of the road).

vi). Updates - keeping a reasonably regular update on what is going on behind you

My instructor says no need for shoulder checks when pulling away from lights. ? :scratch:

I don't need to check my shoulders. If they were missing my arms would fall off.

Blind spot check on the other hand are often a good idea especially if you have dodgy mirrors or have not been checking them. Then when I filter past you it is not going to be a surprise. 8-)

In certain parts of our glorious Capital it would probably be wise to check your mirrors while at a junction incase you suddenly find yourself surrounded by hooded feral scum on scooters and armed with knives .

What about when joining a very busy dual carriageway on a wet day? Seems like we are encouraged to get up to speed quickly, but how to do this and maintain a 4 second gap?

What about when joining a very busy dual carriageway on a wet day? Seems like we are encouraged to get up to speed quickly, but how to do this and maintain a 4 second gap?s

Great in theory, in heavy traffic and shit weather the practicality becomes something else.

What about when joining a very busy dual carriageway on a wet day? Seems like we are encouraged to get up to speed quickly, but how to do this and maintain a 4 second gap?s

Great in theory, in heavy traffic and shit weather the practicality becomes something else.

Would an examiner see it this way do you think?

Examiner will look to see you make safest decisions you can, I did my test in rush hour morning traffic, had to join the a1 twice in different directions definitely didn't have any 4 second gaps, aimed for biggest ones and made gap bigger as I went

Don't over think and worry too much, it's just a ride out with a mate 😁

1) Wait until it is all clear, a cyclist or motorcycle may be overtaking the 3 cars, and you may not see it.

2) If you've been waiting at the lights for a while, do full checks, mirrors, and both lifesavers before moving off. Cyclists or motorcyclist could be filtering, up into your blind spot

3) Check mirrors, use brakes and roll off throttle to slow down. Checking mirrors so you know what is happening behind you as you slow. Brake lights warn following traffic you are slowing