Salt/rust protection

Jerry1111

Started to clean my bike today and that got me thinking...

I understand that the default choice in the motorbiking world for rust/salt/weather protection is a liberal application of ACF50.

Has anyone tried products from marine environment? I'm thinking here something like Quiksilver Corrosion Guard spray and 3-in-1 grease. That keeps rust away from my outboards and only gets applied once/twice per year - and this stuff is in salt water all the time.

Especially Corrosion Guard - it's such an easy application as a spray, when compared to"rubbing in" ACF50 with a cloth.

My bikes have just been liberally coated in ACF50. Had not thought of marine protection, although ACF50 I think is cheaper.

Interestingly this time for application I used an airless spray to get it into the corners. Seemed to work well.

Oh and if you get it on your brakes it will burn off... Don't ask how I know.

My bikes have just been liberally coated in ACF50. Had not thought of marine protection, although ACF50 I think is cheaper.

Interestingly this time for application I used an airless spray to get it into the corners. Seemed to work well.

Oh and if you get it on your brakes it will burn off... Don't ask how I know.

Same as.

I use a good degreaser on bike then dry off with a pet dryer and allow to dry in heated garage ...

Cover brakes and any important/ delicate items with thick material

Warm the bike up with pet dryer on hot and then use an Air compressor and spray gun with ACF or XCP to distribute across the whole bike not so much need to remove every panel as it mists into those awkward places nicely .

Allow to settle and remove maskings and run to remove the burny off residue...

I've tried ACF and XCP but always found there was some part that was getting rusty (even with a professional applying it) and me thinking the bikes were protected didn't notice any rust until the spring when it had its deep clean and by that point, it was too late. This happened with ACF one year and then XCP the second, I thought as it was a heavier duty product it would cover me.

My previous Aprilia Dorsoduro didn't have any of this during the winter, just a wash after a ride (or rinse if it was dry but salty) and they dried off with a portable leaf blower and then wiped over with WD40 (or similar). That bike at the end of the winter didn't have a single bit of rust on it!

I will be sticking to the rinse and dry solution going forward as I found it better to keep rust at bay and means I check over the bike more regularly. :thumb:

Ok, so what I'm hearing is that I should get myself an air compressor and a spray gun to mist everything in ACF. What I have is a manual "spray bottle" - which squirts a thin jet of ACF, which then results in everything dripping onto the floor.

Need to get approval for investment, won't be easy!

+1 for the rinse (cold water only) and dry. The GS 125 is a lot easier to deal with than an XJ but it is worth it if you have to run during winter, a pet drier is good for the winter but a compressor is a good investment anyway. After i rinse / wash any of mt bikes it gets a goot blow off with the air line. I do have 2 water traps fitted, one to the outlet and one just before the gun. Pay attention to the switchgear, brakes and chain. I do rub ACF50 on the metal bit with a cloth and it does a good job. The point is to do this wash/ rinse regular so as not to miss any part starting to show signs of corrosion.

this is after 6 winters now

Done.thumb.JPG.e1d03a41dbaa26063a98aa5a13942306.JPG

[mention]Jerry1111[/mention] I have historically done the same, with manual spray wiping it out with clean cloth. It works and you probably over apply.

This time I had one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb558srg-100w-electric-solenoid-spray-gun-220-240v/11919?kpid=11919&ds_kid=92700052136101731&ds_rl=1243321&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI65HMzo7G7AIVAeR3Ch24IAAlEAQYBCABEgLZ4PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

From painting the fence. It misted ok next time I was thinking to adding a thinner.

Considering white spirit?

Another suggestion was to warm the ACF50 as it mists better.

Would I buy this type of spray gun to spray my bikes?

Not unless I had other uses for it...

There is an aerosol version :thumb:

acf50-spray.jpg

I’ve got this, I find it best to spray it into the cap then use a small paint brush to apply.

Stand the can in a jug of hot water for 10 minutes or so, and the spray is much finer for more coverage.

Regularly washing the bike to rid it of winter grit, crud and salt is the most effective corrosion prevention method.

Also most costly one - where do I get the time, especially when the days are short and beer gets opened earlier and earlier in the evening

:D

What we used to do back in the day was coat all he surfaces with ordinary grease and let the shit , salt and filth build up until the bike was black . Then in the spring we would spend a day cleaning the bike until it was gleaming and just carry on .

What we used to do back in the day was coat all he surfaces with ordinary grease and let the shit , salt and filth build up until the bike was black . Then in the spring we would spend a day cleaning the bike until it was gleaming and just carry on .

I didn't realize we weren't meant to do that anymore. It's how I run the Honda.

That would be for you & the bike ..... 🤣🤣

The other side of the coin ...

The dark side ......

My 2018 bike was never washed ... sprayed in WD40 .. And more WD40 ...

And washed in cold water ...

Not good enough .. read, rear calliper seized ... Bad !!

Factory recall ... Huzzah ...

Result ...

New rear calliper .... New front calliper, new rear master cylinder ...

Well worth not doing good maintenance ... :D :D

The dark side ......

Result ...

Oh please , not again . WD40 is 70% solvent and 30% who knows what and it is completely useless as a corrosion inhibitor .

The dark side ......

Result ...

Oh please , not again . WD40 is 70% solvent and 30% who knows what and it is completely useless as a corrosion inhibitor .

And that was the whole point of the post !! Ay Caramba !!!

With a positive outcome ... :D