A2 EU Directive

Hi all just recieved an email from MAG regarding the change to the EU directive for the A2 licence,

Hello MIchael,

I have spoken to the DVSA on this. The reply was as follows:

“There are benefits for riders, trainers and the motorcycle industry if the A2 test category changes to include smaller motorcycles than present.

We will be consulting on the changes when other priorities and the government’s legislative programme allows.”

I would therefore predict that the change will be adopted in the UK, though I suspect it may well be a considerable length of time before it happens as it will come down to priorities for the legislative programme. Motorcycling sadly appears right at the bottom of that list.

MAG have a position on the DVSA’s Bike Training and Testing Advisory Group and also the DfT Road Safety Delivery Group, so we will use this position to put pressure on the government to push this change through along with the proposed CBT changes that have been on the back-burner far too long.

MAG could do with more membership from riders who currently are not fully qualified. This is so that we can hear the views of new riders and demonstrate to the policy makers that we speak for them. Currently our membership consists mainly of older, experienced and fully qualified riders. I would urge you to consider taking out a MAG membership and persuading any of your riding friends to do the same. The work we do requires the voices of all riders to be represented, and we are less effective without members from all parts of the riding community.

Best regards

I wouldn't hold your breath! ... We're no longer in the EU and the "proposed cbt changes" have been going on since 2016.

The one I would like to see implemented is .. Training courses to upgrade motorcycle licences

DVSA also wants your views on a proposal to introduce a training course that existing riders can take to upgrade their motorcycle licence, rather than having to take extra tests.

It does seem pointless that once you have passed a test you then need to do another to be able to ride a bigger bike, where a simple demonstration of your riding ability can be judged by an approved instructor or even an appointed examiner to say yay or nay to have a licence upgrade :thumb:

I would be more concerned how UK residents license is accepted in the EU.

Currently you need a heep of international licenses depending on how many countries you visit...

Currently you need a heep of international licenses depending on how many countries you visit...

I expect there to be no change at all.

I would imagine it would be the same as any non UK Licence holders coming here, ie their licence is valid for 12 months :thumb:

I would imagine it would be the same as any non UK Licence holders coming here, ie their licence is valid for 12 months :thumb:

You wold, wouldn't you...

Last year because of the exit, no exit kerfuffle I got the international licenses to ride to Portugal, needed 1 for Portugal and France and a different one for Spain.

Last time I check there was no changes. They are still acquired at Post office for £5.50 each

Last year because of the exit, no exit kerfuffle I got the international licenses to ride to Portugal, needed 1 for Portugal and France and a different one for Spain.

Last time I check there was no changes. They are still acquired at Post office for £5.50 each

Strange! .. According to the Post Office IDP checker No International Driving Permit is required for Spain, France or Portugal! .. You should also only need one!

Strange! .. According to the Post Office IDP checker No International Driving Permit is required for Spain, France or Portugal! .. You should also only need one!

Currently yes. After 31/12 this is what gov.uk says:

"Driving

You may need extra documents from 1 January 2021.

You might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries.

If you’re taking your own vehicle, you might also need a ‘green card’ or valid proof of insurance and a GB sticker."

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit

Bollox to the sticker :lol: , went on holiday to France via Amsterdam and Brussels about 15 years ago and some numpty was telling me i had to put a GB sticker on the car, told him to get fekked :lol: :thumb:

Currently yes. After 31/12 this is what gov.uk says:

"Driving

You may need extra documents from 1 January 2021.

You might need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries.

If you’re taking your own vehicle, you might also need a ‘green card’ or valid proof of insurance and a GB sticker."

https://www.gov.uk/visit-europe-1-january-2021

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit

in other words our clueless government are as crap at predicting the future as internet experts.

i think nothing will change.. nothing that is noticeable anyway for anyone travelling to the EU on holiday. because of Northern Ireland. the UK governement may not care very much about agreements and international law. but the EU definitely does.

You don't need an international driver's license for many non-EU countries so if the EU decide we do it's going to be out of vindictiveness. Surely they wouldn't be like that?

Brits here have been told that UK licences will no longer be valid from 1st Jan.

But I'm presuming that's for Brits living here as opposed to holidaymakers.

That's fair enough. I think it's the same in the UK? A foreign license is valid for a while and then you have to get a UK one. I believe some countries have equivalence.

Does that mean you have to take a Spanish driving test?

That's fair enough. I think it's the same in the UK? A foreign license is valid for a while and then you have to get a UK one. I believe some countries have equivalence.

I've had a Spanish licence since 2008 or thereabouts.

No test required......because of the EU equivalence.

From January on that will change......and Brits will have the same third country status as Americans, Aussies etc.....so they'll need to retake tests.

From January on that will change......and Brits will have the same third country status as Americans, Aussies etc.....so they'll need to retake tests.

Thought that would be the same as EU citizens living in the UK, I changed my license to an UK so the insurance was cheaper.

Will that be retrospective?

If so imagine all those Gammons turning puce with rage at the cheek of some Dago questioning their ability to drive while pissed up on cheap local plonk 🤣🤣

Nice little earner for for the local test centres as well ... maybe a business opportunity for a savvy expat.

If so imagine all those Gammons turning puce with rage at the cheek of some Dago questioning their ability to drive while pissed up on cheap local plonk 🤣🤣

Nice little earner for for the local test centres as well ... maybe a business opportunity for a savvy expat.

The Gammons are f@cked Mickly.......because the tests inc theory would all be in Spanish!

And I guarantee that all of that type here (and there'll be a lot of them) have been under the radar for years.

They haven't paid into the system in terms of taxes or healthcare.......so if they go to register now for residency the authorities are going to be questioning how they've been existing here over the years. Real can of worms right there.

Of course they can go all go back to Britain if they wish......but as I understand it they won't have health cover or benefits for 6 months upon their return.

But they knew what they were voting for! :lol:

The Gammons are f@cked Mickly.......because the tests inc theory would all be in Spanish!

And I guarantee that all of that type here (and there'll be a lot of them) have been under the radar for years.

They haven't paid into the system in terms of taxes or healthcare.......so if they go to register now for residency the authorities are going to be questioning how they've been existing here over the years. Real can of worms right there.

Of course they can go all go back to Britain if they wish......but as I understand it they won't have health cover or benefits for 6 months upon their return.

Be really funny if the Spanish government expelled them & they had to get back to Britain in a kiddies inflatable boat as the borders are closed to migrants 🤣🤣

Be really funny if the Spanish government expelled them & they had to get back to Britain in a kiddies inflatable boat as the borders are closed to migrants 🤣🤣

I'd love it! I just paid my quarterly tax bill today and it really winds me up that so many of them are just flying under the radar and contributing nothing.

Hi all just recieved an email from MAG regarding the change to the EU directive for the A2 licence,

Hello MIchael,

I have spoken to the DVSA on this. The reply was as follows:

“There are benefits for riders, trainers and the motorcycle industry if the A2 test category changes to include smaller motorcycles than present.

We will be consulting on the changes when other priorities and the government’s legislative programme allows.”

I would therefore predict that the change will be adopted in the UK, though I suspect it may well be a considerable length of time before it happens as it will come down to priorities for the legislative programme. Motorcycling sadly appears right at the bottom of that list.

MAG have a position on the DVSA’s Bike Training and Testing Advisory Group and also the DfT Road Safety Delivery Group, so we will use this position to put pressure on the government to push this change through along with the proposed CBT changes that have been on the back-burner far too long.

MAG could do with more membership from riders who currently are not fully qualified. This is so that we can hear the views of new riders and demonstrate to the policy makers that we speak for them. Currently our membership consists mainly of older, experienced and fully qualified riders. I would urge you to consider taking out a MAG membership and persuading any of your riding friends to do the same. The work we do requires the voices of all riders to be represented, and we are less effective without members from all parts of the riding community.

Best regards

Hi Dynax,

I Emailed the DVSA directly on 9th October 2020 and got this reply today concerning the changes to the A2 test, due to be adopted by the EU at the end of this month. I got this reply direct from them:

We appreciate the feedback you have provided on this issue.

I can assure you the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVSA) do support the planned changes to the A2 category minimum test vehicle requirements.

We are waiting for the opportunity to move this forward when the government's legislative program allows. I am sure you’ll appreciate the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has delayed the introduction of new legislation.

We will be consulting on the proposed changes in due course, and we will publish further information on the consultation and how to take part as soon as possible.

We appreciate your continued patience in this matter.

It looks like they are supportive, but obviously more pressing issues are taking up the governments attention at the moment. I am interested in doing a "lighter" A2 bike test. I have a full A1 licence at present

• 3 months later...

It will never happen but for motorcycles, along with direct access, I would like to see a change that would allow someone that has passed A1 to ride A2 on L plates and then if you pass A2 you are allowed to ride A(unrestricted) on L's.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

It will never happen but for motorcycles, along with direct access, I would like to see a change that would allow someone that has passed A1 to ride A2 on L plates and then if you pass A2 you are allowed to ride A(unrestricted) on L's.

you are correct .. it will never happen .. too much money to be had as it stands.

20 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

I have said this before and fully agree, this makes much more sense in so many ways that I don't know why they have not even considered this as an option to the licensing system.