New chain time

Pbassred

Other than fitting a replacement OEM chain, are there good and bad brands to look out for? What about coatings? The gold colour. Presumably its for corrosion resistance. Does it work?

Tsubaki, D.I.D. Renthal.

The gold coating helps certainly with the chain looking good.. but is no reason to stop oiling. there is no gold coating where its actually needed.

Your OEM chain will be a D.I.D. but.. not Japanese made. (its from their factory in Thailand)

As said above the gold is just colour on the side of the links. You can get other coloures as well.

Doesn't hel with the working of the chain, just make sit look better when new.

My bike had a "gold" chain when I bought it, Looked good when it was clean, but showed the dirt and looked bad after only a few miles.

After 1 winter the colour started to flake off making it look bad all the time.

Since I ride throught the winter I replaced it when worn out with a non coloured chain.

I had a gold plated DID chain on my bike when I got it. When the chain was worn out there wasn't a spec of rust on it and the plating was still intact. I replaced it with a regular non plated DID because I wasn't too bothered about the gold look. Regret it now. The outside links definitely rust quicker on the non plated one. The gold plating does help prevent rusting. I will always get the plated chains from now on. Who cares if it shows dirt, it's a chain.

• 3 weeks later...

I got DID too. and just the plain.. It was lubed new and hasn't done loads of miles, already some rust on rollers. (light lube before each trip) so i clearly either lubed bad, or lube is crap. (banana lube) So id defo get gold next time if its better for rust. I too got JT sprockets, which seem awesome.

today used a tin of muc off lube i had to see if better...