Idle higher when warm ?

James in Brum

Hi gang,

My lovely bike seems all fine but once I have been riding for twenty minutes or so the engine does not slow as much as I would expect. It the isles at 3000.

I can drag it down with a little clutch off whilst the brake is on. Then it sits where it should

At about 1100.

Any ideas. Gang?

My ignorant guessing would have been throttle cable but could not imagine how the using the bike for twenty minutes makes it happen.

Thanks for suggestion @XTreme

[mention]fastbob[/mention] will know the answer I bet!

If you can slow the idle down by dragging the clutch and then it idles where it should then I don't think it's an air leak. If it was the idle would go straight back up as soon as you released the clutch.

My guess is a sticky linkage or cable. If a throttle cable is expanding as it gets hot that might cause that effect.

If you can slow the idle down by dragging the clutch and then it idles where it should then I don't think it's an air leak. If it was the idle would go straight back up as soon as you released the clutch.

My guess is a sticky linkage or cable. If a throttle cable is expanding as it gets hot that might cause that effect.

Carbs can do funny things especially CV ones .

Thanks all, it makes sense to think Carbs because they have been recently ish messed about with. Will try to wd40 see if it bubbles trick. If the weather is dry this weekend.

It's not that it bubbles. WD40 is combustible so any air leak will draw it in and you'll hear the idle rise momentarily. You can use EasiStart as an alternative.

Or spray water and listen for the idle dropping slightly.

it makes sense to think Carbs because they have been recently ish messed about with.

In what way have they been messed about with?

incorrect carb settings can also make the revs hang high momentarily but it normally comes back down after a few seconds or so