I found a CHEAP route to gaining a full bike licence!

Interesting all the comments!

Poor lad didn’t deserve to be targeted by some of the users on this site

I’m 57, riding all my adult life & been training my 50 yr old sister on my 600 fazer, (off rd). She’s been riding 125 (cbt) for a while & is in the same position whereas we don’t want to pay £600 for training & just interested in having insurance for taking the test. As a family we have been riding off road for many years & don’t see anything wrong with taking the test without professional training, it doesn’t make you a poor rider. This is just our opinion & I respect the other users that have their own opinions

Thankyou 😎

Quite right.

Please come back and let us know how she gets on in her Mod 1 and 2 tests. :D

In fairness some of us over a certain age were lucky enough to get a FS1E or AP50 for our 16th birthday and assuming we survived the next 12 months a 250 capable of nearly, or in the case of LC`s certainly over a ton !

Compulsory training was something we didn`t even think about after all our older brothers laughed at us for having crash helmets and 250`s.

Some of us are still here and breathing so I believe it is possible to learn for yourself.

In my opinion traffic etc is a whole lot more dangerous nowadays and if tuition is available why not take advantage but don`t forget some of the most experienced riders including some instructors are entirely self taught.

Cheers

Ian

Its not difficult to learn how to ride a motorcycle! .. The only reason I have lessons is to learn how to pass the test!

the difficult bit is learning how to avoid being knocked off .. and learning :by rote how :to pass a test will not provide the anticipation required to do this ...

Its not difficult to learn how to ride a motorcycle! .. The only reason I have lessons is to learn how to pass the test!

the difficult bit is learning how to avoid being knocked off .. and learning :by rote how :to pass a test will not provide the anticipation required to do this ...

I learnt to ride a motorcycle years ago long before there were lessons. ;) Also rode and passed my test in New Zealand and had further training. .. Unfortunately I have to re do my test in the UK and to do that I need to know what the examiner is looking for.

The problem is that if you use advanced cornering etc on your test you will fail as the examiners don't consider "learners" have the experience to use it.

The problem is that if you use advanced cornering etc on your test you will fail as the examiners don't consider "learners" have the experience to use it.

the problem is .. this is a race track technique.. and likely to cause an accident given roads are cluttered by obstacles and hazards which you won`t find on a closed race circuit..

the problem is .. this is a race track technique.. and likely to cause an accident given roads are cluttered by obstacles and hazards which you won`t find on a closed race circuit..

No! Its not racetrack technique! .. Its what I was taught as part of more advanced on road training in NZ.

lessons aren't about learning to ride, they are about passing the test. if you have previous or even long experience of riding a motorcycle in another country then the primary purpose of lessons here will be to drive out all those "bad habits" we all have and employ every day of the week. and ride in a manner that will tick all the boxes the examiner has lined up - leading to a pass.

I have been riding since 1980 and if i were to lose my license for any reason and need to do the test again.. then I know that i would need lessons. because right now im almost certain to fail miserably. embarrassingly badly (probably)

• Like 1

looks like race track derived technique

Advanced Cornering - The Racing School #6

and race track cornering tuition

https://www.circuitbasedtraining.co.uk/motorcycle-training/advanced-cornering-385

looks like race track derived technique

Advanced Cornering - The Racing School #6

and race track cornering tuition

https://www.circuitbasedtraining.co.uk/motorcycle-training/advanced-cornering-385

I would expect a Racing School to deliver race track cornering technique .. However that's not the training I received!

It wasn't this course but it was something similar delivered in NZ .. https://motorcycleroadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-cornering-skills

I would expect a Racing School to deliver race track cornering technique .. However that's not the training I received!

either way its not compatable with road craft techniques as taught in this country .. evidently you already know enough about riding a motorcycle so you should have no problem passing your test ... do let us know how you get on won't you !!!

either way its not compatable with road craft techniques as taught in this country .. evidently you already know enough about riding a motorcycle so you should have no problem passing your test ... do let us know how you get on won't you !!!

Not compatable with road craft techniques as taught in this country? .. Better have a word with these guys then!

https://motorcycleroadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-cornering-skills

It'll be sometime before I get a test .. No slots available in my area!

Not compatable with road craft techniques as taught in this country? .. Better have a word with these guys then!

nope .. private company ..nothing to do with dsa..

try reading official publications designed for those taking the test .. https://www.dsabooks.co.uk/

nope .. private company ..nothing to do with dsa..

try reading official publications designed for those taking the test .. https://www.dsabooks.co.uk/

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here! .. I know these guys are nothing to do with the Driving Standards Agency! I know where to book tests etc!

You stated that advanced cornering techniques are " Not compatable with road craft techniques as taught in this country"

I'm pointing out that they are and that they are taught in this country by this group https://motorcycleroadcraft.co.uk/motorcycle-cornering-skills (there are plenty of others) !

I am also saying that people need to learn what the examiners are looking for as it is not always what experienced rider may think.

As a former Forklift Trainer / Examiner , I can tell you that if operators drove to the standard required to pass the test , industry would grind to a halt . On the plus side 1,300 people a year would avoid serious injury or death .

As a former Forklift Trainer / Examiner , I can tell you that if operators drove to the standard required to pass the test , industry would grind to a halt . On the plus side 1,300 people a year would avoid serious injury or death .

i have actually taken a rtitb counterbalance forklift licence test .. got a certificate somewhere .. though i suspect i would need an update .. weird .. not like driving a car .. so i shut my mouth .. disregarded what shit i thought i knew and did as when and how i was told .. guess what .. i passes first time.. :cheers:

Kiwi is correct, use of mirrors and life savers is very different for advanced riding, if you rode like that there is every chance you would fail due to not doing enough life savers and using mirrors, there is nothing wrong with either style they are Set up to look at riding differently.

I'm sure bob is more than capable at riding it is just a process to go through to ensure what it is he needs to be doing to pas.

I'm fairly certain I would pass my test again tomorrow, I have friends who have been riding over 40years, not one of them thinks they would pass the test first time, they ride smooth as can be and ride like they are part of the bike, but I've seen enough even on the sensible rides to know they are correct 😁

i have actually taken a rtitb counterbalance forklift licence test .. got a certificate somewhere .. though i suspect i would need an update .. weird .. not like driving a car .. so i shut my mouth .. disregarded what shit i thought i knew and did as when and how i was told .. guess what .. i passes first time.. :cheers:

I never actually failed anyone on the test but I did terminate the training on day two for people that were not making sufficient progress . This did not go down well with the company management who used to put pressure on me to compromise my integrity . So I f****d off and went to work in a motorcycle shop instead .

where will you get the mass amount of experience that a tutor would provide? youtube?

plus £600 is if you actually pass first time and dont require alot of training. No way would I have passed AND be a safer rider if not for Eric teaching me

where will you get the mass amount of experience that a tutor would provide? youtube?

plus £600 is if you actually pass first time and dont require alot of training. No way would I have passed AND be a safer rider if not for Eric teaching me

Would that be Eric as in EAW Eric at Edlington, if so i did my CBT with him :lol: :thumb:

Would that be Eric as in EAW Eric at Edlington, if so i did my CBT with him :lol: :thumb:

It is ma love.. lol I did cbt with Andy but couldnt get on with him at all.

I did the off road bit with Andy i thought he was okay but Eric took me out on the road which i found him to be better :thumb:

I did the off-road bit with Andy i thought he was okay but Eric took me out on the road which i found him to be better :thumb:

Andy was all smiles and cheer with the ladies but barely said good morning to fellas.. good with safety info when riding just isnt a people person.

I did the off-road bit with Andy i thought he was okay but Eric took me out on the road which i found him to be better :thumb:

Andy was all smiles and cheer with the ladies but barely said good morning to fellas.. good with safety info when riding just isnt a people person.

No ladies present when i did my cbt, probably why he was able to concentrate on the job in hand then :lol: