Buying a bike from a dealer - any advice?

bonio

I've found a bike I'd like to buy. It's a 2019 model, but new and unregistered. The only 2019 thing about it is the colour, and that it comes with panniers included. I like the colour and I would get the panniers anyway. It's about £1700 cheaper than the equivalent thing in the 2020 model. It's a good saving, and comes in part because it qualifies for a £750 "manufacturer's deposit contribution" (available until the end of the year), but the new model doesn't.

But here's the bit where I am clueless -how to go about negotiating a price?

I'm thinking of saying something like this: if I buy it now it's just going to sit in the garage and depreciate, and that's going to cost me £500 or more, and ask if they can offset this with free labour on fitting some extras (heated grips, a scottoiler) and a free first service. Does this seem reasonable?

So a bit more information in case anyone's interested...

Why buy new? Tbh I'd prefer something 2 or 3 years old (older than that and they have issues) but there are next to none around... I went to see one, but it was a bit bashed about and rusted in places after 6000 miles. There's another being sold privately; the guy says that in the he's 4 months he's had it from new, he's had it lowered, put new pipes on and had it remapped for more power (none of which I want) and he's holding out for no test rides. There are a couple of ex-demos around too, but they all come in at more than the new one.

If you don't ask you won't know. It's already discounted but it depends how keen they are to shift it and how business is for them at the moment.

The first service is often thrown in to seal a deal.

This is how I bought my Bobber, got it cheaper than a used one and in the colour I really wanted. It's nice to have a bike knowing no one else has messed around with it.

Good luck.

If it's already discounted then they won't be likely to budge on price. As was said earlier it depends on how desperate they are to shift it. Also, bike dealers (fromwhat I understand) don't have a lot of wiggle room with regards to price when compared to car dealers.

However all you can do is chance it. Worst happens is they say no. Then they might be able to do you deals on accessories or throw in the 1st service or something

I agree with Mississippi, as it's already been discounted, it will depend on how desperate they are to shift it out of their shop. The first service should be free. All you can do is try and negotiate, make an offer and be a bit cheeky about what you offer, do a bit of haggling and find some common ground, even if, at the end of the day, all he agrees to is fitting the parts for free then at least that's something. I always haggle the price at my local dealer and usually get some sort of discount, even if I'm only buying a pair of boots :D Good luck with it :thumb:

Guest Swagman

I would ask for some extras but if there were none to be had I would buy it anyway, it’s new and at a discounted price and includes panniers and the colour you like, so to me it’s a no brainier buy it. :thumb:

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

In the end I got the first service thrown in plus a bit of a reduction on the grips - all more than I might have got otherwise.

It comes in a few weeks. :D

i reckon it's an RVF 750R :?:

Ohhhhhh.... in my dreams.

I need one dream for the bike, and another to be able to bend enough to sit on it.

Ahh a Honda monkey.

No @goat mate. It's a bit bigger. And a bit less sensible.

And I hold you completely responsible. :lol:

Less sensible than a honda monkey?? A penny farthing with an R1 engine?

Less sensible than a honda monkey?? A penny farthing with an R1 engine?

Well it ain't no honda. And it doesn't have a Yam engine.

Superveloce 800?

Close. Very close