Modular (flip up) helmets - what do you think?

What's your view on flip front helmets, I've always thought that they are less safe than a full face, and tend to remind me of the IAM observer on the GS ...

I wear specs, now wondering if life is any easier with one of these style helmets.

Hi

I have been wearing them for years I wear glasses and can put the helmet on without removing the glasses. No messing about trying to get my glasses back in the right position. Most recent is a Schuberth C3 Pro prior to that Nolans. Not had a problem with any but then thankfully I have not had to test them against something solid.

I used to wear a Caberg . I can't really remember any advantage to having the flip front other than being able to neck a can of pop while still at the petrol pump . I wouldn't go back to having one because I'm quite happy with my Shark Vision . And before anyone asks , no I'm not going to be wearing an open face piss pot just because I've got a Harley .

Come from a few full face helmets and since I got the ST1300 I bought a Nolan flip-up.

Can't fault it, have space for glasses, have built-in sun visor, plenty space for headphones for intercom/music/satnav.

Lightweight considering all the additional fittings and comfortable.

Because of the monstrous screen of the ST1300 I can ride with the helmet open at 60mph with not much noise. Just enough to cover the yap-yap behind me :lol:

Don't think is a good option for sport bikes because you will find lighter helmets that won't stress your neck as much although new flip-up's are almost as light.

Would I go back to normal full face? Nah, but I'm not going back to sport bikes :thumb: 8-)

Schuberth C3 pro and I really like it. I find it more comfortable and easier to put on than a full face. Maybe a tad noisier but I wear ear plugs anyway. Like the built in sun visor as well. Like anything it's personal choice.

Mine is a Frank Thomas and still in an as new condition after 18 months, there is some wind noise but not excessive the locking mechanism is still very positive and secure, optional visors available including pinlock and tinted variants and has an internal sun screen and quick release chin strap, can't fault it at all and would get another :thumb:

Caberg Duke here. I have had a couple of flip fronts as I wear glasses and find them much better. Fortunately I've never had to test it how it performs in an accident. It has a flip down sun visor which I use occasionally. The lining is detachable for washing and pretty easy to get back in right. I like the quick release chin strap.

Mine is due for replacement as I've had is a few year now and it's getting noiser, from new it was fine but the past year it's noticeable. I wear ear plus on longer trips but round the farms I usually don't bother.

Comes with a pinlock which is good. The visor got scratched when I left it somewhere and someone knocked it off the table and replacements are not too badly priced.

In looking at replacements I'd certainly have another flip front - either the Caberg Duke 2 or the Schubert C3 which is meant to be quieter.

I have a full face and flip up (Neotec 2) and I always find myself going for the flip up because it’s just much more convenient.

Safety wise your looking for one that declares its ‘dual homologated’ which means its safety has been tested as an open face helmet and as a full face.

Surprisingly some flip ups are only safety tested as open face helmets so it doesn’t matter if the chin bar stays shut or if it offers any protection!

It’s worth looking at the SHARP rating which lets you know how well the chin bar stands up to impact. If the helmet you want hasn’t been rated by them (and assuming it’s dual homologated) you can looks at the brands scores on their other helmets and it’ll give you an idea of how well the brand tends to fair.

ps If you’re considering the Neotec the integrated sena coms kit that you can purchase for it looks good but isn’t particularly functional because at higher speeds (40-50mph) the speakers are too quiet. They’re fine for music but for coms.. pah.

No earbud port either, unless you’re happy to hack into the expensive and flimsy wiring and add one. Which I did and it worked out well.

‘Billy’s Bike Helmets’ website has useful helmet reviews.

I’m on my 2nd flip up. I’ve just replaced the Shoei Neotec with an AGV sport modular.

Again, a lot easier to get on and off than and full face when the chin guard is up.

The best thing I like about the flip ups is in the summer time, when it’s bloody hot, and you can lift the chin guard up in the 30, 40 & 50 mph zones and get some lovely fresh cooler air in your face. Definitely helps to cool you down.

Much more convenient than the full face lids. Can keep them on in the shops and as said, you can have a drink and keep it on if you like.

Yep I second that. On a longer ride I always get dehydrated cos I can be bothered to take my lid off. The flip up stopped that and fumbling around to find zips n Velcro and plugging in stuff for charging and fuelling ups easier.

I’ve just bought a Nexo flip up (cheapy flip up) from sportsbikeshop to have a go at custom painting.

What could possibly go wrong?!?! :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a full face and flip up (Neotec 2)

ps If you’re considering the Neotec the integrated sena coms kit that you can purchase for it looks good but isn’t particularly functional because at higher speeds (40-50mph) the speakers are too quiet. They’re fine for music but for coms.. pah.

I too have a Neotec 2 and the Sena comms kit designed for it. I have no problem with comms volume at all speeds. There is a setting in the Sena app called "Volume Boost" and its default setting is 'off'. Maybe this would help?

Cannot vouch for safety but ease of use I am on second.

First was GIVI that was really good till it meet an unfortunate end in a cooker..

Present one is HJC, I will sticking by with flip front. I don't need one that can ridden open as I always close it before I pull away.

I have a full face and flip up (Neotec 2)

I too have a Neotec 2 and the Sena comms kit designed for it. I have no problem with comms volume at all speeds. There is a setting in the Sena app called "Volume Boost" and its default setting is 'off'. Maybe this would help?

Thanks :thumb: I got fed up with it and hacked into it adding a headphone port. The earbuds are a boon!

I am on to my second Shark Evoline. I use it chin strap raised up to 40mph, then flip the chin strap down. Just having the chin strap move and how it fits onto the back of the helmet, makes it way less cumbersome to ride open than anything else. It is also legal for use both ways.