Anyone watched any of the latest ‘Long Way’ series?

Slowlycatchymonkey

I have no taste when it comes to mobike progs. Anything will do, I’ve watched the Hairy Bikers even though their childish tones and bad cooking does my head in and I’ve watched every episode of Sons of Anarchy. I’ve even watched Ride with Norman Reedus and that’s truly awful 😂

I don't know why anyone makes television programs about motorcycles at all . There are probably millions of hours of material on YouTube that cover every possible aspect of the hobby from as*holes falling off Sportsbikes trying to do stunts to meticulous classic restorations . There's not much of the world's road network that hasn't been filmed from behind a pair of handlebars while someone wibbles on about it with varying degrees of entertainment value . Every possible mechanical operation or repair on every bike imaginable is available to view and every bike past and present is given multiple reviews . But by far the best thing about YouTube is that it is made by US , the Bikers of the world and it's not dumbed down or spiced up to capture maximum ratings .

I don't know why anyone makes television programs about motorcycles at all .

the program series is about Ewan mcgregor ... the motorcycles and countries are merely a backdrop to showcase this extremely self-centered individual with an exaggerated sense of self-importance : marked by characteristics of excessive admiration and infatuation with himself.

Can’t disagree with any of that.

But most tv is mind numbing anaesthetic so with that in (or out :lol:) of mind I’d prefer the “varying degrees of entertainment value” to be higher rather than lower in sound n film quality - as with the generally low you tube style.

A prancing self preening monkey doing a jig in front of a camera is what we generally pay for. So dance monkeys dance, make my mobike tv viewing fun and earn your coin 🤩

I don't know why anyone makes television programs about motorcycles at all . There are probably millions of hours of material on YouTube that cover every possible aspect of the hobby from as*holes falling off Sportsbikes trying to do stunts to meticulous classic restorations . There's not much of the world's road network that hasn't been filmed from behind a pair of handlebars while someone wibbles on about it with varying degrees of entertainment value . Every possible mechanical operation or repair on every bike imaginable is available to view and every bike past and present is given multiple reviews . But by far the best thing about YouTube is that it is made by US , the Bikers of the world and it's not dumbed down or spiced up to capture maximum ratings .

If anything we need more adverts promoting motorcycles as the future of personal transport, let's face it unless you already have an interest the regular public are pretty much blinkered and uneducated when it comes to the positive side of riding a powered two wheeler, if there was even one advert during prime time tv promoting the benefits of using a powered two wheeler things would look a lot brighter, yes there are those that demonstrate the stupid side but they are a minority, which should be highlighted and made aware that bikers in general do not approve or condone this mentality, but like everything else it's our stupid government that is mainly to blame, and during this pandemic has been the perfect time to show how the powers that be have no interest in motorcycling, every single speech made about transport has covered cars, push bikes, walking and public transport but not one single mention promoting powered two wheelers as being an option during the pandemic as a logical choice for commuting :evil: :cheers:

so how do you feel about that Bob :lol:

I couldn't give a shit . At least they didn't trot out the old " Sportsters are chicks bikes " bullshit .

I’m enjoying watching it, but the pair of them are a bit characterless. It always feels like they’re forcing themselves to think “How would a normal person respond to this”, and then do that thing. Just doesn’t work.

And the bikes - going everywhere at 50mph with a soulless, quiet turbine whine? If that’s the future then I don’t want any part of it.

But as I say, I’m enjoying it. :lol:

I’m enjoying watching it, but the pair of them are a bit characterless. It always feels like they’re forcing themselves to think “How would a normal person respond to this”, and then do that thing. Just doesn’t work.

And the bikes - going everywhere at 50mph with a soulless, quiet turbine whine? If that’s the future then I don’t want any part of it.

Characterless is an interesting choice of phrase to describe two actors who are , presumably , not acting .

Characterless is an interesting choice of phrase to describe two actors who are , presumably , not acting .

I chose the word for a reason. :wink:

McGregor’s faux declarations of affection for the other one, their fourth-rate ‘banter’ - hell, the dog humping McGregor’s leg was funnier than anything the pair of them have ever said...all set to the backdrop of ‘Say what you see’ Charlie.

Without being a pale imitation of Obi Wan Kenobi we’d never have heard of him again. And without being a so-called ‘friend’ (come on, does anybody actually believe these two share anything other than an inflated ego?), no one would know who the flip Boreman is. Bore man? Heh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished it. The exclamations of “it’s amazing” get a bit tiring when they don’t seem genuine and look like they’re acting it rather than feeling it but then what can you expect from two jaded middle aged men who’ve seen it all before. 
McGregor singing and playing his acoustic just annoyed me as he clearly thinks he’s the dogs and no offence to anyone here with similar bad taste but when men get to their 50’s they should give up wearing skinny jeans- you’re never gonna look youthful or be ‘down with the kids’ again. But actors ay you’ve got to expect some vanity.
Boreman on the other hand is just a man trying to make a living who does really loves motorbikes and inspite of not being the sharpest tool seems a nice enough guy who has a famous friend who can bolster his income, fair enough.

The electric bikes I think were the wrong choice for the trip because they restricted where they could go but the right choice because it gave them something to dramatise. I heard Claudio (the cameraman) doing an interview and he said it was good he had an petrol bike because he could easily go ahead to set up a shot where as the two on electric bikes had to be very careful with their speed limiting it to 50-60mph max due to it draining the battery too quickly, how boring  constantly monitoring your battery drain and not being free to go where you want to go. 
Pretty far from adventure style motorcycling and far more a long road trip on established routes. Not that I’m at all anti that it’s just quite far from the original format. I suspect that has to do with age and broken plated bones plus having to plug in at least once a day.

The little toddler girl from the orphanage in the first ‘long way’ turning up in this one all grown up was a really nice touch. 

I loved the bus they knocked up.

Claudio Von Planta’s drone camera work was really superb and I now definitely NEED to have a go with one. 

Edited by Slowlycatchymonkey