MOD1 MOD2 ON MY OWN BIKE

Guest Hellbuh

Hi i have passed my cbt and theory test and want to do my mod 1-2 on my own bike. I am having trouble getting insurance on my xj 600 to do my test on any advice would be great thanks.

Hi i have passed my cbt and theory test and want to do my mod 1-2 on my own bike. I am having trouble getting insurance on my xj 600 to do my test on any advice would be great thanks.

Am I understanding this correctly? You are intending to take the tests on a bike that you are unable to ride on the public road (legally) and so will have had NO practice on it whatsoever?

Can you add your location, and if it's anywhere near Kent add the dates you will be on the road please? Thank you :lol:

Back to your question, I doubt you will find anyone willing to insure it on that basis, bicbw (it happens)

Ha ha have been riding motorbikes since iwas 5 and had a 125 on the road for 3 years riding a big bike isn't the problem its not knowing how 2 go about being legal 2 do the tests people have done the tests on there own bikes just need 2 know how

I think revs recently did mod1 and mod2 on her own bike!

the instructor picked her up from home I think

so it is possible.

Sue uses her own 125 for her lessons.

much simpler just to use the training school's bike though!

I'm not sure what the insurance situation is!

Sue can't insure her 600 because she hasn't passed test

I had to register/insure it as my 2nd bike

Go with a motorcycle school mate, much less hassle. It will probably cost you the same in insurance and mates riding the bike to the test centre or van hire etc.

I only found one place that would insure me for fire & theft (laid up) before I passed my Mod2 - Footman James. Most places were very arsey about this and wouldn't quote.

God knows who insures learners on big bikes for road/test use?

Thanks for the replys yes im old enough and have a van to get bike to test centers. I have had some insurance companys say they will insure me but they are saying that because i havnt done the full bike test that they will give me 45 days to pass me test but in that time i cant use the bike not alot of good. Im not going to be riding around on it just need to do mod1 and 2 on it local test center is going to charge 550 to do das and that means more time off work just want to do the 2 tests :?

Hellbuh,

One of my mates had been riing a long time and just needed the tests. If you ring up the instructors/learning place you choose they will probably let you rent a bike for the hour of the test and escourt you down and give u a 20 minute brief warm up etc...Think my frind payed £120 to do that and the test, so it would be a bit cheaper than doing the whole DAS

• 6 years later...

Here:

https://www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk/help/can-you-insure-me-before-i-take-my-full-bike-test

they say they insure you for the test. Plus I found this on gov.uk website:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-test-cost

which shows:

Module 1 motorcycle test (off-road) £15.5

Module 2 motorcycle test (on-road) £75

I thought it was wrong but how can it be, it's on gov.uk site, so it must be true. All those schools may be taking advantage, putting prices from 500 to 1.000 plus.

All you need then is a Van to take the bike to and from.

Anyone actually have more information about this, and not just "do the conventional thing mate, less hassle" excuse.

I reckon the OP has passed by now 😉

The mod 1 is less the issue, it’d be having insurance cover for your own bike on road for mod 2. That is why most do this under the banner of a training schools insurance.

Here:

https://www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk/help/can-you-insure-me-before-i-take-my-full-bike-test

they say they insure you for the test.

All those schools may be taking advantage, putting prices from 500 to 1.000 plus.

Interesting find. But it's a shame you didn't actually read to the end of the first sentence!!

Yes. We provide on road cover for up to 14 days before your full bike test, provided that you are under professional tuition.

Now, just pause for a moment and think about what that actually means.

I don't get why people think schools are out to rip people off, most schools have slots booked for tests, they don't charge extra for tests, if your good enough they will happily book you in for a 2hr slot for a quick lesson and then the test and it won't cost 600

How do folks think that's going to be more expensive than trying to insure yourself, they are a business and not a ref charity.

My school pushed me to be passed my test and out there doors as quickly as possible.

Here:

which shows:

I thought it was wrong but how can it be, it's on gov.uk site, so it must be true. All those schools may be taking advantage, putting prices from 500 to 1.000 plus.

Anyone actually have more information about this, and not just "do the conventional thing mate, less hassle" excuse.

They only insure it if you’re under a professional instructor you balloon.

I don't get why people think schools are out to rip people off, most schools have slots booked for tests, they don't charge extra for tests, if your good enough they will happily book you in for a 2hr slot for a quick lesson and then the test and it won't cost 600

How do folks think that's going to be more expensive than trying to insure yourself, they are a business and not a ref charity.

My school pushed me to be passed my test and out there doors as quickly as possible.

Because kids these days want everything for nothing. It amazes me the attitudes of those just 10 years younger than me. Self entitled most of them and scared of work.

I don't have a van. Which means I'd have to hire one. Which with fuel is probably going to be 100 quid. Then i imagine that einsurance is probably going to be another 100 minimum because insurance is a rip off. Then tests are 90.5

At this rate my "rip off training" is only costing 200 quid and I'm going to get actual help passing these tests (first time 2 minors on each)

Here:

which shows:

Do it then.....and let us know how you get on..... :wink:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2018 at 10:26, Tango said:

Do it then.....and let us know how you get on..... :wink:

My nephew did today on his 125 😀
Without a lesson sadly he failed because he didn’t do a shoulder check before his U turn £15 lost no biggy.
He locked his rear wheel momentarily but as he released quickly and it was wet that was a minor.

Examiner congratulated him on not having noisy exhaust, the baffle had been refitted an hour earlier.  

• Like 1