WHY? Find answers to your most puzzling questions!!

All of us have those unanswered questions as we go through life... so lets take the opportunity to share these with other members who may just have the answer!!

So... my first question is this...

Why is it that when someone eats garlic... but you dont.... you can really smell it baaaaaad! But when you have had it also, you cant smell it at all?!?! Why?!

Please post replies or any questions of your own! :)

By eating the garlic all the particles that produce the aroma will get stuck in your airways thus 'conditioning' you to the smell.

I would compare it to a non smoker standing outside whilest someone else was having a cigarette, not being able to smell it on the person the same as someone who had not been outside when the cigarette was smoked.

why is orange jam called marmalade?

Because its different.... (and shit lol)

Thanks for the garlic advice though... will always make sure I have some when others in this house do!!

Because marmalade is generally made of a combination of things. The main ingriedient is oranges but marmalade can contain any combination of sweet oranges, mandarins, lemons, limes, grapefruits etc. My gran makes killer jams of all kinds :)

What is it in birthday candles that makes them smell so damn good after they've just been blown out? (the smoke has a strange aroma)

Urban legend has it that in the olden days (even before you were a young lad, Akey ;) ) there was some posh French woman on a ship and she had seasickness. One of the lackeys shouted, "Ma'am et malade!" meaning, "madam is ill!" For some reason it was determined that 'marmalade' (until then, orange jam) was a great cure for seasickness and it adopted the name, "ma'am et malade" which if you say it out loud sounds a bit like marmalade.

And garlic, because you've eaten it, it's all in your nasal/oral cavity you're constantly exposed to it so your brain neutralises it and looks for other things to smell. You adapt very easily, like august says.

My turn:

Why do birds, suddenly appear, every time, you are near?

My turn:

Why do birds, suddenly appear, every time, you are near?

Just like me, they long to be, close to you!

Silly question.

My question.

Why is it whenever I have a few good days off, when I get back I have a really shit couple of days at work!

My question.

Why is it whenever I have a few good days off, when I get back I have a really shit couple of days at work!

Because work is always shit, and time off is rarely bad.... so when time off is good, it makes work seem extra shit.... either that or sods law.. :)

My question:

Why do I ALWAYS get a spot on my chin right before a night out or a party at mine (this weekend grrrrr)

and

Where did the term 'sods law' come from?

The question hasn't been asked but an interesting fact.

We drive on the right side of the road, it originated from the days of horseback, you rode on the left so as to have your sword hand (majority right handed) facing any potential attackers.

Napoleon changed it to the right as he was left handed.

My question.

Because work is always shit, and time off is rarely bad.... so when time off is good, it makes work seem extra shit.... either that or sods law.. :)

My question:

Why do I ALWAYS get a spot on my chin right before a night out or a party at mine (this weekend grrrrr)

and

Only thing I can find about sod's law is that it could be a derivative of 'God's law' - retribution for doing something wrong.

My question: Why is it that weeds grow all the time without any TLC but you have to look after plants, water them, feed them etc???

Who put the bomp

In the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?

Who put the ram

In the rama lama ding dong?

Who put the bop

In the bop shoo bop shoo bop?

Who put the dip

In the dip da dip da dip?

My question.

My question:

and

Its Trevor coming back to say hello (the spot that is)

My question.

My question:

and

Only thing I can find about sod's law is that it could be a derivative of 'God's law' - retribution for doing something wrong.

My question: Why is it that weeds grow all the time without any TLC but you have to look after plants, water them, feed them etc???

Because plants are not in their natural habbitat and if left to nature would fail to grow in many soils/climates because they are weaker than other plants (weeds) and are often not indiginous. After all a weed is just an unwanted plant of the natural habbitat.

why is it the bigger the animal is the smaller its prey?

you go from small animals that eat more than their own body weight and kill animals bigger than them to a blue whale that eats crill.

How does Teflon stick to the frying pan?

First they sandblast the pan to create a lot of microscratches on its surface. Then they spray on a coat of Teflon primer. This primer, like most primers, is thin, enabling it to flow into the the micro-scratches. The primed surface is then baked at high heat, causing the Teflon to solidify and get a reasonably secure mechanical grip. Next you spray on a finish coat and bake that. (The Teflon finish coat will stick to the Teflon primer coat just fine

:mrgreen:

How do you get a nail stuck in your tyre? How does it balance on its head ready to stick into the rubber?

it doesn't. as the tyre rolls over the nail it flicks it up onto its head which then points nicely towards the tyre and hey presto. think of it like the classic comedy scene where someone stands on a rake and gets hit in the face with the handle :lol: