XJ900S Diversion

Mawsley

Model: 1997 XJ900S Diversion

Date of purchase: June 2010

Mileage then: 22,000ish

Mileage now: 31,000ish

Paid: £1,150 (which included the full luggage and a tank cover for a clip-on tank bag)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y625j9uagyk/TFKsCmERS1I/AAAAAAAABpM/32sCjnmdR4c/s400/IMG_0061.JPG

To quote Jarvis Cocker - do you remember the first time? My first "big" bike was an 1992 XJ900F, I bought it in 1996 after I quickly outgrew the 600 Diversion. It was a pondering, shaft-driven lump which was more than a bit rubbish...but I simply loved the simplicity of having a shaft.

The '97 XJ in the picture is my third and current one and I guess this pretty much addresses whether or not I'd have another one. The trouble is that this will probably be my final one seeing as Yamaha in all their stupid wisdom stopped making them.

Why the flip did I buy it on eBay without having viewed it? I wanted something to ride in cruddy weather and keep my ex-Electraglide in pristine nick and I wanted it to be as reliable as. And I wanted a maintenance-free shaft.

Cosmetics weren't important to me and the engine itself is bombproof, regular oil changes will see them through to 100K+ with some requiring a bit of fettling around 50K.

It's pacy enough and on good tyres will hold the road like it's on rails. With luggage, it'll go travelling or bring home the shopping in real comfort. The bike can cover 800 miles in a hit and left me feeling fine, the tank running for around 180 miles between fills and hitting the mid to upper 40s for consumption.

So what's bad about it?

It's like an ocean liner: it's tall and long and carries Bella Emburg's weight. The wife is scared of it because she needs tippy toes but my feet remain planted on the floor. Wheeling the thing about can catch you out when gravity strikes, it doesn't take much to misjudge the centre of gravity.

And it's a Yamaha from a different century - daily care is needed to prevent it looking crappy...but I found a different approach!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263329_10150235036666916_507941915_7757061_2864978_n.jpg

Forgot to say that it came with every scrap of paper ever related to the bike.

I've seen cracking low mileage ones go for £8-950 on eBay so don't pay the ridiculous money dealers ask for, it simply isn't worth it.

If you get offered one, regardless of year, with less than 30K on the clock for less than a grand say 'thank you very much' and buy an old work-horse.

It doesn't do anything spectacularly - it just does everything you need it to very well. :D

• 1 year later...

Bike:Yamaha xj900s Diversion

Mileage:41000ish

Year:1996

Colour:White

Purchased her in March 2013 and really love this bike handles very well,tank range excellent. Paid £900 for her with 38500 miles on the clock and use her every day. There is a massive difference to the 600 Diversion I had not least in size and weight which can catch you out. Did a tour on her in May to the Yorkshire Dales then back through the Lake District and handled everything that those roads threw at her. Just treated her to a full service and next week two new tyres, I really can't praise this bike enough if your looking for a good all rounder grab one. I look forward every day to getting on her and riding, doing France next July on and it can't come soon enough.

• 3 years later...

It's now a slightly different colour from the original post.

IMG_2410.jpg

At six years, it's taken the garage record as no other bike has lasted more than two. I didn't realise it'd been with me this long and I'm genuinely surprised how well it's stood up to the ravages of time. It's just tipped over 32K and heading for some fettling, new bearings, better suspension and a makeover (if I get my arse into gear).

The new pipe has liberated the midrange a treat and the panniers are still working well, even if the top box now needs a bungy to keep it closed.

I remain perplexed why this machine never got more love in the bike community or why Yamaha cancelled its production so early.

• 2 years later...

This bike is truly a revelation.

I came to it from a triumph trident 900 that was uncomfortable and slightly unreliable. The triumph definitely had more power but I don't miss it, riding the triumph quickly became a chore, when pushed with a little effort the xj900 provides ample power and smiles in abundance and riding it is never a chore.

There is enough power to ride spirited with two up and the laughter and shrieks of enjoyment from the rear seat tell me that this bike makes biking the fun it should be for pillions as well as for me.

This bike gives me reliability economy comfort and pleasure. Sure it is not the fastest but it has useable power and you can ride it all day and get off it wreathed in smiles. It lives up to all my expectations and delivers more than I had hoped for.

power vgood

brakes vgood

suspension vgood

comfort vgood

economy vgood

reliability vgood

It hits all targets with bullseyes

(lets not mention that it is an exceedingly heavy and easily dropped hunk of metal but if you throw yourself under it as it goes down you can cushion its fall) :D

A truly great bike, now if only it wasn't quite so vibey......