Helmet leak

Guest jg1981

I have just become a full time biker commuting 100 miles a day. During the recent heavy rain my visor leaked a little. I wiped the outside and I still had droplets on the inside, I also wear glasses and a few drops were on them too. I have a waterproof/windproof neck protector so that should have stopped water coming in from the underside of my helmet, my visor was also closed but still water leaked in.

Any suggestions on products to stop this or what I should do?

Hi there and welcome to the motorbike forum - why not introduce yourself in the Newbies section? :)

Maybe some details of what make/model helmet you have would be helpful - others might have had and resolved similar issues :)

I have a BOX helmet.

Close the lid and used Browm tape to seal the lid. That should sort it

Either that or a new helmet. Box lids are budget lids they are good for the purpose but if your doing 100 miles a day you might want to get something better.

I'm not saying you have to spend a fortune on a Arai BTW.

ive had two caberg helmets both leaked i thought the first one was because it was a flip front helmet but i bought a full face one and that one does too, i think it may have something to do with the sun visor mechanism. has anyone else notice this with caberg ones?

ive had two caberg helmets both leaked i thought the first one was because it was a flip front helmet but i bought a full face one and that one does too, i think it may have something to do with the sun visor mechanism. has anyone else notice this with caberg ones?

Silicone around the rubber touching the visor.

The rubber dries and flattens allowing ingress.

I feel I deserve it for being a tight wad and not replacing my Shoei.

I have just become a full time biker commuting 100 miles a day. During the recent heavy rain my visor leaked a little. I wiped the outside and I still had droplets on the inside, I also wear glasses and a few drops were on them too. I have a waterproof/windproof neck protector so that should have stopped water coming in from the underside of my helmet, my visor was also closed but still water leaked in.

Any suggestions on products to stop this or what I should do?

Try adjusting the visor, make it tighter, look for the manual if you still have it and tighten everything up.

Might be a simple solution, did you have any vents open????

If I leave some of my vents open then water gets inside that way and collects as drops on the inside of the visor.

Also have a look at the visor, you should see where the rubber seal from the helmet touches the visor all the way round, if not adjust the visor so it does.

:cheers:

Silicone around the rubber touching the visor.

The rubber dries and flattens allowing ingress.

I feel I deserve it for being a tight wad and not replacing my Shoei.

When you get a helmet serviced this is what they use. I would just do an internet search for silicon grease, or if you are a cheapskate you could try a little KY jelly, on your helmet I mean :oops: maybe around the bit that you move up and down! :oops: I mean around the edge of the hole :oops:

Just buy some silicon grease its less embarssing!

TnT

I'd probably go to the doctors if my helmet was leaking, rather than posting about it on a motorcycle forum :?

:stupid:

thank god for that this was going on far too long without a helmet joke

Love it! Too true...

Seriously though a more expensive lid is prob the way forward. Having said that my shark lid (cost £170) leaks (a tiny bit) if i am going 80MPH and look to the side to clear the visor. Does noit leak a lot but a tiny bit of rain comes through. I am buying Scorpion lid in the next 2 months which costs £300 and is all round a better lid.

If you are riding every day invest in a lid mate.

Stu