Breast feeding in public

techno

Came across this post on another forum

Tube journey this afternoon:

Abut 8 stops, not too long, train's at about 70% capacity. Woman gets on train with a pushchair. Man at the end of the seating row stands up to let her sit, so she can supervise her baby in the pram. she sits down, but instead of putting the pram in the designated area, she puts it in the middle of the aisle. Strike one.

Pulls kid out of the pram, and shoves all her bags in it.

Flops out tit, starts breastfeeding kid in the middle of a fcuking tube train. Strike two.

Next stop, the (obviously uncomfortable) people sitting next to her stand up and move to another carriage. What does she do? Grab the bags out of the pram and use them to occupy the next two seats next to her. Strike three.

At this point I'm fcuking fuming. I grab a piece of paper out my bag, scribble this on it:

"Congratulations, you have just won a lifetime achievement award. MOST INCONSIDERATE BITCH EVER"

I hand it to her as I'm getting off the train.

Now, what's wrong with this?

1: I hate seeing people breastfeed in public. Just can't stand it. If I wanna see titties, I'll find them, no need to flop them out on a public transport system so that everyone has to see it.

2: If you can't afford the basic necessity of proper transport, then don't have kids.

3: If you're going to inconvenience all the working people and tourists around you, then try keep it to a minimum. There's absolutely no need to clog up the walkway, and occupy three seats at the same time.

Bitch.

Now i can understand the inconsiderate bit but do people really have a problem with women breastfeeding?

I mean someones friend did it on our stand at the hull show!

Think the only problem i ever have with it is when the child looks too old to still need it..

Similar to kids in prams who are clearly too old to need pushing about (Saw a lad the other day who must have been about 6 still squished in :shock: )

A young mother was asked to leave a pub up this way after she breast fed her child, it was all over the news. It's looking like she's gonna get an out of court settlement under some discrimination law.

I have a few female friends who breast feed their kids, they've all told me about times they've been made to feel uncomfortable for what is essentially the most natural thing in the world.

Seems to me he just needs to lighten up a little bit.

I'm surprised that in this day and age anyone feels offended, but I think it should be done discretely! Sounds like the problem was more the girl's inconsideration for everyone around her rather than the breast feeding per se. I used to do it with mine but it was always well covered up and only if unavoidable!

I strongly encourage women to practise getting their norks out prior to having children. Or at least, I used to until the court order banned me from continuing.

Ha! Norks, I haven't heard them called that since primary school.

Seriously though, some people just need to chill a bit. Maybe the guy was just jealous.

the guy has a valid point up when it comes to the pushchair and putting her bags at the side so no one can sit there.

but there is nothing wrong with breast feeding in public and maybe the problem is he aint getting any and was pissed at the baby for getting more breast in 1 day then he gets in 10 years

if there young get it out but if there old think of the children even a baby wants a nice young breast

Do it discretely and its all good :thumb:

Its natural, but then again according to sex ed so is w**king so there are just some invisible boundaries people have. I dont care, ive seen my mum do it to my younger brother and sister as they grew up. And Ive seen other women do it when not at home, if they do it sensibly then there isnt a problem. A lot do it in a toilet or a secluded spot as it involves partial nudity, which is frowned upon so I see why people have problems with it.

But theres no way to set the bar on this one as imagine the outcry if restrictions were imposed!

My only gripe with breastfeeding is when I went to visit my recently born son Liam (2 weeks on monday) in the neo-natal unit of the local hospital, I went to get a coffee for me and my partner, and ended up walking back to the curtain being drawn. Due to overcrowding there are at two babies to one bay at the moment, I don't blame anyone for this, they can't help a large number of babies being born at the moment. What I do have a problem with is having to wait outside in the waiting area because the woman who shared our bay decided to breastfeed, I don't want to look at your breasts, but I don't want to be denied access to my child because you want to feed your child in a shared bay.

What a big man..."i wrote her a rude note and gave it to her as i got off the tube". Wow, thats really taking the high moral ground!

Ah, but the writing of the note and the giving her one may be spearate actions........ :shock:

The bloke on the tube sounds like....a tube!

It is rude and inconsiderate to occupy seats on crowded public transport and leave stuff in aisles, but to get on his high horse in such a vicious manner is a bit extreme.

Also what struck me is the way he described the woman, it seems he has absolutely no respect for women.

And was he not on public transport too? What was with slagging her off for riding on the tube? Isn't it what it's there for?

Anyway, I have no problem with breastfeeding in public and think that mothers shouldn't be made to feel as though they are doing something wrong or offensive.

If you don't like it - don't bloody watch! I'm sure any woman breastfeeding doesn't want to be stared at, and the few i've seen feeding in public do so in a very calm, no fuss manner. Long may they continue.

Fozzie - theres a huge difference between breastfeeding and w@nking lol, how can you compare!

Breastfeeding is a baby having its dinner, simple ..... the people who dont like it should just move :) I promote breastfeeding and would happily challenge anyone who has a problem with it :)

Fozzie - theres a huge difference between breastfeeding and w@nking lol, how can you compare!

Breastfeeding is a baby having its dinner, simple ..... the people who dont like it should just move :) I promote breastfeeding and would happily challenge anyone who has a problem with it :)

:lol: the only comparison I can make is that it involves getting out a body part that is socially unacceptable to get out in public!

I dont think there is a problem with breast feeding, just a crowded area isnt the place really as i cant imagine its comfortable for the woman who has to get her breast out in front of all those people and its not comfortable for anyone else watching.

In cases like the train, that was inconsiderate though the bloke who wrote the note sounds like an arse. It isnt normally a problem, i cant remember the last time I saw it in public so discretion is being used on the most part I suspect which is a good thing as its showing consideration. :)