VFR 800 V-Tec

Devans

What model was it?

03 Honda VFR 800 V-TEC

When did you buy it and how much did it cost?

My first proper bike, bought after i passed my test in 2010.

Good points?

Honda reliability.

Honda quality.

Full OEM luggage option.

Very good riding position. I can do 300miles and get off fresh, at 500miles i start to feel tired. Have done 900miles back from switzerland in one go though, body was fine but mentally tired(wouldn't recommend doing over 500 for safety)

Big 22litre fuel tank, i've got up to 210miles out of a tank, i get 170-180 weekly riding to work though.

V4 engine turns a Honda into a bike with character.

Engine is great at high or low rpm.

V-TEC rules! Hitting v-tec in 3rd gear at 80 is like a rocket boost, 80-130 in seconds.

Great fairing.

Brakes, they're combined so there's little brake dive and great stopping power as it runs 6pots all round! Bought synthetic pads and they've lasted 15k so far! combined brakes alongside engine braking means very little wear even if you haul full laden.

Bad points?

Expensive servicing at 16k (my bikes at 30k and not had the valve check)

Heavy but in fairness it's super stable.

If you give it beans it drinks fuel, 22litres in 120miles for example. (Ducati ain't even that bad)

Handling, a superbike will leave the vfr in the tight bends.

Poor suspension when you give it beans.

Would you get another?

Yes but the bike is built to do 100k

Any other comments?

30k pretty much trouble free miles. Had a cam chain tensioner go at around 26k miles, fixed for 130quid.

The bike kept blowing a fuse at around 15k which would take out all the electronics on the dash meaning no Fuel gauge,RPM etc. Was a short circuit in the rear light cluster with some water. Fixed in 2minutes.

Bike has seen 2 winters and gets used in all weathers daily for work. Aside from the front end looking weather worn like al bikes do, i'm confident i could ride Europe with no issues except the usual things like break pads tyres etc.

I've been to Scotland 3 times now as well and france/switzerland 2 up. bike never missed a beat.

Shame someone knocked it over a few weeks ago. Started first time though. just looks like a shed.

230710_10150190799957206_6055635_n.jpg