Module 1 - members test experiences

I did the Mod 1 yesterday and failed because I was 1 km/h too slow on the avoidance test. Apparently the minimum is 50 but they allow 48 and I manged just 47. I now have to pay another £130 to the training company to hire their 600 cc bike and have a four hour session with an instructor to accompany me to the DSA site. So 1 km/h is costing me £130 and I'm not impressed that civil servants can impose that on us.

If I don't pass the 2nd time I can't afford another £130 to try it a 3rd time so am going to have to ditch the training company and have my 3rd attempt on my CBF125 and once the Mod 2 is passed take the restriction for 2 years once I eventually get a full licence.

That's preferable to forking out over a £100 every time things don't go my way.

Another £130 :o thats really steep, where abouts are you based/taking the test?

When i did mine i had to pay for the days training, and then every retest after that was £60.

If they are charging £130 for module 1 then i would definetly clarify what the cost of module 2 would be as if you cant afford another 130 i imagine that would be even more.

2 years isnt that long in the scheme of things to ride restricted, i found really useful before taking the test to make sure i knew the sound/pitch when up to 30ish in gear 2 of the bike. I practiced this on the training centres bike at least 3 times on the road near the test site, then in my actual test on the controlled stop i went through a little slower, asked the guy the speed and that helped me mentally prepare for emergency stop.

Did you not get a second attempt on the avoidance? I did exactly the same as you, 47 on the first attempt but they let me do it again and did 51, but it did count as a minor.

Did you not get a second attempt on the avoidance? I did exactly the same as you, 47 on the first attempt but they let me do it again and did 51, but it did count as a minor.

you should get a second attempt, i think from what i read that doesnt apply if you already did the emergency stop too slow.

i agree

Another £130 :o thats really steep, where abouts are you based/taking the test?

When i did mine i had to pay for the days training, and then every retest after that was £60.

If they are charging £130 for module 1 then i would definitely clarify what the cost of module 2 would be as if you cant afford another 130 i imagine that would be even more.

2 years isnt that long in the scheme of things to ride restricted, i found really useful before taking the test to make sure i knew the sound/pitch when up to 30ish in gear 2 of the bike. I practiced this on the training centres bike at least 3 times on the road near the test site, then in my actual test on the controlled stop i went through a little slower, asked the guy the speed and that helped me mentally prepare for emergency stop.

It's in Cambridge. £15.50 for the test, £12.00 collision damage waiver £107 for the minimum 4 hour session because I need to hire the 600cc from them plus have one of their instructors accompany me to the test centre presumably because I can't ride the 600cc on a road without them. It seems the cost of the sessions with your instructors are a lot less than mine. Just over £130 at £134.50 all together.

I've already paid for the Mod 2 (I paid upfront for both tests) so I'm not worried about that. But if I don't pass the Mod 1 next week then it's a 125cc for both tests after that for me.

Unfortunately that was my second attempt. My mind went blank the first time and I drove straight on after the speed trap and forgot what I was supposed to do. I did manage 50 km/h that time ironically. That was my nerves playing up. It's been many years since I've had to do a test that bears any resemblance to that test.

£134 :-o

I paid £15.50 for my test and £105 for a 9 hour lesson, start at 8am, mod 1 training untill 10:20 when I booked my mod 1, then mod 2 training the rest of the day. it seems some people know how to charge huh.

£134 :-o

I paid £15.50 for my test and £105 for a 9 hour lesson, start at 8am, mod 1 training untill 10:20 when I booked my mod 1, then mod 2 training the rest of the day. it seems some people know how to charge huh.

That's what we get in this part of the country. Rip off Britain is only half the story.

£105 is a good price for 9 hours. Where I go it's £107 for 4 hours :x

Sounds expensive, but it's not really that bad. I'm paying £85 for a 3 hour lesson, which I'll be having two of. Then there's the hire of the bike for the test day which will probably be a couple of hours (bit of training, getting there and back), plus the test fee.

Lessons £85 x 2 = £170

Test Fee £15.50

Bike hire £57 ish

= £242.50

The mod 2 will be a similar sketch, but the test fee is more expensive @ £75 so that'll be more like £300 to pass the mod 2

Then there's the CBT, and the theory to take into account so overall you'll be paying about 6-700 average to get a full licence through direct access which I believe is very much the average price.

You've got to bear in mind though that you've got a full two years to complete everything in (if not it's CBT again and theory again) so you've plenty of time to spread things out a bit if you're a bit hard up for getting through it all.

My instructor seems the cheapest so far, £105 for a 9 hour lesson! That's based in carterton, black bourton, abingdon and surrounding areas tho, I only love in wolves 3 or 4 days a week. He's a one man band I guess that keeps prices keen, good instructor too.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my mod1 with a mate btw and he got a clean sheet but I got one minor mark for doing my swerve test at 49kph :? I have to say mod one is kinda easy, only issue could be a foot down on the u turn, it could happen to the best of learners on an off day.

My mate did his mod two Thursday with no minor marks too, I have the pressure on for mine on the 16th now lmao.

My instructor seems the cheapest so far, £105 for a 9 hour lesson! That's based in carterton, black bourton, abingdon and surrounding areas tho, I only love in wolves 3 or 4 days a week. He's a one man band I guess that keeps prices keen, good instructor too.

You at Brize working shifts?

That is cheap as well, I decided to take my test just after moving out of Cartoon Town and it was a lot more than that!

Other way around, I work in brum and live in carterton (well black bourton) the rest of the week. I work as a spark and build engines for track cars but the engine building has gone quiet this year tbh.

• 4 weeks later...
I did the Mod 1 yesterday and failed because I was 1 km/h too slow on the avoidance test. Apparently the minimum is 50 but they allow 48 and I manged just 47. I now have to pay another £130 to the training company to hire their 600 cc bike and have a four hour session with an instructor to accompany me to the DSA site. So 1 km/h is costing me £130 and I'm not impressed that civil servants can impose that on us.

If I don't pass the 2nd time I can't afford another £130 to try it a 3rd time so am going to have to ditch the training company and have my 3rd attempt on my CBF125 and once the Mod 2 is passed take the restriction for 2 years once I eventually get a full licence.

That's preferable to forking out over a £100 every time things don't go my way.

I'm :( in the same boat,take my mod 1 on Monday and can't afford to fail otherwise its CBR125 and two years restricted

I'm :( in the same boat,take my mod 1 on Monday and can't afford to fail otherwise its CBR125 and two years restricted

Good luck for tomorrow Levante

Thanks mate,passed mod 1 with a clean sheet,strangely enjoyed it,I'd like to thank everyone on here for the tips/advise,particularly taking your time and taking deep breaths,really worked.One thing I did do which may be of use to people,I placed a little red mark over the 32 mph indicator in red marker,really helped me judge my speed on the avoidance / em stop.Mod 2 brought forward to Thu so fingers crossed :angel12:

Thanks everyone,failed mod 2 yesterday,absolutely gutted.Examiner put me off on independent ride,failed because I'd already committed to coming off roundabouts whilst turning right before completing my life saver.Back to the drawing board,didn't realise I was doing anything wrong as lesson before hand was fine.Next test in two weeks,any advice welcome :crybaby: