BMW R1200R

GingerCat

I bought this bike after trading in a trusty Diversion 900. The old Divvy which I'd owned since new needed some work on the brakes or steering bearing as it was very scary in wet weather. I thought the Beemer would be a good substitute. After having a test ride on an RT1200, just to see what the engine felt like, I was impressed enough to sign on the dotted line. I was very excited to get the bike and I ordered most of the extras

BMW panniers and top box

Heated hand grips

Alarm

small screen

Electronic suspension adjustment

Low seat

The ride is wonderful, it just wafts along because of the telelever front suspension and there is no fork dipping like on a regular bike. I like the fact that the suspension can be adjusted from a switch on the bars, this is so convenient compared to my old Divvy, where a C spanner had to be used. It handles extremely well for such a big bike. The motor is very flexible and torquey and pulls well, however it's not the fastest bike out there and not as fast as my Divvy which ate the miles in a smooth and carefree way. But I didn't buy it to ride it like a sports bike, as I have a Street Triple if I want to go out and be silly. The Beemer is happiest cruising at 80-90 miles an hour. It tours well 2 up and fully loaded and feels like it will run forever. The indicator switches take some getting used to. It has one on both sides of the bars then another switch to turn them off. I much prefer one switch like all other bikes.

It hasn't been all good however. Two issues have slightly marred ownership. The first was that it had a misfire right from new but this was down to an electrical problem and was fixed at the first 1000kms service. The second issue, which is well known amongst Beemer owners is the famous fuel strip sensor failure. This item causes the fuel gauge to show empty and the fuel low light to remain on. This was fixed under warranty and the replacement has been OK. The other complaint is that the passenger portion of the low seat is extremely uncomfortable, so bad in fact that I had to order the extra comfy seat to replace it (another 500 Euros). The padding and shape of the low seat is bad, but with the other seat its now OK. The comfy seat is higher and I'm on tip toes to reach the floor, whereas the low seat was the perfect height for me. Oh well its all compromises. I like the bike and I do intend to keep it for a while, especially now everything is sorted on it.

Hope this review was a bit useful for potential owners of this bike

• 5 years later...

I've been riding one for a few months now. I haven't had many bikes (it's only my second, I currently still have both) , so I can't compare it to anything else, but it has been faultless thus far as a winter commuter.

The two major flaws are, I absolutely agree,

1. The indicator buttons are utterly bizarre, in that the cancel indicator button is right next to, and exactly the same shape as, the right indicator button, and with any kind of cold weather glove it is almost impossible to reliably cancel without actually looking at it, which is just, well, dangerous.

2. The fuel indicator strip is both odd and inaccurate.

It has black block, then a series of strips and another black block at the top, as a digital indication of the fuel level. So full up, all are showing. The first black block goes down and then you are on the strips. So, the first time I ran out of petrol (and the bike just goes dead, no warning or ekeing it a few miles), I realised that the lower black digital block is there merely as decoration, and does not mean that there is that much fuel left. The second time I ran out, again a scary affair, there were still two strips showing, and 52 miles left on the range indicator.

Otherwise it's great.

• 2 months later...

.....just wait 'til the ABS pump fails......I had 2, a GS and an RT - both unreliable pieces of crap. Never again. BMWs are alright as long as they're in warranty.....then you're on yer own.

Then the electrical faults..?. Then the engine cases WILL corrode (especially the timing cover)..... :(

And Mr. Igloo's 8000 mile fork seal failure........ :cry:

• 2 years later...

Darn

Just stumbled across one for sale and I thought that looks ok,plus a BMW it will have good finish and be reliable 🤔

Darn

Just stumbled across one for sale and I thought that looks ok,plus a BMW it will have good finish and be reliable 🤔

[mention]RantMachine[/mention] might have a few things to say :lol:

Darn

@RantMachine might have a few things to say :lol:

I certainly could comment. But I think the forum automatically replaces a lot of the words I'd use.