Have you ever...hit an animal/been hit by an animal??

BikerMooFromMars

Hit a cat many years ago.......just stunned it I think....I stopped to go back and see if it was OK......but the coffin dodger that I'd just overtaken came trundling along and went straight over it.....didn't even see it......so I got back on the bike and went.....the old fella squished it good and proper.....no point in checking it out....... :shock:

So did the bike just go over it? I always thought you'd just come straight off if you hit anything bigger than a squirrel!

Poor kitty cat. And lol - not heard 'coffin dodger' for a while :lol:

Nah....I just clipped it......it ran across the road from under a parked car just as I approached.....no time to react....... :shock:

Hit a bird today (small one) - had to pick a few feathers out of my fly screen. Had one hit my leg a few years ago at about 70mph on the A1 which stung a bit

Clipped a cat years ago on a Honda CB100N at fairly low speed- think it was more annoyed than anything.

Oh em gee! Did it crap itself all over the screen? haha! Yeah I bet the 70mph one hurt a lot!

No, it just made a sort of 'ping' noise and bounced off.

from sheffield to cornwall, about 10 minute away from my destination a group of baby rabbits in the middle of the road, About 6 of them. Saw them in good time so moved over to the other side of the road, they panicked and darted everywhere!

One of them ran into my front wheel and smashed the mudguard up and knocked the speedo cable out.

So did you stomp on it, or what?

Judging by the other bizarre resonses, I'll bet that by 'put it down' he means he told the dog it was sh*t.

The dog shoulda put Zod down really :mrgreen: :booty:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :boxing: :hammer: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:

A dog - (cairn Terrier) - Killed outright - BMW-R90S - No damage to me/bike.

A cat - (furry moggie) - decapitated by the front wheel - Bandit 1250 - dropped bike and slight scuff marks only (both bike and me).

A Pheasant (kamikaze type - male) - Totally obliterated (at speed) - Bandit 1250 - blood / guts / feathers over the front of the frame & engine as well as all over my textiles from the waist down. Didn't half stink!

Narrowly missed a Roe deer in SE Wales last Autumn - How I missed it I have no idea but it was bl@@dy close!

:cheers:

Hit a pheasant, I was taking my sister on the back for the first time so I was going steady.. There's a back road that goes from Rivington to Chorley I was coming from Chorley.. It's the one that goes from the mini roundabout just before the lock and quay near Botany Bay, past "view point" and comes out on the road near the blue lagoon for anyone who knows the area, what with Rivington barn being a big biker hangout some of you may know it.

Anyway, there's a long winding uphill section, then a small chicane type corner, then the road rises towards a small crest, with a little tummy turning drop on the crest (if your going quick enough, which I wasn't; see earlier statement about sibling on pillion) as I come over the crest of this hill I see a massive fat gormless pheasant flying directly across my path. The thing came from my left hand side and hit my right hand shoulder, hard impact considering my speed. It hurt like hell, I pulled over with the intention of putting the thing out its misery if needed be (my grandads a farmer, it gets forced into you from an early age, by early age I mean being forced to shoot my rabbit at 10 years old because it had an abcess bigger than its head, numerous other pets have recieved the same treatment because a shotgun cartridge is a hell of a lot cheaper than a vet) and the thing had vanished.. No sign of it.. It was obviously a 'hard' pheasant. I hope it didnt suffer, and went back home with its story's of how it got in a fight with a human and won, impressed all the females and lived its days out as a stud.

Didnt half hurt though, massive bruise on my shoulder for about three weeks after that, all kinds of purple.

Ohh and there was that time I felt something hit my neck, about 5 minutes later and no other signs it had all but vanished to the back of my mind and I'm in Halfords looking at bulbs, I hear the unmistakable buzzing of a wasp. Too close for comfort, I start flapping and dancing about like I'm on some combination of mind bending drugs whilest simultaneously being wired up to the mains. Then I feel a sharp stinging sensation right under my chin in the soft spot of skin at the join of my jaw and throat.. Turns out the wasp had got tangled up in my buff neckwarmer, decided revenge was in fact a dish best served cold, and decided making me flail around like a pillock, and squeal like a girl on a Saturday afternoon in full view of the general public, in a Halfords that was busier than any other time I've ever experienced was the best course of action. Touché wasp, pain and embarrasment all in one go, the battle was won, but when I saw the little bast*rd fall to the ground and quickly ended its existence with a size 10, I won the war.

A dog - (cairn Terrier) - Killed outright - BMW-R90S - No damage to me/bike.

A cat - (furry moggie) - decapitated by the front wheel - Bandit 1250 - dropped bike and slight scuff marks only (both bike and me).

A Pheasant (kamikaze type - male) - Totally obliterated (at speed) - Bandit 1250 - blood / guts / feathers over the front of the frame & engine as well as all over my textiles from the waist down. Didn't half stink!

Narrowly missed a Roe deer in SE Wales last Autumn - How I missed it I have no idea but it was bl@@dy close!

:cheers:

BLIMEY!!!! :o

What a brilliantly written reply, muchly enjoyed - when's your next book out?! Freaking LOVED the wasp one in particular - felt like I was there reading it! HaHAHAHA! :lol:

.. It was obviously a 'hard' pheasant. I hope it didnt suffer, and went back home with its story's of how it got in a fight with a human and won, impressed all the females and lived its days out as a stud.

Ohh and there was that time I felt something hit my neck, about 5 minutes later and no other signs it had all but vanished to the back of my mind and I'm in Halfords looking at bulbs, I hear the unmistakable buzzing of a wasp. Too close for comfort, I start flapping and dancing about like I'm on some combination of mind bending drugs whilest simultaneously being wired up to the mains. Then I feel a sharp stinging sensation right under my chin in the soft spot of skin at the join of my jaw and throat.. Turns out the wasp had got tangled up in my buff neckwarmer, decided revenge was in fact a dish best served cold, and decided making me flail around like a pillock, and squeal like a girl on a Saturday afternoon in full view of the general public, in a Halfords that was busier than any other time I've ever experienced was the best course of action. Touché wasp, pain and embarrasment all in one go, the battle was won, but when I saw the little bast*rd fall to the ground and quickly ended its existence with a size 10, I won the war.

Not on the bike, but had a couple of near misses. Nearly been taken out by pheasants and pigeons flying at my head, and had to slam the anchors on for a badger when I was going...pretty quickly. :shock: In the car I have decapitated a young rabbit when after diving out of the way, it suddenly turned and darted back underneath the nearside front wheel. Couldn't avoid it.

Many years ago had a swan clip the handlebar end of my CX500 as I was leant over going from the M3 onto the M25 wobbled a bit but no damage.

Hit a baby deer/fox going up Telegraph Hill on the A38 just outside Exeter. Caused a £1000's worth of damage to my month old FJ1200, didn't come off but had a throbbing leg where it hit me then trashed the fairing. Lorry driver behind was amazed I stayed on.

At work we regularly clean birds and wildlife off the front of trains they lose a race with, feathers everywhere

I had a crow hit my hand on the bike (it really hurt!) and a bumble bee the size of a golf ball splattered across my visor, it might as well have been a golf ball the sound it made, and I had to stop to wipe off the remains as I couldn't see! I happened to be going round a sharp corner at the time too :shock: (I didn't stop on the corner though, just carried on a bit blind!). Had another near miss when a cat chased a rat into the road, it was inches from my front wheel when the cat caught it and ran back to the verge,

Scariest by far (I still shudder when I think about it) was when I was pillion on a friend's bike, we were going up the road when I saw this cloud of something ahead of us - we rode straight into a swarm of bees! :shock: :shock: . I ducked down behind my friend and they were pinging off his screen (thank God he had a large screen!!!!) - we had to pull over and strip off our clothes to make sure nothing had got in (well the top layers anyway lol).

Nothing as bad as some of these horror stories.

However I have had pigeon hit me. Maybe the animals where out for revenge. It flew into the side of my helmet.

An old mate of mine hit an old fella who jumped out of a car in front of him many years back......Threw my mate and his girlfriend off the bike....but killed the old fella.... :(

You have to picture this.....me on my Royal Enfield with my pregnant wife in the open sidecar...

We are trucking along at about 40mph when a Bee suddenly decides to share my helmet (no visor)..

Well thats me ... lets go of the bars and starts to try and rip helmet off whilst braking rapidly...

Luckily my good lady decides not to give birth at that very moment but suffice to say she was extremely unhappy with me...

Got helmet off, shook out Bee, and went on our merry way :stupid:

• 6 years later...

Hi there,

I have been reading info about this topic. I hit a pigeon yesterday between 80-90mph just above the visor. By the sounds of it I was bloody lucky! It was very painful and felt like getting punched in the face big time. sore neck in the morning. It’s a shoei helmet no visable damage although on impact the sunglasses bit came half way down into my eye line. At first sun glasses didn’t want to move on the switch so I just manually pushed them up. However I stopped and took the helmet off and when I put it back on they were fine. My question is there a place you can get shoei helmets x-rayed or should I be buying a new helmet? When I bought the helmet the salesmen said if I ever dropped it, it I should get a new one. He said as it damages the cement lining. Is this just salesman bullsh1t or should I be listening.

Hi there,

I have been reading info about this topic. I hit a pigeon yesterday between 80-90mph just above the visor. By the sounds of it I was bloody lucky! It was very painful and felt like getting punched in the face big time. sore neck in the morning. It’s a shoei helmet no visable damage although on impact the sunglasses bit came half way down into my eye line. At first sun glasses didn’t want to move on the switch so I just manually pushed them up. However I stopped and took the helmet off and when I put it back on they were fine. My question is there a place you can get shoei helmets x-rayed or should I be buying a new helmet? When I bought the helmet the salesmen said if I ever dropped it, it I should get a new one. He said as it damages the cement lining. Is this just salesman bullsh1t or should I be listening.

Holy Tread Resurrection Batman!

There is a lot of guff about dropping helmets or impacts. In most the protection is the inner padding. You do more damage propping your helmet on your mirror than dropping it on the floor or head butting pigeons.

For the sake of the thread - a mate of mine was killed when a pheasant hit him in the face whilst riding at speed. It's one thing I keep remembering when the needles head skywards.

Crikey an old thread indeed . Yes , a bat hit me on the helmet once . I don't know what became of it . When I say bat I mean the small flying mammal not a cricket bat . And when I say helmet ....

He said as it damages the cement lining. Is this just salesman bullsh1t or should I be listening.

A lot will depend on the way your helmet was made. If it's just Portland cement it won't be nearly as tough as a good ready mix concrete, but it will be lighter and so should help with the stiff neck.

:thumb:

Nothing more than insects on the bike, but the one right on the Adams apple hurt a lot. With cars I have hit pretty much every mammal and most birds native to the UK. I did manage to avoid the Wallaby on the Loch Lomond road.

Hi there,

When I bought the helmet the salesmen said if I ever dropped it, it I should get a new one. He said as it damages the cement lining. Is this just salesman bullsh1t or should I be listening.

He wasn't Fred Flintstone by any chance :lol: