Heated grips coming loose

Dav3y

Can anyone recommend a glue to use for my heated grips as the throttle side has come loose and i'd like to secure it properly.

The original glue with the grips was like a rubber solution you get with bicycle puncture repair kits. It lasted a good few months.

I have since tried a general purpose glue which was pretty useless and pretty much broke away after a few twists of the throttle.

I guess the fact that both surfaces being a hard smooth plastic finish doesn't help much but i could rough the plastic up a bit with a rasp or file.

Any ideas would be greatly received.

Essentially there are two types of glue, those that 'stick' and those that 'melt' into the material.

A firm setting rubber compound glue is the 'stick' type and (unless there is a rough surface for adhesion) will soon 'break free'.

An alternative is to use the glue that plumbers use to connect wastepipe together - this actually 'melts' the surface of the plastic and forms a bond. Once set, this is very difficult to break free.

:?: Are the grips the right size for the throttle :?: If too large, then you will never achieve a good bond with glue alone. If this is the case, wrap the throttle with 'duck' tape so as the fit is tight and then apply glue.

NB. All surfaces have to be clean and free from oil, etc. before attempting to glue.

:cheers:

Thanks for the ideas. It had crossed my mind to use some sort of double sided tape but then thought I might have trouble getting the grip on without ruining the tape.

There is a little clearance but the grip is certainly not a friction fit nor does it flop around. I might try the wrap/tape idea first and make sure I wrap the tape anticlockwise looking from the bar end to at least tighten things up first and then maybe try the silicone idea as well if the glue still doesnt hold. I'm going to leave the melt type glue as a last resort incase I ever want to remove and refit the original grips which I managed to remove in one piece.

I believe you can get a cloth type tape which might help it take up a bit more glue and increase the surface area for the glue to adhere.

I agree with GoG although you have to be mighty quick (and brave) with the melty type adhesive and you only get one go at where it ends up before it's on there for life!

I've used electrical tape to beef up the diameter of bars before - adding a couple of mm to the diameter using duct tape might be a bit too much.

Personally, I prefer an interference fit to any kind of adhesive - much easier to adjust and change if need be.

Well, job done.

Used some surgical micropore tape. Just one layer was enough to tighten the grip up that I didn't need any glue in the end. Took a fair bit of twisting to get the grip on but it doesn't feel like it's going to come off any time soon. I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the ideas. It had crossed my mind to use some sort of double sided tape but then thought I might have trouble getting the grip on without ruining the tape.

Self amalgamating tape wrapped around the bar, works for me.

• 5 years later...

Holy crap old thread revival Batman

I need to reglue my left hand grip, under a bit of pressure it'll twist and I want to reglue it before it gets worse.

Would just superglue work or would the heat cycles of the grip cause it fail?

I'm not worried about the grips staying on forever but would want to be able to remove them without an angle grinder if they failed and needed replacing