CB750F2N Cafe Racer Project.

So....a bit more stripping down....and a bit more frame chopping.... :wink:

Oh....and the shopping list keeps growing... :roll: Looking at Clip on's for the front....but then realised that the headlamp bracket is in the way.....so I was toying with fitting Ace bars instead of the clip on's....but I know I just wouldn't have been happy with them......so the clip on's have been ordered and a pair of headlamp brackets to replace the existing one.... 8-)

Rearsets have been ordered.....along with front brake rebuild kit.... 8-)

Noticed yesterday when working on the bike that the rear wheel bearings are shot.....but it's not much of a trauma as I was planning on replacing them and the front bearings, swing arm bearings and headstock bearings while I have the bike apart anyway. Just as well I bought the bike as a project....with all the things I've found wrong with it I would have been extremely miffed if I'd bought it as a working bike.....I think the previous owner was less than honest with his description.....but I wouldn't have bought it anyway if I hadn't got plans for it.... :roll:

A couple of pics of the continuing frame chop and dismantling..... 8-)

Got the coming week off....so I'm hoping to get a bit more done.....maybe get the engine out and clean the frame up ready for powder coating.... :wink:

2095309080_MoreFrameChop.thumb.jpg.e560b422c91b6781b16ffc1b62a7e296.jpg

340935308_FrontStripcontinued.thumb.jpg.2d023d2f90f4f5869eb751dbc46be551.jpg

So...although I've posted the pics elsewhere on the forum I thought I would put them here too as part of the build thread..... 8-)

Managed to get the engine out of the frame....after lots of cursing and sweating.....and a bit of improvisation..... :wink:

The engine is sound...just a bit shabby looking....so, rather than a complete strip down (which it doesn't really need) I'm going to clean and paint it up. Then new plugs, oil and filter and see how that goes..... 8-)

Another few packages arrived today......so I've now got the front and rear wheel bearings and headstock bearings. Also got the new headlamp brackets....which will hopefully look OK....although they will probably be mostly hidden by the headlamp fairing (yet to be ordered).... 8-)

Also, after some discussions with the manufacturer, I've chosen and ordered the seat unit.....so hopefully that will arrive in a few weeks....maybe in time for the next holiday that I've got booked.

944034367_Enginenearlyout.thumb.jpg.24654e7470137bae6ce989374cb513e0.jpg

2069862896_Engineout.thumb.jpg.0acdc2c7b6959d07c8b5d54b26ea7066.jpg

• 3 months later...

The project is still moving....albeit slowly. Mainly been getting bits together and waiting for the seat unit.....but, the seat unit finally arrived....hoorah. So I now need to fab some brackets for it and then get some welding done. Then the frame and fork legs and wheels need powder coating.

Here's a PIC with the seat unit balanced in position to get an idea of the lines.....and a pic of the rear light that I got.....checked with my MOT tester this morning and he says it won't be a problem... 8-)

IMG_20140812_164510.thumb.jpg.5a5a67d8119ab1e1e802713d68c67ac6.jpg

Seat unit balanced.

IMG_20140823_111457.thumb.jpg.8ae05f4bba3a2b4cb4fe0e3f9ed3d53c.jpg

Rear light...with a pound coin to give an idea of the size!

Looking good mate. You got a plan for the welding? do you know anyone?

Not got anyone special in mind Matt......had a couple of guys on 100% Biker who said they could do the welding for me......guess I'll see once I get the brackets made.... 8-)

Im no expert on cafe racers, but I reckon your chain might be a bit lose..

Looking good though!!

Yeah, I ran out of adjustment on the chain adjusters.....so I thought I'd move the engine forwards a bit......so far I've moved it to the garage......but I may need to move it a bit further.....maybe to the end of the garden.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

• 2 months later...
Hi Tango, are there any bits we can look out for for you? I do a lot of surfing the net looking at bike stuff :)

barcud

Very kind of you barcud......but I think that the only acquisition I need now is a speedo....and there's one that has caught my eye......but it'll have to wait until after Christmas now........ :wink:

• 2 months later...

Welding to the frame done.......and stripping the old finish off the frame is well underway. I kinda like the "distressed" look......a bit of lacquer to protect it.....hmmmm......but maybe not..... :wink:

IMG_20150201_153732.thumb.jpg.81e38972e1c4130f64532961ecef6798.jpg

Did you wire wheel all that Bob? Must have taken you aaaaages!

Er, yes.......and it's still not finished.......and I've still got the swing arm, engine and fork legs to do.......so, more freezing days outside with my drill and wire wheel to look forward to...... :wink: :lol: :lol:

would of been a lot easier to find a local beaad blasting company bob and saved you getting freezing cold its not that dear to get blasted and if they use the plastic or glass beads it doesnt causing all the peening in the frame either giving you a nice flat surface to paint or coat however you want to

would of been a lot easier to find a local beaad blasting company bob and saved you getting freezing cold its not that dear to get blasted and if they use the plastic or glass beads it doesnt causing all the peening in the frame either giving you a nice flat surface to paint or coat however you want to

No pain, no gain, Steve.......I'm martyr to it..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Slow progress..... But at least some progress..... :wink:

Forks stripped, cleaned, sliders painted, new seals and reassembled.

Stripped the paint off the top and bottom yokes and repainted them.

Just need to paint the frame and clean & paint the engine.....and then the assembling can start..... 8-)

IMG_20150403_133127.thumb.jpg.b0b41e3dbf62c003ee93c8b2829a7edf.jpg

IMG_20150404_153612.thumb.jpg.a824e67d3fb5be19939a5b5208278ea2.jpg

IMG_20150410_171002.thumb.jpg.2b52da8b2149cef4755f79d093db6398.jpg