cbt changes

Consultation response: Modernising compulsory basic training (CBT)

DVSA has today (14 July 2015) published the response to the ‘Modernising compulsory basic training courses for motorcyclists’ consultation today.

CBT for learner motorcyclists has mostly kept the same format since its introduction 25 years ago.

In April this year, DVSA consulted with industry stakeholders on the teaching of CBT courses for learner motorcyclists to make sure they continue to be well-prepared to ride safely on today’s roads.

Following the response to consultation DVSA will look to:

develop training materials to give trainees the knowledge they need

improve and update information about CBT online

introduce changes to the CBT standards checks to focus on core trainer skills

begin risk-based, surprise quality assurance visits (By April 2016, depending on the outcome of a pilot trial)

make changes to the CBT certificate to include courses taken on an automatic machine

develop an earned recognition scheme for those trainers who consistently deliver high quality training

In the longer term we will work with stakeholders to consider changes to regulations, for example, restricting riders who complete CBT on an automatic machine to riding only automatics and introducing a training route to progressive access. Any legislative changes will be subject to a public consultation.

Read the response to consultation

http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type ... orcyclists

restricting riders who complete CBT on an automatic machine to riding only automatics and introducing a training route to progressive access.

Overall I agree that the CBT needs an overhaul. When ever I see someone on L-plates, I know its likely they are going to be unpredictable and I think one days worth of training isn't enough to be able to go out on the roads by yourself. The CBT should teach you more road experience than it does, and having a quick skim through at 4am with heavy eyelids, it seems as though they are looking into doing this. A) having a 2 day session and B) giving more emphasis on the independent riding, which will hopefully up the standards of those new to the biking world

p.s no offence to anybody who has just passed their test

However, personally I think you should be able to go from a twist and go scooter to a geared bike without having to do another training session and forking out even more money. I'm getting fed up of this progressive access bull. They are just creating even more hoops for young riders to jump through, and yet you can learn to drive in a tiny classic mini, then jump in a wide and very powerful bugatti veyron the day after you pass your test...

If they're going to stagger anything it should be that those with a car license can still pass in a day.

No car license means needs more like a week. Terrified me that a 16 year old who has never driven on the road or even picked up the highway code can be allowed to ride around after 3 or 4 hours training. Or half an hour if you listen to the rumours of dodgy test centres.

However, personally I think you should be able to go from a twist and go scooter to a geared bike without having to do another training session and forking out even more money. I'm getting fed up of this progressive access bull. They are just creating even more hoops for young riders to jump through, and yet you can learn to drive in a tiny classic mini, then jump in a wide and very powerful bugatti veyron the day after you pass your test...

Not if the mini is an auto and the bugatti a manual :wink:

Lucky me did my on geared bike, does it mean if you passed the test on automatic before any changes, are you still able to drive geared? They should add lessons on lane splitting for new riders, although I'm new myself, I still have troubles to know when or how can i filter, really unsafe.

Lucky me did my on geared bike, does it mean if you passed the test on automatic before any changes, are you still able to drive geared? They should add lessons on lane splitting for new riders, although I'm new myself, I still have troubles to know when or how can i filter, really unsafe.

you don't even need to know how to filter to pass DAS. why they would put it into a CBT is a little beyond me. It's an advanced skill that you should pick up when you have proper confident control of the motorcycle. I remember struggling with what pedal did what on my CBT and wouldn't have thought of filtering!

On the whole though - I disagree with making the CBT a 2 day affair. Too many hoops to jump through. It will probably end up putting some new riders off. Time to stop wrapping bikers in cotton wool and maybe spending the money on giving some drivers free eye tests.

Having past my CBT just over 2 weeks ago I'd agree that it should be a longer affair for those without experience on the road. I picked it up fairly quickly and felt confident to go on the roads as I've been driving for 8 years so I'd be frustrated now if I had to do a 2 day course. However, there were a few younger people who had never been on the road and I wouldn't like to bump into them trying to filter while driving my car so I can understand if there was changes made to the CBT.

I wouldn't attempt filtering on my bike at the moment as I don't believe I have the necessary skill set yet, but someone without experience or common sense would probably have a go straight away as they see videos of it and think they can do it easily too.

The trouble with CBT is it's trying to be 'one size fits all'

I'm speaking from experience as I deliver CBT training nearly every weekend, and have been for the last 30 months.

It worries me that making it officially longer (and ultimately more expensive) will put people off, which of course will improve accident statistics!

Over the last couple of years I've seen all sorts through our doors at the training school, 16 to 75 year olds, ex off road riders, to complete 'never even sat on a bike before' types. People with full car license and others who got the provisional the day before.

I would say our school has roughly (very roughly) an 90% pass rate, but in this figure I would include those who we sent home on the first day and asked them to come back a few days later as they just didn't quite 'cut it' over a single day.

In affect these people were having a two day CBT.

I'm going to sound old now, but in my day (no we didn't have wooden wheels :booty: ) you just stuck an 'L' plate on outside the bike shop and rode your bike home!

Obviously the CBT being introduced has greatly improved the later set of circumstances.

I also appreciate that today's roads are at best, busier.

However at the end of the day, there is a point when you've just got to let people out on the road to fend for themselves.

Here is a good example,

A typical young spunky 16 year old lad came to our center, he paid his full amount and had an almost perfect day, great bike control, did as he was told on the road ride, listened without texting any mates during the 'talking elements' of the course and left with his CBT. My only concern was that he'd bought a crap to big second hand helmet off a mate. Which I warned him about.

A few weeks later I was driving my car to work, conditions were bad, is was dark, raining and cold. I had a scooter behind me (driving right up my ar*e) with a broken single headlight only working on side lights. The driver was wearing track suit bottoms and a hoodie and no gloves!!!! plus yes you've guessed it, that crappy old and too big helmet! It was that young lad who only weeks before had passed his CBT in almost perfect style. If I'd put my brakes on there is no way he could have stopped in time.

From my perspective, I would offer a two day CBT after an intensive interview, to those who we (as trainers) think require it. however I wouldn't make it compulsory. Of course being a bit cocky and assuming you'll be OK on a one day CBT could end up costing you more if you fail, and have to re-sit.

Just my 2p worth

Nope!

But that's my point,

There is scope for some people to do a CBT over two days.

However, at the end of the day people have to be 'let off the leash' and go out into the big bad world on there own.

As I said in my previous post, just because someone performs well one the day doesn't mean they are going to behave perfectly the day after their CBT.

It is a difficult judgement call on how we (as a society) should nurture our new drivers and riders.

The CBT is just a starting point on a long journey (he said going all Buddhist like :oops:)

As someone who passed their CBT this year I wouldn't mind it being either a 2 day course or a limit needs to be placed on the number of students in a course.

Also post CBT training I wish the L plate restriction would be increased to say a 250cc. Surely letting L platers riding on dual carriageways on bikes that are at their limits at 60/65 is more dangerous than bike that has enough power to safely mingle at the speed limit

An idiot on a 125 is as capable of killing themselves as they are on a 250