PROJECT Kawasaki ER5 500cc Arrived home safely

Today update

Found the whole that was making the ping noise result but she now is being a pig to start

I put fresh fuel in no joys not even flowing into the carbs :/ i squirted carb cleaner down the pipes and stuck the bike on reserve still no joy i blew down the pipes filling the carbs with fuel still no joys,

So maybe a sticky float bowl and crap in the jets.

This weather is horrible so i have come in for lunch and will be back on it later as it has a flat battery atm grrh

Seen a stubby exhaust for £110 on ebay witch i debatting about buying but then i have the issues of getting the current jetting size right.

Right got to being brave i took of all the air box and started to clean one carb at a time.... Until the right on would not come apart all the screws have been rounded!!!! Help how do i get rounded screws of i gave it a good clout with the impact tool no luck i maybe made it alot worst.

Wont fire up didn't adjust anything.

Next stage figure out how to get the carb out of source a working carb from a running bike.

Also there is petrol in the air box ? And fuel from the right hand carb spraying into the airbox

This is the side thats been rounded and is messing about

http://youtu.be/8dVQLYbZxDI

Bare with me i am still learning with big bikes

could be flooding on that carb then if its spitting back into air box to remove screw from float bowl if they have rounded off you can use a small fine chisel and give the screws a tap in the direction to undo (anticlockwise) once they have moved slightly they will normally undo ok then replace then with either new screws or allen bolts

could be flooding on that carb then if its spitting back into air box to remove screw from float bowl if they have rounded off you can use a small fine chisel and give the screws a tap in the direction to undo (anticlockwise) once they have moved slightly they will normally undo ok then replace then with either new screws or allen bolts

Thank you eastanglianbiker for the reply i will try this on Monday

The left hand one isn't doing anything like the right one.

thats because its the right hand one that will dry up of fuel first when left standing on side stand un-used for a long period of time so is more likely to be the one that is gummed up have you tried tapping float bowl to see if that cures it as a stuck float is often the cause,and also if it has got a vacuum fuel tap make sure you havent got it set on prime as that can also cause flooding if float is stuck

thats because its the right hand one that will dry up of fuel first when left standing on side stand un-used for a long period of time so is more likely to be the one that is gummed up have you tried tapping float bowl to see if that cures it as a stuck float is often the cause,and also if it has got a vacuum fuel tap make sure you havent got it set on prime as that can also cause flooding if float is stuck

Hi

I gave it a good tap with a rubber mallet, how would i know if its set on prime there is a little adjuster on the left hand side ill upload a pic soon As i am home

look on the fuel tap if it is a vacuum type there will be no off position just on res and prime make sure its not on prime

That might be my issue i did notice there was no off on the tap so i put it between half way and reserv

What is this for ? Adjusting something ?

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p562/classickid21/kawasaki%20er5%20a3%201999%20project/B4604B83-B977-4685-8329-79F7BB3BCDB4_zpsqodawqun.jpg

In need of help i have a air leak revs very little then idles then almost hunts revs uP and down on its own? Air leak maybe ??

I try to rev it gets to 3k then drops almost cuts out i can bring the revs up some times to 3-4k then drops and cuts out ?

I tried playing with the idle but no help!

Do my carbs need sycronising ???!

before you go messing wwith anything the easist way to see if you have an air leak is spray some carb cleaner or wd40 around the inlet rubbers and see if the revs increase as wd or carb cleaner will burn hotter than the fuel and make it rev up on its own just dont spray it onto the exhaust unless you want a bbq

Thanks for the info eastanglia. I did what you said the revs stayed doing the same i just tried idling screw and setting up as stock and i think i just messed everything up and it doesnt want to know now wont rev or run now :( :( :( not having joys i have put it away for the day it be back out tomorrow

Thanks for the info eastanglia. I did what you said the revs stayed doing the same i just tried idling screw and setting up as stock and i think i just messed everything up and it doesnt want to know now wont rev or run now :( :( :( not having joys i have put it away for the day it be back out tomorrow

sounds like your carbs need to be pulled and cleaned ( a repair kit installed , pilot screw float valve gasket for bowl ) , also go watch a you tube video of bench syncing a pair of carbs before u put them back on , warm the bike up then attach a carb sync tool lol ...ONLY once its warm and carb synced will the throttle idle screw work

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys sorry i have been on to reply, been busy with the festive hoilday, i hope everyone has had a good christmas,

Finally sorted haynes manual for ernie i also listed it on ebay over the hoildays see if i get any offers or a swap for a medium sized van, after the bew year i will keep throwing money at it needs the sprocket carrier rubber replace alot of play! May need a new chain this one is little rusty, front tyre is 1.3mm advisory so that might get done. Overal them bits to replace not bad going i have the carbs to rebuild and set up then ill make a sync set out of glasses tubes etc ;)

So for new years it has been moved from the drive way and well tucked away out of side down some steep stairs stopping any tea leafs from getting it. ;)

Well i just wanted to say hope everyone has a good start to the new year :)

Looks like a great find, and in one of my favourite colours :D I am confused as to how it can have that many miles, but no official owners in the log book?

The dealer is the registered keeper. May have been used as a demo bike, or loan bike.

ER500 were popular training school bikes so chances are that's what the dealer used it for.

Looks like a great find, and in one of my favourite colours :D I am confused as to how it can have that many miles, but no official owners in the log book?

The dealer is the registered keeper. May have been used as a demo bike, or loan bike.

ER500 were popular training school bikes so chances are that's what the dealer used it for.

hi you are spot on, i went back to the dealer ship to collect couple bits for a friend and got chatting to a sale rep.

Can anyone tell me what a 33-34 bhp restricted should rev up to on the speedo ? 3-5 having few issues just need a clear day to go out there and tinker with the bike.

Finally got two days of beautiful weather with bitty wind but its better then rain :D :D :D

Carbs are cleaned both sides :thumb:

tried to bench set them up, both about 0.07mm (guesstimate) on the feeler gauge, will still need some setting up but i think i have solved the few minor problems few leak etc,

i was so excited to get the bike out.... (flat battery) no charger so on hold yet again waiting on borrowing a charger or ill end up buying one of these swanky items

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12000mAh-Port ... OC:GB:1123

How much play should there be in the Carrier ?

personally i wouldnt go buying something like that which is coming in from china even tho it says item location is southall if you have to return it under warranty it has to go to china normally, you would be better off buying an optimate or something similar for t he same kind of money far better deal in my eyes,i have the halfords one that comes with 2 different sets of leads so that one set can remain connected to the battery all the time and the 2nd set have crocadile clipsso you can clip onto any other battery if needed and it can be left on when bike not in use like the optimate as well like this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs- ... ry-charger

personally i wouldnt go buying something like that which is coming in from china even tho it says item location is southall if you have to return it under warranty it has to go to china normally, you would be better off buying an optimate or something similar for t he same kind of money far better deal in my eyes,i have the halfords one that comes with 2 different sets of leads so that one set can remain connected to the battery all the time and the 2nd set have crocadile clipsso you can clip onto any other battery if needed and it can be left on when bike not in use like the optimate as well like this http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs- ... ry-charger

My thoughts exactly. I always check the legal info if I am suspicious. It's it's a Chinese ish name I stay well clear. I try to buy from UK sellers. I got burned once when a so called UK seller sent me an item That came from Hong Kong. Took 3 months to arrive. When I gave negative feedback he went ballistic and said the item was out of stock in the UK (surprise surprise). He started trying to threaten me by saying he would leave negative feedback. So I said whatever and then ignored him.