How many of you went straight for your DAS never riden befor

Went straight into DAS. Failed Mod 1 at my 1st attempt, passed on my 2nd. Passed Mod 2 1st time. Took 2 weeks start to finish and got myself a nice Street Triple R for my 1st bike. That was over 18 months ago. They only go as fast as you make them go!

Had a car licence for about 25 years prior and had a road legal quad for 5 years before getting my full A licence too!

I'm similar to runningman. Apart from a couple of years riding a 50cc around 1980, I hadn't been near a bike for over 30 years.

I did the off road aspect of the CBT on a Saturday and on the Monday I was put straight on a 600 for the on road part.

I failed my Mod 1 first time but passed a few days later, then had Mod 2 four days after and passed- all in just under 3 weeks.

First bike is an F800ST and I just rode as often as I could and as I did my confidence and skills grew and now 7 months in I feel very confident (not overly so though).

While training I went out with pupils who had more recent experience than I had and some were very nervous and not very confident. I'm either a natural :) or 30+ years of driving gave me a bit of an edge with my road sense.

Every one is different and have to go down the road they feel happiest with.

Going for a 125!

Took the wife to the bike shop today so she could hear the facts and figures. Also decided to go for a slightly newer bike than first planned and not bother with a cheap run around car.

Probably going to go for a Suzuki vanvan vr125 as its the one I felt the most comfortable on. I'm still looking at other suggestions but I liked the wider handle bars and upright position. Hopefully resale won't be too hard hit in a year or so when I do go for a bigger bike.

The bigger bikes definately look like a scary prospect when you stand at the side of them. So much physically bigger than you really think about as a non biker.

The bigger bikes definately look like a scary prospect when you stand at the side of them. So much physically bigger than you really think about as a non biker.

Haha I parked the 125 intruder up next to the ninja when I got home today and did think to myself it looked huge! Doesn't feel big when you're riding it though :)

I was comparing it to some real monsters!

They had some gorgeous machines! I feel like I'll never own a sports bike though as the others are just so comfy. Maybe in time.

I'm supprised more people don't learn on a 125 and once past thier test, simply upgrade with a bigbore kit. Easy upgrade on most bikes and great way to learn a bit about how your bike works.

Downside is your resale market will be limited.

It'd be pretty awesome if one of the manufacturers made a frame that could accommodate several different engines, say a 125, 300, and a 600, and then sell the bike (minus engine) and engines separately. Make it nice and straightforward to carry out the swap, and there you go - buy one bike and it'll see you through CBT, A2, and the early days of your full licence, all for less money than buying a new bike each time. Nice bit of repeat business for the manufacturer because they know that you'll be buying the next few engines from them - who needs brand loyalty when you can have a captive market, much easier to work with :lol: And they could probably price it a little bit above the sum of its parts, the long term saving for the customer in theory offsetting the initial hike in start up costs... and if you make the real money on the sale of the frame and 125 engine then make an increasingly slim margin on the other two, you sustain your profits thanks to all the folks that either give up or trash the thing (or it gets nicked) before getting to their DAS :twisted:

Of course it might look a bit funny to have a 125 engine in a frame made to fit a 600, but I'm sure that something clever could be done with it.

It'd be pretty awesome if one of the manufacturers made a frame that could accommodate several different engines, say a 125, 300, and a 600, and then sell the bike (minus engine) and engines separately. Make it nice and straightforward to carry out the swap, and there you go - buy one bike and it'll see you through CBT, A2, and the early days of your full licence, all for less money than buying a new bike each time. Nice bit of repeat business for the manufacturer because they know that you'll be buying the next few engines from them - who needs brand loyalty when you can have a captive market, much easier to work with :lol: And they could probably price it a little bit above the sum of its parts, the long term saving for the customer in theory offsetting the initial hike in start up costs... and if you make the real money on the sale of the frame and 125 engine then make an increasingly slim margin on the other two, you sustain your profits thanks to all the folks that either give up or trash the thing (or it gets nicked) before getting to their DAS :twisted:

Of course it might look a bit funny to have a 125 engine in a frame made to fit a 600, but I'm sure that something clever could be done with it.

To Dragons Den!

I quite like the idea of this. Switch the 125 engine in for the week commute and then stick the 600 in for the weekend rides

To Dragons Den!

I quite like the idea of this. Switch the 125 engine in for the week commute and then stick the 600 in for the weekend rides

Best way to do this would be to make it shaft drive with gearbox and ancillaries as part of the initial purchase. then you could just unbolt engine and disconnect spark plugs. fuel and water connection could be push fit, would mean more regular service intervals.

nice idea (looks for patent online)

To Dragons Den!

Just have to make sure the brakes and tyres are are up to the 600 spec.

Haha I parked the 125 intruder up next to the ninja when I got home today and did think to myself it looked huge! Doesn't feel big when you're riding it though :)

makes no difference when your used to having something big between your legs :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

To Dragons Den!

Just have to make sure the brakes and tyres are are up to the 600 spec.

That's the other bit that would help you shift them despite costing more than the average 125 - all of the road presence and decent quality setup of a 600, but on a 125. No fecking about with silly little tyres as narrow as a bicycle :lol:

I think that weight would be the genuinely tricky thing, if you wanted to make something that wasn't slow as hell with the 125 engine.

If anyone wants to nick my idea and take it on Dragons Den, go for it (it's not like I would have a clue what I was doing) - all I ask is that you remember me when you need to hire someone to market the thing :wink:

I'm jumping straight in!

never ridden before. did my theory and then a week later my cbt first time on a bike. did that a few weeks ago aint ridden since.

on the 25th of jan I'm doing a 5 day intense course with both tests.

omg I cant wait I think it will go well I breezed passed my cbt and I had never ridden before and the weather was horrendous windy and poring doing

I'm still going to do my full liscence fairly soon. I need to get hold of some theory test things. I guess it's worth getting the theory done to spur you on to ensure you do the full liscence as you only get 2 years right?

I've called a couple of bike schools up but they are either fully booked this side of Xmas or closed down until the new year! Bit gutted but at least it will give me chance to get Christmas over with.

I had thought about doing this before I even had my CBT. But the school I went to advised spacing it out to let the stuff I was learning sink in. So I went from zero biking experience to having my A license in about 10 weeks. Did a total of about 5 or 6 full days training in this space of time. Took me 3 goes at the mod 1 test and passed the mod 2 first time. Passed in September and went straight out and bought a street triple r. Have been commuting to and from work on it but looking forward to the good weather to get some longer runs.

I'm of the opinion that spreading it out over a number of weeks worked better for me. It took me a bit of time to get clutch control down and the biggest part of it was getting the technique right in my head between sessions.

• 2 weeks later...
Some great replies to thi head, thanks guys! Especially from tc1474.

It's slightly odd as so many people slate 125s and say they aren't powerfully enough to ride well (think stopping distances etc) but then most say to gain experience on them. I'm just worried a 125 cc won't be powerful enough to carry my 18 stone. I guess it only needs to get me around town.

I was in a similar boat to you. I was advised to get a 125 to practise then do the tests. I knew I wouldn't enjoy riding the 125, so wouldn't get as much experience out of it as I could of. I did my cbt in April and passed my Mod 2 in July. Havnt looked back and would of missed out on some fun rides if there was a 125 sat in the garage still.

I would do your cbt and then see how you feel like others have said. Once your cbt is done you will know what to do.

Me personally just went straight in for it but I had bikes growing up so knew the basics

• 2 weeks later...

I had never ridden bikes as a kid. Although my dad had a few so was around them.

I went straight into DAS with 0 prior experience. Passed my CBT in September and had my full license by end of October. I've now been riding just over a year and am loving it.

I am 28 now so I had been driving since i was 17. This helps with road craft, meaning I could think more about me and the bike rather than how to join a roundabout etc...

I went straight to DAS but I had been driving a car for about 40 years previousy and was once a driving instructor so moving to a bike was about getting used to two wheels instead of the four.

I agree with some of the other comments about training is not really happening on a crash course of three day, it is more about getting to pass test which is not the same. If I hadn't had so much road experience in a car I wouldn't have been safe on the bike. Just my opinion though.