Help!! Engine seized??

Barnacle Potato

Hey guys! Me and my friend have been working on a couple bikes and with this one we think the engine might have seized, we get the sound that you hear and the exhaust puffs ever so slightly. It's an old bike not been started in years but everything on it is basically new, put a new battery, fuel and oil in but still the same. Any help?

">
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you tried new spark plugs?

Easiest way to loosen seized engine I know is to take the spark plugs out, put a few drops of oil down the cylinders. let it soak in for a while then rock the bike back and forth whilst in gear to try and free it

or just strip the engine and you'll soon see if its seized :lol:

Have you tried new spark plugs?

Easiest way to loosen seized engine I know is to take the spark plugs out, put a few drops of oil down the cylinders. let it soak in for a while then rock the bike back and forth whilst in gear to try and free it

or just strip the engine and you'll soon see if its seized :lol:

Can spark plugs go from storage?

you say you put new fuel in it but did you check the tank was clean and rust free ?have you stripped the carb down and made sure the jets are not blocked from old fuel going to gel like state ?and the video answers the question ...you know it has not seized because its turning over,my betting is its fuel related problem remove the plugs and tip a few drips of fuel into each cylinder refit plugs and turn it over then and see what happens

you say you put new fuel in it but did you check the tank was clean and rust free ?have you stripped the carb down and made sure the jets are not blocked from old fuel going to gel like state ?and the video answers the question ...you know it has not seized because its turning over,my betting is its fuel related problem remove the plugs and tip a few drips of fuel into each cylinder refit plugs and turn it over then and see what happens

The carb is completely fine and the tank did have gunk in it but I don't know what I need to be able to clean that.

Pull the plugs and have a look at them, if they are bone dry It will probably be a fuelling issue like EAB said. If they are wet then it could be you aren't getting a spark. take them out and ground them against the engine, start bike up and look for a spark.

Try all the easy solutions first before stripping everything down :lol:

if unsure about the spark you can always push finger into plug cap to check spark................if when you turn the engine over on the start button you suddenly leap around cursing with your hair stood on end....................then the spark is fine :mrgreen:

Got a little bit further, there's no gunk in the carb. Fuel is going into it and I'm pretty sure it's going to where ever it goes next but still won't start. I put some fuel in the spark plugs and it almost started, very close but still won't start up.

I think it's going in the carb but not exiting it into the engine, the spark plugs are dry so clearly not getting fuel and the pipe where the carb connects to the engine is dry. The only place where there was fuel was in the carb

I had a bit of the same issue on my SR125 engine... Which all started when I went down to 1st from 2nd at 10k revs. Oops. Anyway that had low compression so I just bought another engine off eBay.

That sounded horrendous when fitted and eventually just went pop and lost compression, sounded a lot like yours but with slower cranking.

Anyway got my money back for that engine and bought another which is all good.

Bottom line for me was that lack of compression isn't good news the time and money spent rebuilding I just thought sod it, change the engine. Only takes a couple of hours at the most to change mine so no brainer.

You might want to think about doing the same if you've concluded that it's a compression issue...

Could simply be valves out of spec as well. Easy fix.

pour petrol over it and set it alive .... work a treat with a my old cb125 tdc Twin

jokes a side ... have you tried bump starting it ? sound like its turning over too quickly could be no spark ? or weak spark change the plugs maybe even the ht caps check earths and coils, if this is all find check the plug after trying to fire it make sure you have fuel on the plug :) ....

Where are you spuds? You might be local to a friendly and helpful forum member. Or Hoggs.

Dicing with death Mr Fro :roll:

• 8 months later...

The carb is completely fine and the tank did have gunk in it but I don't know what I need to be able to clean that.

clean the tank with cider vinger takes time but works :) in the process doing it to one of my tanks :D