PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! Bike only running on 2 cylinders.

tmetcalfe09

I'm really not a mechanic so please go easy on me!

I own a kawasaki gt550 and the other day as I was riding home, the bike all of the sudden started to run on only two cylinders.

The coils on my bike run to cylinders 1/4 and 2/3, It is cylinders 2/3 that stopped firing.

I wasn't getting a spark from either plugs 2/3, but when i swapped the wiring of the coils over, I got a spark, so there's no problem with the coils.

I then tested the wires that lead from the cdi unit to the coils, and all wires are fine.

Therefore I figured the only thing it could be is the cdi unit.

I ordered a new one and plugged it in and it started, all exhaust pipes got hot and I sighed with relief!

During the time it took me to attach the cdi unit to the bike, it has returned to only firing on 2 cylinders again!!!!!!!

If there is any advice you can give me, if someone has experienced something like this before? I would really appreciate it!!

Thank you, Tim

it could well be the pick ups round the crankshaft down in the left hand casing one might be breaking down as it gets hot......oh and welcome to the forum please pop into newbies and introduce yourself if you plan to stay around as we are a friendly helpfull bunch........................most of the time...............(keep quiet six :) )

The coils on my bike run to cylinders 1/4 and 2/3, It is cylinders 2/3 that stopped firing.

I wasn't getting a spark from either plugs 2/3, but when i swapped the wiring of the coils over, I got a spark, so there's no problem with the coils.

I then tested the wires that lead from the cdi unit to the coils, and all wires are fine.

Thank you, Tim

Hi Tim, if you're saying that when you swapped the coils over, you starting getting a spark on plugs 2/3, then I would suggest that you have just proved that the fault lies with one of the coils.

When you swapped them over, did you verify that you were still getting a spark on plugs 1/4 ? If you didn't, it might be a good time to try ??????

Ok, so the bike is only running on one cylinder now.

I have taken the casing off on the RIGHT hand side where the timing pickups are.

Using a multimeter I scratched the surface of the pickup, then placed the other end against the 4 terminals inside the junction box which is located under gt550 fairing.

I got no continuity off any of the wires that lead from the terminals to the pickups.

I then punctured the wire that runs in to the pickups, and got continuity off all four wires.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does this then mean I've solved it and my pickups are shot?

Thank you, Tim

Hi Tim, if you're saying that when you swapped the coils over, you starting getting a spark on plugs 2/3, then I would suggest that you have just proved that the fault lies with one of the coils.

When you swapped them over, did you verify that you were still getting a spark on plugs 1/4 ? If you didn't, it might be a good time to try ??????

thebiglad, I figured once I'd swapped the wires from the working 1/4 coil into the 2/3 coil, and got a spark, that would mean there is nothing wrong with the coil?..

I don't think there's suppose to be continuity from the pickup to the terminal is there?

I've just watched a couple of youtube videos and have instead used the multimeter against two of the terminals inside the junction box and got a reading of 0.54 ohms for both.

Does this then mean the pickups are fine?

Kawasaki ....

Had similar on my gpz500 m

Turned out to be the Sidestand switch partially closed trying to fool the bike that stand was down when it wasnt

and that let only out of three cylinders fire?

Bike was running along fine and about a mile away from leaving it started coughing sputtering as if out of petrol ...and misfiring .. stopped .. investigated bike ran fine stood there .. ok set off again . Started doing it again within minutes .. stopped .. again running fine . As soon as i lifted the stand it started burbling . The plunger was hovering in that position trying to cut the engine but not enough contact to close fully.

Have you got a spark on the dead cylinders? I still think it sounds like carbs..... :wink:

So i didn't have a spark on the plugs that lead from coil 2/3, however when I swapped the wires from the (working) 1/4 coil to the (not working) 2/3 coil, I got a spark.

I know you had the tops off the carbs but have you looked in the bowls?

They're easy enough to drain in situ with a bit of plastic tube and a long screwdriver/hex key (whichever you have). Collect the fuel from the bowls in a jar or something - if there are any bit of crud in there then you'll need to take the carbs off and clean them out. Probably stick a filer in the fuel line too.

I know you had the tops off the carbs but have you looked in the bowls?

They're easy enough to drain in situ with a bit of plastic tube and a long screwdriver/hex key (whichever you have). Collect the fuel from the bowls in a jar or something - if there are any bit of crud in there then you'll need to take the carbs off and clean them out. Probably stick a filer in the fuel line too.

:stupid:

Also check that there's actually fuel in the float bowls and it's not water...... :wink:

• 1 year later...

Thank you, Tim

Yeah, that's how I read it as well , surely this proves that it IS the coil ? Also when a coil fails it can appear to be ok again when it is cold and fail again as soon as the engine heats up .