Compressor

Imagine I know nothing about compressors. It's not hard because it's true.

What compressor should I buy and why? If you ask me why I want one then it's probably just for pumping up tyres - but let's pretend I'm going to use it to renovate the XJ with paint and stuff.

Your expertise, please...

Most costing about the £75-100 mark will certainly do yor tyres and some paint spraying, but to do a lot of spraying or using other tools you will need to check the air delivery rate.

Spray guns etc will have an air consumption figure and the compressor will need to be able to supply it within reason.

But as you don't use the tool 100% of the time the system has time to recover and that is where the air resorvoir comes in so the bigger the air reservoir the better. To spray a lot you should also budget for a water trap, these not generally supplied with the compressor.

Hope that makes some sense, it did to me. :wink:

I was given an old Aldi or Lidl special a little while back - it's only a tiddler (2.5hp - 50L) but is fine for popping the beads and little jobs like that. I don't expect it'd be much good for a windy gun or spraying.

Check the free air delivery and Max pressure on the tools you want to use and see if your intended compressor will handle it. Plenty to choose from if you don't mind a second hander from eBay.

I bought one last year for a bit of spraying, very similar to the one on the screwfix link and I have never used it. Interested?

Not at the moment, I figure this will be a post-Xmas splurge...unless Santa reckons I've been good. :angel12:

But cheers :)

What compressor should I buy and why? If you ask me why I want one then it's probably just for pumping up tyres - but let's pretend I'm going to use it to renovate the XJ with paint and stuff.

To pump tyres up, get an ALDI outfit for £89

To restore the jag you need 14cfm and a 100-150 tank on 3hp running off 16amp mains connector like a cooker type point. Will that do? I know that sort of thing as I restore vehicles for a living.

To restore the jag you need 14cfm and a 100-150 tank on 3hp running off 16amp mains connector like a cooker type point. Will that do? I know that sort of thing as I restore vehicles for a living.

The XJ that Mawsley is referring to is his Yamaha XJ900.....so a slightly smaller project.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

I bought one last year for a bit of spraying, very similar to the one on the screwfix link and I have never used it. Interested?

Not at the moment, I figure this will be a post-Xmas splurge...unless Santa reckons I've been good. :angel12:

But cheers :)

Well, give me a shout, it's sitting in the shed.

The XJ that Mawsley is referring to is his Yamaha XJ900.....so a slightly smaller project.... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Ah that answers that!

I have a Wolf branded compressor. It's the same machine as the Machine Mart stuff, just cheaper. The only differences are the colour and that it comes with Euro fittings instead of UK ones. But if you're buying cheap air kit from Lidl /Aldi then that comes with Euro fittings as well.

Mine is the 50 litre tank which will spray car panels fine. It runs small air tools but not things like sanders or cutters which gobble the air.

If you are looking at the budget end of the market it's all the same Chinese stuff with different brand names so you might as well buy the cheapest version you can. Just don't buy cheap hose - it's worth spending a bit more on that.