Wire heated grips to igintion- how easy?

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

Possible confession time :oops:

Went out earlier to get petrol, stopped at shop and parked up. Just happened to check back on the bike and noticed some lights were left on. Went back to bike and found it has parking lights which is one notch beyond the steering lock. Now I've only recently started to use the steering lock after finally realising how the key works (it's a bit fiddly). So now I'm wondering if I managed to put the parking lights on by mistake and drained the battery. It's very possible. :oops:

Possible confession time :oops:

Went out earlier to get petrol, stopped at shop and parked up. Just happened to check back on the bike and noticed some lights were left on. Went back to bike and found it has parking lights which is one notch beyond the steering lock. Now I've only recently started to use the steering lock after finally realising how the key works (it's a bit fiddly). So now I'm wondering if I managed to put the parking lights on by mistake and drained the battery. It's very possible. :oops:

Mystery solved!!

Haha

Ha , yeah feeling pretty dopey, schoolboy error...bit embarrassing but at least I can pin point a reason now. I won't (I hope) do it again. I still want to wire those grips into a switched live wire though to prevent any future mishaps. Back on the bike tomorrow for work, driving the car today was just so dull. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We have all done it!

If you haven't then you will still some point!

Im waiting for the time i fill it up with diesel... :oops:

Not done the bike yet but put a couple of quids worth of petrol in the car :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We have all done it!

If you haven't then you will still some point!

Im waiting for the time i fill it up with diesel... :oops:

Not done the bike yet but put a couple of quids worth of petrol in the car :lol:

Yah, i'll say a couple of quid in my old car too, and then it [strikeout]conked[/strikeout] ran out :seeya:

So now I'm wondering if I managed to put the parking lights on by mistake and drained the battery. It's very possible. :oops:

heeeheeee! I almost did this a while back so always check the rear light now before leaving :lol:

So now I'm wondering if I managed to put the parking lights on by mistake and drained the battery. It's very possible. :oops:

heeeheeee! I almost did this a while back so always check the rear light now before leaving :lol:

Yes now i check, double check and then once more. Something else to be paranoid about rather than my front sprocket dropping out again :D

I love the idea of heated grips, or even better heated gloves, but not sure my battery could take it? (TT600).

Its not the battery you want to worry about its the charging system

the battery is purely there to start the bike once started the charging system charges the battery back up and supplies the rest of the bike with power

The charging system will cope fine with the extra load of heated grips and gloves if you so wish :)

I love the idea of heated grips, or even better heated gloves, but not sure my battery could take it? (TT600).

the battery is purely there to start the bike once started the charging system charges the battery back up and supplies the rest of the bike with power

The charging system will cope fine with the extra load of heated grips and gloves if you so wish :)

I keep hearing horror stories about "reg/rac" etc. charging systems always going bust.. makes me a little apprehensive

If its going to go its going to go

fitting heated grips won't cause it to go

Guess you've solved it for me, looks like I'm off to buy the Oxford Hot Gloves unless someone can convince me a different pair are better?

Seems so easy to install, 2 wires on each battery terminal, thread the other end of the wires through your jacket. Jump on the bike and connect them. Boom.

If its going to go its going to go

fitting heated grips won't cause it to go

Guess you've solved it for me, looks like I'm off to buy the Oxford Hot Gloves unless someone can convince me a different pair are better?

Seems so easy to install, 2 wires on each battery terminal, thread the other end of the wires through your jacket. Jump on the bike and connect them. Boom.

Route the feed through a relay wired to the ignition - That way, any short cct when you are not on the bike will not cause a problem!

For a few quid, it is well worth 'getting it right'.

:cheers:

I keep hearing horror stories about "reg/rac" etc. charging systems always going bust.. makes me a little apprehensive

That's because its a triumph not heated grips

That's because its a triumph not heated grips

That was my point, triumphs have shitty battery issues... I own a triumph... that's why I was dubious.

I don't know... most bikes have small battery issues. I've been stranded so many times by flat batteries in winter :(

Wire heated grips scare me - I either rip the wires when i forget them linked, or do as the OP says and leave something running. With the alarm drawing current too.

Wonder if anyone has used these:

http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/keis-x900-heated-outer-gloves-dual-control-x900-battery-packs-and-charger/

They can be independent battery powered instead of drawing current from the bike. No trailing wires! But expensive..!