Headlight range.

Oasis

I don't think there is much of a solution to this but thought I would ask anyway.

I often travel down a section of motorway that has no lighting what so ever. At 4am it's dark, believe it or not.

My headlights don't throw enough light forward for me to see what's coming up on the surface of the lanes. Makes my bum twitch when there's heavy rain and the road is known to flood.

I have it set at the highest level but where I naturally look is still in darkness.

Thought about raising my spot/fog lights to cover this but they could blind on coming traffic when getting back onto A roads. I'm guaranteed to forget to turn them off.

Anyone any ideas?

It might help to know which bike and what bulbs you've got fitted. Mostly just upping the wattage isn't a brilliant idea as you end up with blown fuse (if you're lucky), melted loom (if you're not) and in the long run a lot of lenses will discolour if too much heat goes through them.

The Nightbreaker bulbs are meant to help.

I used to have to ride overnight out to Anglesey down the A55, in a mid-winter blizzard there was no visibility at all. I used to follow a truck - until one night the visibility was so bad the truck was half-way to Swansea before I realised we weren't on the A55 anymore. :oops:

I found setting the headlight to the highest level didn't actually help as the beam isn't hitting anything - it's just going out into empty air. If anything I'd either drop the main beam a bit, and ride to the road you can see, or set your spot light to light the road surface leaving your main beam to cover anything higher.

I'm currently looking at some Cree led spots - but haven't had time to do much yet. I've got one on my push iron and it sends a beam for a hell of a distance.

It's a 2014 Triumph explorer. Twin headlights with two H4 bulbs. I've tried them set lower for the reasons you said but still no good.

I have two SW motech spot lights fitted but they would be a dazzle risk for on coming traffic?

I've just been looking at brighter bulbs but they all have very mixed reviews.

That's another problem. Having the high beam on solves the issue. They're fantastic! So good they blind the north bound traffic in the slow lane of the opposite carriage way. A few trucks with more lights than a UFO landing have fried my eyes in retaliation.

What happens if you lower the headlight aim so that high beam can be used without dazzling oncoming traffic on a motorway? You said you'd raised the aim (presumably trying to make dipped beam reach further) in which high beam will be aimed very high.

Sadly its the same. I have tried everything I can think off, trying it out every morning.

The only thing I can think of is a brighter bulb but don't want to throw money at crap.

Sadly its the same. I have tried everything I can think off, trying it out every morning.

The only thing I can think of is a brighter bulb but don't want to throw money at crap.

My old drz was same, setting headlight aim was no different. Eventually figured when i got on it the aim was completely cocked up.

Osram bulbs do make a difference. They use different materials so make a better light output but no wiring mods needed