Advice on first bike

I'm looking to take my CBT and A2 in February of next year once I turn 19, having only ridden a bike once before. I don't plan on getting a 125cc, or else I'd have taken the CBT by now. I've had a driver's licence for over a year now so won't be new to the roads entirely.

I'm not a huge fan of the 300cc market, so I plan on getting a 600 restricted for the A2 licence. I'd appreciate some thoughts on this, and also advice on what sort of bike would be best considering my position.

And like Tango said, try them all. That's the way found the MT07, had numerous 600s including the Hornet, CBR, Fazer but nothing hit the same fun factor as the MT. (Has to have the akrapovic system fitted though!)

I've heard a lot of great things about the MT - my only concern is that amount of power with such little experience..

mt is a very easy going bike. The power is there but not does not come in one big lump. Giving it a fist full doesn't see you sat on the road watching the bike cart wheel into the ditch. The riding position is also very confidence building but not too aggressive that you feel the need to be trying to reach 150mph everywhere.

MT-07 would be my choice.

Perfect choice.

I passed my CBT end of July and spent 8wks on a CB125F just learning bike roadcraft. I've had a drivers licence for over 30 years but riding a bike and driving a car are quite different things so those 8wks were the best learning I could have done.

Passed my Mod1 & Mod2 and went and bought an MT-09 and it really is a great bike. The MT-07 was a bike I considered but the dealer I first looked at told me there was a waiting list so I started to check out the MT-09 and settled on that instead.

• 1 month later...

Word of caution - if you have held your license for less than a year you might find some dealer's politely declining your request for a test ride. At your age, insurance is a big consideration.