The yoof of today...

MarkW

Just got back from the gym, where I saw a young lad struggling like crazy on the standing lat pull-down machine. I went over and asked him how much he weighs. "A little under 70 kg" he said. He had the pin in at 80 kg.

These are the people I'll be relying on to pay my pension... :roll:

I am delighted to say that I have no idea what a "standing lat pull-down machine" is. I intend to continue this state of blissful ignorance.

Is it something used for cutting bricks :?

Is it something used for cutting bricks :?

I'm betting it's half as much fun - unless you meant that in the 'crimping one off' sense, in which case a seventeenth as fun.

No , that would be cutting logs .

Just got back from the gym, where I saw a young lad struggling like crazy on the standing lat pull-down machine. I went over and asked him how much he weighs. "A little under 70 kg" he said. He had the pin in at 80 kg.

These are the people I'll be relying on to pay my pension... :roll:

Maybe he was trying to get out of paying for your pension, as well as his own. :lol:

We passed a jogger yesterday. I told my daughter, "if he'd set off earlier he wouldn't have had to run." [tm. Dadjoke]

I normally wonder what they stole

I usually assume they're after the person that stole their dignity.

They are Just on thier way to book early replacement knee surgery.

I normally wonder what they stole

I usually assume they're after the person that stole their dignity.

They are Just on thier way to book early replacement knee surgery.

One of my fitness-fanatic friends tried to get me to do the Great North Run with her a couple of years ago. When she phoned I was sitting on the sofa watching Wheeler Dealers with my feet on the coffee table and a mug of tea balancing on my stomach, stuffing the remains of a Chocolate Orange in my face.

"Sarah, I'll be honest with you: it's really not going to happen..."

I am delighted to say that I have no idea what a "standing lat pull-down machine" is. I intend to continue this state of blissful ignorance.

It's a bar at head height that is attached via a cable over a pulley to a weight stack, which you lift by pulling the bar down to your waist. Basic physics dictates that you can't pull down more than your own bodyweight: add even one kilo more than you weigh to the weight stack and it won't budge: you can lift your feet up and swing off the damn thing and nothing will happen. Even without knowing what the machine is you'd have figured that out in a nanosecond when you saw it, but this guy was practically giving himself a brain haemorrhage with the effort, and still the penny hadn't dropped!

The sitting pull-down is different, because you can jam your thighs under a roller to pin yourself to the seat and then potentially pull more than your body weight.

Going to the gym may prolong your life, but only by the same amount of time you spend in the gym...

Yeah, I hate the gym - it bores me to tears. I'm trying to strengthen my left knee and right wrist at the moment (cue dodgy 'exercise' suggestions from Six :lol: ) both of which are knackered after years of training on hard wooden floors.

My rancid body is falling to bits... :(

Going to the gym may prolong your life, but only by the same amount of time you spend in the gym...

Yeah, I hate the gym - it bores me to tears. I'm trying to strengthen my left knee and right wrist at the moment (cue dodgy 'exercise' suggestions from Six :lol: ) both of which are knackered after years of training on hard wooden floors.

My rancid body is falling to bits... :(

image.jpg.b8917ee89e226d6901152a890f9933a0.jpg

It's a bar at head height that is attached via a cable over a pulley to a weight stack, which you lift by pulling the bar down to your waist. Basic physics dictates that you can't pull down more than your own bodyweight: add even one kilo more than you weigh to the weight stack and it won't budge: you can lift your feet up and swing off the damn thing and nothing will happen. Even without knowing what the machine is you'd have figured that out in a nanosecond when you saw it, but this guy was practically giving himself a brain haemorrhage with the effort, and still the penny hadn't dropped!

The sitting pull-down is different, because you can jam your thighs under a roller to pin yourself to the seat and then potentially pull more than your body weight.

Ow, I didn't read it properly and thought it was the seated one you meant. I was a little confused as to why you thought it was such a terrible thing :mrgreen:

Ow, I didn't read it properly and thought it was the seated one you meant. I was a little confused as to why you thought it was such a terrible thing :mrgreen:

Guess you weren't pulling your weight in this conversation! :mrgreen:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/daduntsh.gif

That's what I figured - I was just impressed you could pull your own weight! I'm not there yet, but then I do weigh 100 kg...

My all time favourite gym moment was when a bloke who was absolutely caning it on the treadmill dropped his iPod, and for some reason just stopped running to pick it up. He immediately got spat off backwards at speed, at which point the guys on his left and right who saw it happen in the mirror cracked up laughing and all got flung off as well. Within a matter of seconds there was a whole heap of them on the floor. I was laughing so hard I had to lean on the wall. :lol:

The yoof of today owe us nothin. We have left them will massive bills, over priced houses, obesity, the fiction of improved chances with a university degree, an increasing wealth gap and overheating earth. So if a guy wants to get it wrong in a gym, at least he is doing something about the obesity crisis.