Anyone installed a Gear Indicator?

If so, are they fairly simple to install?

I know they are not essential but it's an optional extra that I wouldn't mind having. I would also like to know if they are worth spending the extra cash on for a good quality one or if some hase purchased a cheap £10+ job from eBay and has had good results.

If you buy a cheap one form ebay thats not plug and play then you will have to splice in to the stock wiring! which is not always a good idea

you can buy them that are plug and play but not always for every bike so you would have to check

They are easy to fit though

Now thats out the way why do you want one? if you buy one then one day you will look at it and think "that was a waste of money"

I put one on my CB1000r, it plugged into to the diagnostic plug, was easy to do and set up , don't know about set up on other bikes , I fitted one cause I kept going for 7th gear .

Now thats out the way why do you want one? if you buy one then one day you will look at it and think "that was a waste of money"

Why do I want one? Just a nice feature. A little like a SatNav, there are not essential when you have road signs directing you but it's nice to have (just my opinion).

Why do I want one? Just a nice feature. A little like a SatNav, there are not essential when you have road signs directing you but it's nice to have (just my opinion).

You didn't just compare a gear indicator to a sat nav! :lol: :lol:

A sat nav is not just a little feature it is much much more than that :lol:

Anyway if you want one get one but you will wonder why you wasted your money on it! you will always try to find that extra gear :lol:

Some of them don't even work when stopped depends on the bike

Anyway if you want one get one but you will wonder why you wasted your money on it! you will always try to find that extra gear :lol:

I don't disagree entirely.

I suppose I could of given a better comparison, but I was trying to highlight that it was just a preferable part to my riding and not everyone would use one like myself.

Back on topic... thanks for the info. I will have a look around and make a decision sooner or later.

I don't disagree entirely.

I suppose I could of given a better comparison, but I was trying to highlight that it was just a preferable part to my riding and not everyone would use one like myself.

Yeah something like a volt meter would have been a better comparison :lol:

Its each to their own

I fitted one for a mate a few years ago when they first came out and a few days later he took it off as it was a waste I know others who have fitted them and thought the same but on the other hand I know people who love them and can't live without them

You can make them for not a lot of money if you know how to program a arduino and wires a screen to it :lol:

this was built to replace a dash but also had a gear indicator built in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a4fuzByhOE

Stu Stu Stu.... You don't try and find the extra gear cause you can see your in sixth, cause the gear indicator tells you so :D

Stu Stu Stu.... You don't try and find the extra gear cause you can see your in sixth, cause the gear indicator tells you so :D

If you remember to look :lol:

And I only have five gears :crybaby:

Fitted a Healtech unit to mine. It was just plug into diagnostic connector and it works.

Main reason was so I know when in neutral.

I know the bike has a neutral light but on the 1250's it is a common problem the switch fails. Not the easiest switch to get out to clean, so gave up and bought the indicator. Hasn't stopped me from trying for 7th gear. But I don't stall it any more looking for neutral. :wink:

• 1 month later...

I think I'm pretty keen on getting a gear indicator, at least while I'm starting out. This one looks good and claims to be plug and play with my CBF600S, and is less than £40 delivered.

I've looked through the workshop manual for my bike (thanks Spanner!) and seen a few diagrams showing the DLC/data connector, but can't figure out if it needs any fairing removing to access it. Anyone happen to know? Don't want to inadvertantly take on a much bigger job than "plug and play” sounds! :lol:

I think I'm pretty keen on getting a gear indicator, at least while I'm starting out. This one looks good and claims to be plug and play with my CBF600S, and is less than £40 delivered.

I've looked through the workshop manual for my bike (thanks Spanner!) and seen a few diagrams showing the DLC/data connector, but can't figure out if it needs any fairing removing to access it. Anyone happen to know? Don't want to inadvertantly take on a much bigger job than "plug and play” sounds! :lol:

Hi take a look at this , pictures 3&4 :thumb:

http://www.bikersoracle.com/cbr600/forum/showthread.php?t=18456

Hi take a look at this , pictures 3&4 :thumb:

http://www.bikersoracle.com/cbr600/forum/showthread.php?t=18456

Excellent googling that man. Thanks! :cheers: