Riding in this weather

Phooey

I left for work this morning at -3 degrees C and after scraping the frost from my seat, scraping the ice off my mirrors and negotiating the miriad of drain covers out of my cul-de-sac, I got on my way. Fog like pea soup and roads slippery I daudled along at half the speed limit (which was 60 mph). First time I'd ridden in such bad weather.

Was I worried about hitting someone I didn't see through the fog? NO!

Was I concerned that I might fall off on the slippery road surface? NO!

Was I thinking about being late for work? NO!

I was smilling and thinking, 'thank f*ck I bought these heated grips!' :D

Heated grips is the 2nd best thing on my bike, the full arrow system being the best!

I haven't ridden in the colder weather so far this year, I haven't needed to but it isn't something I look forward to. I've ridden in the ice and snow before and wasn't a fan so I admire people who do go out when the weather is like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing worse than freezing fog, l would be inclined to leave the bike at home and catch the bus. If caught out ride accordingly, never go faster than the breaking distance you can see, stick to the tyre lines in the frost l would keep well away from the middle of the road preferably to the outside tyre tracks as generally the salt if its been spread will be thrown into the gutter or in the middle of the road where the beads - gravel collects making another hazard to ride through. As already said, keep warm a dry take your time stay safe.

Driving to work isn't an option at the moment. Where I am based we have ONE parking space allocated to the entire maths department. Someone didn't do their maths!

I can park the bike though. Bus is £6 a day and takes nearly two hours - getting out of Weston and into Bristol in rush hour is a nightmare!. I can get to work on the bike in about 45 minutes to an hour. Weather permitting

cold weather is fine with the right gear. Sleet is frickin horrible. I remember getting caught on the motorway once when it started sleeting. you open your visor and you get sleet in your eyes, you close the visor and the sleet sticks. you open it a crack and everything fogs up and you can't see a thing. Worst experience ever!

cold weather is fine with the right gear. Sleet is frickin horrible. I remember getting caught on the motorway once when it started sleeting. you open your visor and you get sleet in your eyes, you close the visor and the sleet sticks. you open it a crack and everything fogs up and you can't see a thing. Worst experience ever!

Coming home on the motorway last night my visor was freezing and the more I tried wiping it off the more it hindered my view. Heated visors is what we need for the winter!

Coming home on the motorway last night my visor was freezing and the more I tried wiping it off the more it hindered my view. Heated visors is what we need for the winter!

That would be great. However after last few years of riding in freezing conditions I am more steering into approach "F*ck this!" Opposed to "F*ck it :D " Being honest it's how I summs up/make most of my life decisions. This winter and all other cold days I will just stick to a cage and have my bike for nice dry sunny days... It's not loosing the passion of being out but loosing the point in riding carefully type thing because of the snow and stuff :roll: From 2017 I am officially becoming a sunny and dry day rider only :thumb:

From 2017 I am officially becoming a sunny and dry day rider only :thumb:

I have been for the last 10 years :lol:

I only have the bike for fun I walk to work as its round the corner and have always had a car

The bike is not for commuting on its a toy 8-)

Yeh same here , i got up this morning , lovely out , sun shining blue sky I thought hmm bike... but roads damp and greasy , cold and a bit of frost and as my stalker Sleepy said its not about losing your passion it's about enjoying your self and riding how you want to ride and not freezing your nuts off.

I only have the bike for fun I walk to work as its round the corner and have always had a car

My bike is for fun only just a toy nothing else :thumb: oh ok...Are you self employed or do you got a pimp ? :lol:

I am driving a car to work and loving it :D

Would really like to attend some forum ride outs but all depends of the weather...I used to not care for it but those silly days are over now. It's not that I become wiser but maybe just less stupid 8-)

...as my legend Sleepy said its not about losing your passion it's about enjoying your self and riding how you want to ride and not freezing my vagina off.

True true :D

My bike is for fun only just a toy nothing else :thumb: oh ok...Are you self employed or do you got a pimp ? :lol:

I am driving a car to work and loving it :D

Would really like to attend some forum ride outs but all depends of the weather...I used to not care for it but those silly days are over now. It's not that I become wiser but maybe just less stupid 8-)

...as my legend Sleepy said its not about losing your passion it's about enjoying your self and riding how you want to ride and not freezing my vagina off.

True true :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=09KBrn0QH4E

Are you self employed or do you got a pimp ? :lol:

I work round the corner not on the corner :lol:

10 mins walk and I am at work! some of the lads at work take the piss because I don't use my bike for work :roll: these are people who only do 500 miles a year to and from work :lol:

:mrgreen: I was originally going to "like" this post but would it mean that I like whispering eye :shock: Ahahahahaha :lol:

10 mins walk and I am at work! some of the lads at work take the piss because I don't use my bike for work :roll: these are people who only do 500 miles a year to and from work :lol:

Yeah yeah suuuuure :wink:

People have no clue.I work with people(questionable term) that asking/wondering why I am not riding my bike to work... Those are people that do not ride a bike and I am sure never been on one. Why I am sure of that hmmm Maybe the fact I work 250 miles (one way) away from home :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: I was originally going to "like" this post but would it mean that I like whispering eye :shock: Ahahahahaha :lol:

People have no clue.I work with people(questionable term) that asking/wondering why I am not riding my bike to work... Those are people that do not ride a bike and I am sure never been on one. Why I am sure of that hmmm Maybe the fact I work 250 miles (one way) away from home :mrgreen:

500 miles round trip, what do you use... a Helicopter :?

I think "home" is 250 miles away and Sleepy lives and works in York :lol:

I live in York but work away...(travel to work once a month) :D

You should be going on your bike then :D

You should be going on your bike then :D

...oh I do. 8-)

But being serious for a moment I do tend to go out on my bike in the morning and riding all day and night so yeah done few times 200+ miles one way trip easy just stopped for petrol... I am not really the one that like stopping for long breaks and things.When it's sunny and roads are dry I am out. I will rest when I am dead..or when I get back home :mrgreen: