Project Yamaha R125 Engine Rebuild

Classickid21

i took the engine into a local garage to check the timing, they did so but they charged me £60 and filled it up with oil witch i drained and put running in oil insted. so all day spent putting engine in fixing any problems, 7pm comes i take battery of charge and put on the bike it turns over doesn't fire engine light flashing ?

i only tried once didn't sound right ? help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1fXIcGn5s

i am going to check the timing again tomorrow, annoyling i paid cash i have no proof of the work they done :/ i am worried i just wasted money i don't have.... i have a little bit of money saved this pile of junk has cost me £2000 buying £1000 in parts and god now how many hours :( HELP ME PLEASEEEEE

Ooohhhh that sucks, I had none starting issue with mine after rebuilding, I swapped the injector, checked the timing, swapped the cylinder head and it started, did it all at once so wasn't sure what it was :lol:

Like Joeman said, check the basics.

Good luck!

You always seem to get in situations like this!

Check the basics, spark, fuel, then see where you stand.

He does :lol: I love Classics posts, probably for the wrong reasons .

You always seem to get in situations like this!

Check the basics, spark, fuel, then see where you stand.

He does :lol: I love Classics posts, probably for the wrong reasons .

Same, you really couldn't make it up! how does one person get in so many tricky spots?? :lol:

Same, you really couldn't make it up! how does one person get in so many tricky spots?? :lol:

I have an apprentice like this, he has a motorcross bike that needed a new spark plug. Now needs big end bearings after he 'fixed it'

I have an apprentice like this, he has a motorcross bike that needed a new spark plug. Now needs big end bearings after he 'fixed it'

Sounds like the sort of damage I could do :mrgreen: .

Sounds like the sort of damage I could do :mrgreen: .

Only with your torque wrench :booty:

lol, i just end up being rushed, if i had a warm work shop i would be all good in the hood but i don't. so working on the floor (partners parents place) with basic tools, with her old man that HATES MY GUTS for no reason (nothing todo with me nobbing his only daughter ;) )

the bike i brought was from a friend who has run in it the ground. i made the stupidest mistake in my life and decided to buy it from him because i knew he had it for a long time..... did he not mention that he did nothing to the engine rarely serviced it.... so i ended up doing bits here and there. then i decided i had a week off with out work so i would do all the little bits here and there. when i am rushed i get stressed, then do things wrong..... i need a warm work shop and the bike to be there not on partners drive way with her as*hole of a father that medels/agruments and causes me to stress.

god i cant wait for my theory test bring on feb the 4th, i can then finally book my test and go on to driving my rusty turd (land rover) witch being my luck will be horribly clapped out bag of poo.

i am tempted to put the r125 in storage and transfer the insurance back on to a Tzr

Turns over very slowly fully charged battery, cleaned earths checked all the loom was plugged in. I jump started it it speed up turning over but no spark from coil, i am going to try a tzr rec/reg and coil on it this weekend. The plug isn't even getting wet when jumped it. The fuel pump is priming as i switch igition

Before jump starting i checked, the compression it was turning over slowly still showing 50 psi ? Id re check this once its turning over propperly.

Classickid I admire your attitude towards getting stuck in and giving these things a go!

Keep at it, you are so close to having it back in one piece.

:thumb:

Its built and back together but just trouble shooting electrical. I think its regulator/rec

Bike turns over slowly, no spark and no fuel i am hoping to replace reg/rec at the weekend and test coil

I wish I had your patience/persistence/energy with this sort of thing! :shock:

When I'm working on one of my bikes, one little thing goes wrong and it's basically the end of the world :lol:

It's worse for Classic though, you've not got an angry father in law on your case, while trying to fix your bike .

Basics ...

A rebuilt engine will be tight/er so will highlight a bad battery turn over

Check all timing marks manually .

Turn engine over by hand with plug out

Check all wiring connections are in place especially any engine/chassis earths

Check all fuel components

Test spin engine with plug out

Trying other components without basics in place can lead to damage if its a timing or such like

If father in law does know or has a good knowledge of mechanical things accept the help two pairs of eyes are better than one and goes a long way to smoothing relationships

Basics ...

A rebuilt engine will be tight/er so will highlight a bad battery turn over

Check all timing marks manually .

Turn engine over by hand with plug out

Check all wiring connections are in place especially any engine/chassis earths

Check all fuel components

Test spin engine with plug out

Trying other components without basics in place can lead to damage if its a timing or such like

If father in law does know or has a good knowledge of mechanical things accept the help two pairs of eyes are better than one and goes a long way to smoothing relationships

Thank you for the list of bits i am going to check tonight bits above, unfortantly hes not even the slightest mechanically minded annoyingly, i had the friend who sold the bike to me come over last night to take a look as he wired it up originally before i had it hd lights halo lights etc. we both thought it could be the battery or reg/rec so battery is on charge reg/rec on its way, should be here today.

Going to retest the bike later today, if this still dosen't work, then i will run a multimeter over the coil/generator coils check all connectors sensors etc.

Thanks for all the info

Update-

Turns over still no spark

Charged battery

Changed regulator/rec

Cleaned any earths with sand paper

Checked all conectors are connected propperly.

No spark from the coil going to replace this and see if that helps.... Loosing hope very quickly

Battery turns over slowly :/ loosing hope garage down the road said it wont be looked at till after new year ?

Anyone know what it could be thats causing this problem engine light flashes

Had lots of people say battery and reg/rec well its not that ?

Clear head today no stress checked few of the connectors to notice that some of the wires wasn't connecting! also a prong on the connector was bent! Fixed the problem straight away!!!

So happy! 600 miles to run in do i need to re torque the head after 600 miles ?

Clear head today no stress checked few of the connectors to notice that some of the wires wasn't connecting! also a prong on the connector was bent! Fixed the problem straight away!!!

Excellent :thumb: although I was hoping for a bit more drama :lol:

Excellent :thumb: although I was hoping for a bit more drama :lol:

lol ill try make the next job like a episode of Eastenders ;)