Need suggestions on gear...

Hello everyone,

I've been looking around at gear (helmet, gloves,trousers,boots, jacket, ect.)

Could someone give me some suggestions or guidance on good brands?

Being that I'm 16 I don't have the largest budget in the bank but I do have the money to go for items that are actually good.

I'm definitely looking for a full-face helmet, a leather jacket of some sort, good gloves.

I understand that you're classic power ranger looking motorcycle boots are much better, but being that I will be using my 50cc for going to school and back I was thinking of going for these shoes https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/alpinestars-jethro-riding-shoe/136226498/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=3965582&country=uk&gclid=CjwKEAiAg5_CBRDo4o6e4o3NtG0SJAB-IatYp-E2kXHFhrCc5i7ylIwmWQYiDqldZIAze84ozg0shxoCguXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

they would eliminate the need to bring separate shoes to school and getting changed.

Thank you :D

Hands down the best budget bike gear I've owned:

http://www.bikersgearuk.com/

And I've tested it thoroughly! :lol: Tens of thousands of miles in wind, rain, bitter cold, even a bit of skidding down the road on my arse and elbow... :P

Really sound stuff. Not the most flattering fit, but incredibly functional at a great price. Don't be fooled by the "special offers", I've never once been on their site and seen them at full price :lol:

Oh, and if you call them and express interest and ask a few questions, they sometimes offer you an even better deal if you buy a full jacket/trousers combo at once. Can't argue with that!

Also look at Roadskins for the summer months, they do some jeans / trousers that you may get away with not having to change them. They also do an armoured hoodie.

Remember that riding a 50cc for the first time at 16 you are going to crash it a few times, it's part of learning to ride, so expensive stuff will get damaged.

I imagine you wont be riding long distances on a 50cc either and the difference between "waterproof" cheap bike gear and expensive bike gear is how long it keeps out the water for. If you are half hour or less on the bike even cheap stuff is going to keep you dry.

Abrasion resistance? You can only go 30mph.

You probably don't need that expensive stuff.

Have a look at Spada.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I wear Oxford black motorbike boots. Seven months waterproof, and no one notices at work if I leave them on under my suit, or jeans if we go out 8-)

Held black motorbike jacket also goes with suit or jeans, the red Spada winter coat...not so much. But it's warm and matches my bike.

Still trying to find waterproof armoured trousers, my bullit jeans are best, but have to make do with waterproof trousers over my winter trousers, cheaper to replace!

Be careful out there!

Hands down the best budget bike gear I've owned:

http://www.bikersgearuk.com/

And I've tested it thoroughly! :lol: Tens of thousands of miles in wind, rain, bitter cold, even a bit of skidding down the road on my arse and elbow... :P

Really sound stuff. Not the most flattering fit, but incredibly functional at a great price. Don't be fooled by the "special offers", I've never once been on their site and seen them at full price :lol:

Oh, and if you call them and express interest and ask a few questions, they sometimes offer you an even better deal if you buy a full jacket/trousers combo at once. Can't argue with that!

I've looked a bit around on their website and found this http://www.bikersgearuk.com/new-2013-vector-pro-armoured-leather-jacket-red

It looks pretty good to me.. I'll have to look into it more though

Thank you!

Also look at Roadskins for the summer months, they do some jeans / trousers that you may get away with not having to change them. They also do an armoured hoodie.

Remember that riding a 50cc for the first time at 16 you are going to crash it a few times, it's part of learning to ride, so expensive stuff will get damaged.

I imagine you wont be riding long distances on a 50cc either and the difference between "waterproof" cheap bike gear and expensive bike gear is how long it keeps out the water for. If you are half hour or less on the bike even cheap stuff is going to keep you dry.

Have a look at Spada.

Being that I live where I do... it kinda rains all day everyday...

I will definitely have to look at their trousers though.

Yeah, that's a good point. But that's what I'm gearing up for haha.

I know I can only go >30mpg but that doesn't make the ground softer when you get hit off my a car going 90...

Thank you!

Don't be afraid of buying secondhand jackets and trousers.....There are some real bargains around if you look hard enough..... :wink:

Yeah, that's very true...

It's going to be hard to convince the mother that they're not all worn past their best before date...

Thank you :D

I wear Oxford black motorbike boots. Seven months waterproof, and no one notices at work if I leave them on under my suit, or jeans if we go out 8-)

Held black motorbike jacket also goes with suit or jeans, the red Spada winter coat...not so much. But it's warm and matches my bike.

Still trying to find waterproof armoured trousers, my bullit jeans are best, but have to make do with waterproof trousers over my winter trousers, cheaper to replace!

Be careful out there!

Thank you, I'll keep this in mind!

You too :wink:

Blimey :shock:

Our definition of "not the largest budget" differs somewhat [emoji38]

My budget at 16 stretched to Belstaff waterproof overalls handed down from my Dad that didn't fit, a leather bikers jacket (no armour in it) and leather gauntlets from my slightly thinner uncle, a Achillies Stadium helmet with the visor on pop on fasteners from a family friend. I rode in jeans and lace up boots and my Dad gave me a bollocking every time I fell off for ripping the jeans.

I'm spending about £500 on my kids Christmas the main present being an Xbox One S and nowadays that's conservative! If somebody had spent that on my xmas I'd have believed in Santa Claus until I was 16.

We live in a world where it comes easy and they have it all, even when the rents are on benefits. Kids now have no concept of the value of money.

Edited by Anonymous

Have a look at Spada.

Being that I live where I do... it kinda rains all day everyday...

I will definitely have to look at their trousers though.

Yeah, that's a good point. But that's what I'm gearing up for haha.

I know I can only go >30mpg but that doesn't make the ground softer when you get hit off my a car going 90...

Thank you!

Yet people will do 30mph on a pushbike through traffic wearing lycra and a piece of plastic on thier head and nobody thinks twice about what they are wearing.

Blimey :shock:

Our definition of "not the largest budget" differs somewhat [emoji38]

My budget at 16 stretched to Belstaff waterproof overalls handed down from my Dad that didn't fit, a leather bikers jacket (no armour in it) and leather gauntlets from my slightly thinner uncle, a Achillies Stadium helmet with the visor on pop on fasteners from a family friend. I rode in jeans and lace up boots and my Dad gave me a bollocking every time I fell off for ripping the jeans.

I'm spending about £500 on my kids Christmas the main present being an Xbox One S and nowadays that's conservative! If somebody had spent that on my xmas I'd have believed in Santa Claus until I was 16.

We live in a world where it comes easy and they have it all, even when the rents are on benefits. Kids now have no concept of the value of money.

I'm paying for alot of this, of course with some much appreciated help from my family. But the bulk of it will be from my pocket

Those gloves won't last 2 minutes in the rain, and you'll be frozen to death in them once your hands get wet + wind chill.

Oh I see... they won't be any use to me then. Down here rain is boundless...

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.